Israel or Jew

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Israel or Jew

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Petros wrote:Roger Williams being an ancestor of mine...
I knew there was a reason I liked you! A quick scan of the Wikipedia article on Roger Williams indicates that he was a much wiser, more tolerant and centered person than the common run of humans, then or now. I would have loved to know him.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:46 pm

There are not too many on my family tree I would be that interested in knowing - the family includes Judge Hathorne from the Salem Trials, and a mean tempered clergyman said to have been on too close terms with the ladies of the parish. Exceptions include my grandfather who met me though I nver met him and certainly my 9greats grandpapa [if I count ity right] Roger.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Is it me, is it Boston or is it my genes that I have never been comfortable in or near Boston?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

It could be Boston, Petros. One of my sisters lived in Concord for several years--her husband was working at Harvard Smithsonian--and after a few years, every time she had to go into Boston by herself she'd get an anxiety attack! Most people I've talked to who aren't native to Boston and have to stay there for awhile say that, yes, it's that bad. :shock: :cry:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Could be - it is all too true, some places have an aura / miasma / atmosphere, including very strong warning vibes in Albania and at that lake in Upper Michigan. The timers I have had to visit Boston, the weather has not been that bd, nothing really bad ha happened, but I always feel a spritual pressure not notedin mostonther cities.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 am

Ahh yes, Boston and the stress it causes, It seems I remember a trucker song about "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around", which waxes elequent about the difficulty of negotiating the "fan shaped" street plan there that is confusing and difficult to follow and the particular stress caused to the driver of an 18 wheeler trying to simply leave town. I get the impression that Boston simply does not facilitate visitors.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:32 am

And there's the old song about the Boston Metro commuter who didn't have the fare to get off and was condemned to ride the subway forever...
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:02 pm

jochanaan,

Me thinks we are showing our age by dredging up some arcane oldies.

I am not sure but I believe those date back to somewhere around when i was driving my Studebaker Commander or my Flathead Ford before I went off to college.

Oh he never returned,
No he never retuned,
And his fate is still unlearned,
He may ride foever,
Neath the streats of Boston,
He's the man who never returned.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:33 am

A STUDEBAKER? How old are you? How old was it? I don't think I recall seeing a Studebaker [I was conscious of them, had big problems with their design] after my high school days.

Okay, according to a quick web check, Studebaker was still arouind if troubled till 1966, which gets me out of UCLA and over to London, and used specimens would be around, so maybe you are not a much olderr fogey than I have you figured.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 am

Petros wrote:A STUDEBAKER? How old are you? How old was it? I don't think I recall seeing a Studebaker [I was conscious of them, had big problems with their design] after my high school days.

Well the Commander was about 52 vintage and obviously I had to be about 16 or so, and really the car's one big design problem was that its body work was highly prone to rust and given that Michigan overlies an immense salt bed it was used freely on the roads. My Studebaker was referred to by my fellow highschool students as the "Cancer Wagon" and my Prom date refused to be seen in it. So we double dated with an underclass couple where the fellow could borrow his parents car. The Flat head ford V8's did not last past or much past 52, so by the time I replaced the Studebaker with one it was early 60's and that car had a lot less rust on it. I much preferred that engine for working on because back then overhead valve rocker covers regularly drooled oil due to the state of gasket technology (pre silicon gasket goop era). But at the time my brothers had a series of 36 Dodges, one of which was a rumble seat coop. and my dad commuted to work for years in a 39 dodge coop. Those proved to be amazingly durable cars with their reliable flat head 6, an engine design that continued up into the early to mid 50's. Back then you rebuilt (not remanufactured) an engine and you could do that flathead 6 without ever removing it from the engine compartment, so long as broken rings had not torn up the cylinder walls. Pistons could be shot peened to expand them to compensate for wear and a rebuild was primarily just rings, bearings and the occasional burnt valve that was beyond just being re-lapped.

Petros wrote:.... and used specimens would be around, so maybe you are not a much olderr fogey than I have you figured.
Frankly, my parents never owned a new car. And my dad being born in 1902 was around from the early days of wide spread car ownership. Given that mechanical skill was a family trait among the males, we had generations of the family driving cars that others could not maintain or afford to have maintained. In retrospect. I am the first member in the family line to EVER own a NEW car when I bought a Volkswagen Beetle in 1967.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:One of the benefits of CNVillage is that we are a city of refuge for people. Naturism is the catalyst, but their needs go deeper. The only thing I regret is that we are not as much a real world presence as I would like. But even though we are mostly online friends, the words of comfort and wisdom I have found here are real and have been a true help to me (and others).

Very true, without CNV and N-C I would likely never have become a naturist.

Narrow is the gate, and narrow the path: I agree that there is only one gate, but numerous narrow paths. Some are Calvinist, some Armenian, some Baptist, some Pentecostal, etc. While I definitely believe that there is ONE "correct" path, we each need to follow the path that we believe to be correct, studying the Word with a mind that is open to direction by the Holy Spirit, trusting God to give us the wisdom to follow His path for us. We all came through the same gate, and we have the same final destination, but our understanding of where the path leads is somewhat different. However we can fellowship in love where our paths intersect, for us, that place is here.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 am

Bare Truth - your dad a bit closer to my grandpa. My parents 1918/19 - we had a new Ford about 53, the VW bus in 58. My first car was not to be till about 68 - too little budget, too much moving around - London was in there.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:07 pm

jochanaan wrote:And there's the old song about the Boston Metro commuter who didn't have the fare to get off and was condemned to ride the subway forever...

The MTA by the Kingston Trio...
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Ah, me. I had not really connected until the first note brought it alive again. We will not ask when I last heard it. Alas that the bhoys seem so young and the recording seems to old. Reminds my bones to ache.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 am

They're still going, though, Petros. They'll be doing a show in Denver next month! :D
jochanaan
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity