Christmas ?

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Christmas ?

Postby ezduzit » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 am

So how or what do we do in order to get Christ back in Christmas ?
Ez
ezduzit

Re: Christmas ?

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Perhaps we can start by living Jesus' values during this holiday season. Not obsessing about whether we have enough money to buy the "right" gifts, but giving food to the hungry, water to the thirsty, shelter to those who have none, visits to the sick and prisoners (whether in actual prisons or merely prisons of circumstances or mental patterns)... "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:27 pm

As "Christians", "Christ" should be in EVERYTHING we do or say, not just at Christmas and/or Easter.

We should not be too upset when some or many around us do not share our enthusiasm for these "holidays". We are told that we are "in the world, not of the world". We also must remember that both Christmas and Easter are not "Holy" days that were established in Scripture (as was Passover, the Feast of Tents etc.). However, we (the Church) has chosen to celebrate these days as a means to celebrate the two most significant events in all of human history, the Advent of Christ and the Resurrection of Christ.

We should not FORCE the celebration on others. However, I see nothing wrong with supporting businesses that acknowledge the seasons and the sabbath while not supporting businesses that vehemently deny them, instructing their employees not to say things like "Merry Christmas", or "God bless you", all the while trying to profit from holiday sales. We hold the power of the purse if we choose to use it (and I do frequently and often at considerable cost). We should be grateful for those companies, municipalities and government agencies that acknowledge the celebrations of Christian holidays despite pressure not to.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:46 am

Herself noticed last year that "Merry Christmas" was starting to resurface in the shops.

But in any case, the crux [pun intended} is not the speaking of Christ Mass rather than Krismus, or the imaging the manger rather than Rudolf, but rather - for us, not others - the consistent calm not contentious Christianus sum.

If I know a Kwanzaa celebrant - and I am glad to say I don't, I cannot tell you how linguistically / culturally wrong that emulation of the French Academy is, I am not going to expect Silent Night from him or send Kwanzaa Kards to him. But Christianus sum, not in his face but not hiding it, and I will pray about him.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:34 am

I live in Fremont, California, where there is a large fraction of people who came here from foreign countries where the Christian faith is practiced by very few people. I have noticed that many of the people doing their shopping in the Christmas spirit have no real evidence of Christian faith, by their actions or speech.

In my church we say that if you want to be a missionary you do not need to cross an ocean, you only need to cross the street. Since I moved here in 1977 the city has gone from about ten percent to over fifty percent Asian.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 am

I say use Merry Christmas at every opportunity to remind people what the season is really all about. It doesn't really force one's beliefs on anyone but does keep the Christmas spirit alive. Avoid terms like Happy Holidays or winter break for schools, it's Christmas break. Always was, always will be. I'm tired of the political correctness to please all while pleasing none.

Don't disparage anyone else's beliefs unless truly evil but don't diminish your own either.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, according to this Muslim cleric, saying "Merry Christmas is worse than killing someone" ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8bzLJKOzU
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:19 am

That is close to as good an insight [can you get into Paradise by simply saying Merry Christmas to an infidel?] as the report following up the Australian hostage thing informing us that the shahada is "equivalent to the Lord's Prayer". I expect the guy does not know about the more parallel shema. The Apostles' Creed comes close, but Christianity has nothing as catchy.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 am

Petros wrote:The Apostles' Creed comes close, but Christianity has nothing as catchy.

"Catchy"???
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:07 am

Catchy not the right word?

A. "There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God"

B. "Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one"

Both short, simple, declarative, encompassing the essential points, suitable for a shouted proclamation, battle cry, dying defiance. Easily memorized and accessible even under a strain.

If catchy be the wrong word, I await enlightenment. If Christianity has somewhere a pithy equivalent, I can't think of it at the moment.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

Petros wrote:...If Christianity has somewhere a pithy equivalent, I can't think of it at the moment.

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10:27
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:37 am

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
Petros wrote:...If Christianity has somewhere a pithy equivalent, I can't think of it at the moment.

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10:27

Condensed:
"Love God completely, Love yourself, Love everyone else."
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 am

Not saying it is not good, not saying it does not work for me - but I cannot but feel it is a bit low on the scale of crowd shout appeal. Not into that, myself - but I have known many who are.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 am

Petros wrote:Not saying it is not good, not saying it does not work for me - but I cannot but feel it is a bit low on the scale of crowd shout appeal. Not into that, myself - but I have known many who are.

Petros, Jesus didn't aim for the shouting crowd. He spoke to crowds, but said a lot more one-on-one, customizing his words to each person's needs with life-changing results.

The command to love God completely and love your neighbor as yourself is a very, very simple message but no man has the power to obey it without the love of God dwelling within him.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Next

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity