Ok, So which is harder???

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Ok, So which is harder???

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:22 am

At http://cnvillage.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=54442
jochanaan wrote:Hello, Ed. In many ways naturist values align very closely with Christian ones. Now if we could only convince more Christians...! :o

Ok then, which is harder,
-- Winning over a Christian to naturism,
OR
-- Winning over a Naturist to Christianity?

I did not want to hijack Ducth715' s Introduction strip , but jochanaan's post just popped this thought into my head. :wink: .....
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Ok, So which is harder???

Postby Dutch715 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 pm

I would think Christian to Naturism.

It would be easier to tell a fellow Naturist about Jesus than the other way around because
a lot of Christians, not all, have certain ideas about Nudity and equate it to sexual situations.

Wouldn't you agree?
Dutch715
Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I do agree Dutch, although it's just my own personal opinion and not based upon any anecdotal evidence or other data.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Dutch715 wrote:I would think Christian to Naturism.

It would be easier to tell a fellow Naturist about Jesus than the other way around because a lot of Christians, not all, have certain ideas about Nudity and equate it to sexual situations.

Wouldn't you agree?
Well, I can argue it the other way around from scripture:
John, in chapter 6: wrote:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

So from that, it is possible to read that:
-- telling a naturist about Christ might be fairly easy but without the intervention of the Father, "winning that naturist over to Christianity" would be fruitless and impossible,
......... whereas
-- while a Christian might misunderstand what Naturism really is, if their mind is open to understanding scripture then there would not be an insuperable obstacle.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Larryk1052 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I think it would be easier to have a conversation with a naturist about having a personal relationship with Jesus, than it would be to have a discussion with a Christian about naturism. There would be little risk talking to a naturist about Christ, talking to a Christian especially a member of ones church could have very negative consequences.
As for a positive out come with either it would take the Holy Spirit to open up the mind and heart to the truth.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Larryk1052 wrote:..... There would be little risk talking to a naturist about Christ, talking to a Christian especially a member of ones church could have very negative consequences.....

--------------------
I admit that there is a risk of repercussions if the wrong "Christian" is approached about naturism, however I have in the past met some where the risk would be minimal. Of those with approachable minds, if they are Berean in attitude, and have just simply never considered the matter great progress might be made. But, Yes it does also depend on if they are in one's own congregation or church as to how much risk is involved. While on the matter of approaching a naturist, there are some who are down right hostile to any mention of religion, though in those cases, simply changing the subject and never broaching it again will suffice to assuage them.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:28 am

Let it free, if it doesn't come back it was never yours, applies to friends, colleagues, [apparent] brothers in Christ - who may indeed be but compare Paul on the subject of differential scruples.

I recently , communicating with two old friends who had been recontacted after years, saw that, as each of them assumed I was politically where they are and I am not. One said no problem, we talk about what we can agree on or discuss productively. One never wrote back.

In all cases, from politics to linguistic doctrine to Christian doctrine to which team you root for, we need the Spirit helping discern.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am

Petros wrote:Let it free, ........ we need the Spirit helping discern.
:like:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Dutch715 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:31 pm

I have a Christian Pen Pal that I communicate with on a regular basis. Last year I was planning to
go to Little Beach on Maui and mentioned it to my friends. He said that I shouldn't do that and that
it would not be good to go. I tried to explain my thoughts but he was completely against it.

I went anyways and had a great time. We did not discuss my trip when I got back because I knew
that he was not open to the idea.

So that is my experience in reference to the original question.
Dutch715
Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Dutch715 wrote:I would think Christian to Naturism.

It would be easier to tell a fellow Naturist about Jesus than the other way around because
a lot of Christians, not all, have certain ideas about Nudity and equate it to sexual situations.

Wouldn't you agree?

Dutch, at an earlier point in my life I had "certain ideas about Nudity".
It took several friendly conversations over a period of several years with several friends (and some time mulling it over on my own) before I came to the Christian Naturist perspective.

Any one of these friends might still be feeling discouraged that their friend "Ramblinman" didn't listen, disagreed or didn't otherwise act on their suggestion to enjoy life without clothing. I have lost touch with them and there is no opportunity to thank any of them nor give them an update.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Petros wrote:Let it free, if it doesn't come back it was never yours, applies to friends, colleagues, [apparent] brothers in Christ - who may indeed be but compare Paul on the subject of differential scruples.

I recently , communicating with two old friends who had been recontacted after years, saw that, as each of them assumed I was politically where they are and I am not. One said no problem, we talk about what we can agree on or discuss productively. One never wrote back...

I would not want to remain friends with someone who only likes me because we seem to agree on everything.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Dutch715 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 pm

We still have a love and respect for each other and I know where he was coming from. I used to be
the same way and this is where "religion" gets in the way of the "relationship" and I am referring to
my relationship with Jesus. All basic religion does is give you do's and don'ts. Jesus gives you perfect
peace in a relationship with him! :)
Dutch715
Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 pm

ramblinman:

"I would not want to remain friends with someone who only likes me because we seem to agree on everything."

That of course is the other sied of the coin. My sil Ettie - mama to Nice Niece Liesl - has a habit when talking to us of chiming in and apparently appreciating / agreeing with whatever we say. We know [families have grapevines] that these are not even temporarily her actual opinions.

I do not have anyone who agres on all topics. Certainly not Number 1 Son or Herself, who are as good as it gets. What one wants, of course - and needs - is a friend who will listen to your ideas without cutting you and will discuss / debate / argue points so that both grow and mature. Very few actually encountered in my life - the pseudoagreers and the dumpers way outnumber them.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:47 am

Dutch715 wrote:We still have a love and respect for each other and I know where he was coming from. I used to be
the same way and this is where "religion" gets in the way of the "relationship" and I am referring to
my relationship with Jesus. All basic religion does is give you do's and don'ts. Jesus gives you perfect
peace in a relationship with him! :)
:like:
I got very tired of legalism, but I didn't find loose living appealing either.
I found the grace and love of Jesus instead.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 am

Bare_Truth wrote:Well, I can argue it the other way around from scripture:[...]
-- while a Christian might misunderstand what Naturism really is, if their mind is open to understanding scripture then there would not be an insuperable obstacle.

And that's the problem. Most of us here can show from the Bible that our practice in no way conflicts with God's ways--if we're allowed to do so. But in my experience, old conditioning writes a programming loop in many folks' minds that, until they know it's there and why it's there, keeps them from examining what the Bible says, and doesn't say, about social nudity. Their thoughts about us get "stuck in the loop" to where what we say doesn't even register at any deep level.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Next

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity