"Mega Church"

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: "Mega Church"

Postby jjsledge » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:22 am

Been there, done that, was appalled at some of the sermons. Found no true fellowship there, not even in the "home groups" which just reiterated the pastors sermons. Tried it for years. The church failed shortly after I left. Had been up to 10,000 members. Sanctuary held 5,000.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 am

jjsledge wrote:Been there, done that, was appalled at some of the sermons. Found no true fellowship there, not even in the "home groups" which just reiterated the pastors sermons. Tried it for years. The church failed shortly after I left. Had been up to 10,000 members. Sanctuary held 5,000.

Out of curiosity and knowing a little about what you are doing now, how much of the problem was the size of the church and how much was the theology/dogma of the church itself.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am

I have been to megachurches and found that if they are to be successful, it is because members participate in small groups.

There is not any difference between a camp meeting, a community sponsored evangelical crusade and a weekly worship at a megachurch. Large numbers of Christians can gather en masse and have a meaningful experience. It cannot take the place of small groups and the sense of belonging that goes with them.

Megachurches can mobilize more people for a given task than small churches (unless they work in tandem with other churches in the area.

As a single person, I have found that in churches below a certain size, singles groups don't thrive. It doesn't have to be a megachurch, maybe a church with 300 or 400 active members can support a singles group.

Mission work seems to be better funded in large churches and megachurches.

I was able to go on a church-planting mission to Mexico because my church was large enough to support it.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:34 am

bn2bnude wrote:
jjsledge wrote:Been there, done that, was appalled at some of the sermons. Found no true fellowship there, not even in the "home groups" which just reiterated the pastors sermons. Tried it for years. The church failed shortly after I left. Had been up to 10,000 members. Sanctuary held 5,000.

Out of curiosity and knowing a little about what you are doing now, how much of the problem was the size of the church and how much was the theology/dogma of the church itself.

It seems that most of the teaching materials for classes and "home groups" is controlled by a teaching staff/pastors group. It is rare that teaching is free to be led by the spirit. The "home groups" are just more of the same sort of a "honey I shrunk the church" atmosphere. Two hours of talking about a "lesson" and having munchies do not fellowship make. (these comments are the results of two tries at mega-church one non-denominational one baptist)

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:26 pm

jjsledge wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:

It seems that most of the teaching materials for classes and "home groups" is controlled by a teaching staff/pastors group. It is rare that teaching is free to be led by the spirit. The "home groups" are just more of the same sort of a "honey I shrunk the church" atmosphere. Two hours of talking about a "lesson" and having munchies do not fellowship make. (these comments are the results of two tries at mega-church one non-denominational one baptist)

Jerry

I suspected that might be the situation.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:00 pm

jjsledge wrote:It seems that most of the teaching materials for classes and "home groups" is controlled by a teaching staff/pastors group. It is rare that teaching is free to be led by the spirit. The "home groups" are just more of the same sort of a "honey I shrunk the church" atmosphere. Two hours of talking about a "lesson" and having munchies do not fellowship make. (these comments are the results of two tries at mega-church one non-denominational one baptist)

Jerry

If only they were led by the Spirit, but too often without some discipline, a home Bible study can be hijacked by a strong talkative personality pushing false doctrine. I view having deacon oversight of such programs a plus, not a minus. The Holy Spirit is not put off by a systematic teaching program to train members.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Ramblinman wrote:...... If only they were led by the Spirit, but too often without some discipline, a home Bible study can be hijacked by a strong talkative personality pushing false doctrine.
VS
Ramblinman wrote:I view having deacon oversight of such programs a plus, not a minus. The Holy Spirit is not put off by a systematic teaching program to train members.

Alas In my experience The Strong Talkative personality, IS the Deacon! Someone saw those characteristics as "leadership qualities" and that is how he became a deacon. This is not a situation that is necessarily so but I believe that it is all to frequently the case particularly when the person in question sees the office as one of authority rather than service. If a group should have one or more members of a keen mind and plenty of time to get into the scriptures but a deacon who is somewhat lacking in such skills, I think it is a recipe for trouble. If this member happens to be a woman, I suspect it will be even worse.

The overall composition of the Home Bible Study group is more likely to be the problem. If one or several members are more astute than the Deacon It will likely not go well. So properly composing the study groups is potentially crucial. If the groups can be properly categorized and composed then it may be possible to get good functional groups. If on the other hand the groups are composed simply by geographical proximity, I would expect that some of them would be malfunctional.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Like some other strips in these forums, when it comes to churches, I do not think that "size" really matters. What does matter is what is being taught and ministered and whether true fellowship can develop among the members.

I will say that I am personally not as comfortable in many "mega" churches because it is so easy to get lost in the crowd and because such a small percentage actually participate in the ministries and activities of the church. That said, the church we currently attend is well beyond 2000 members and appears to be growing.

We are both active in several ministries through the church and feel appreciated and known. At the same time, we know that we are just a small portion of what makes the church work well.

We have been members of smaller churches as well and thoroughly enjoyed them as well.

However, our favorite times are when we can get together with a few other couples and do an intimate home Bible study together.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Here's an article about a local megachurch pastor who seems not to have his life in order. Too bad, really, because I like the emphases on real-life issues...
http://www.westword.com/2013-08-22/news/gil-jones-the-village/
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 pm

natman wrote:... That said, the church we currently attend is well beyond 2000 members and appears to be growing.

Nathan, I met a hard shell Baptist from the foothills north of here and he said that it was standard practice for them to split when they reached 100. One half would move out, call a new pastor, find a new place to worship down the road, and grow until they reach 100, etc, etc. Not my choice, but everyone knew everyone there!

I can accept a larger church for the same reason you and Mrs Powers can: small group friendships and cell groups.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I heard of that somewhen - not sure when or what group or what the trigger number was.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 am

jochanaan wrote:Here's an article about a local megachurch pastor who seems not to have his life in order. Too bad, really, because I like the emphases on real-life issues...
http://www.westword.com/2013-08-22/news/gil-jones-the-village/

Saw that as I walked by the local Westword box and wondered what it was about.

bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby twist3d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm

I personally never have enjoyed attending mega churches because I feel like I can easily get lost in the crowds of people.

I rather connect with people on a more personal level like you get in smaller churches.
twist3d
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:31 am

By us it is not the getting lost in a crowd. That actually feels protective, and we are only there for one anyway.

It is the levels of noise and action and personal enegy.

I SUSPECT, if we encountered such a thing, we would be stressed out by the sheer psychich pressure.

Desert Father story coming:

One day Abba Arsenius [one of my personal favorites] came to a place where there were reeds blowing in the wind . The old man said to the brothers, 'What is this noise?' They said 'Some reeds'. Then the old man said to them 'When one who is living in silent prayer hears the song of a little sparrow, his heart no longer experiences the same peace. How much worse it is when you hear the movement of those reeds'.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Robert3034 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I've been to mega churches as well as very small churches. They both have their pluses and minuses. I have seen great works that can only be accomplished by large groups of people. On the other hand, I've seen where people get lost in the crowd. However, one can easily get lost in any "crowd" if one wants to. I guess I cannot say a church of any size is inherently good or bad.

My $.02.

Robert
Robert3034
Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity