Easter and Passover

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Easter and Passover

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 pm

from what I understand of Scripture, Jesus was crucified as the Passover lamb was sacrificed. Therefor Good Friday, Easter and Passover are all tied together. In fact Jesus is the eternal Sacrificial Lamb that died once for all.
But this year Good Friday and Easter are in March, while Passover is in April???????????????
Who, why, or what has happened to change this?
If I remember back in previous years, they did occur together.
Thoughts - answers?? Anyone

In Him
Ron :cross:
Last edited by MoNatureMan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Re: Easter and Passover

Postby Petros » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:09 am

Nothing has changed - except the calendar. The fixing of the Julian calendar to give the current arrangement separated the major events of the Westen andEastern churches - though some of the latter have adjusted to conform to the de facto hegemony of the western empire's successor states.

Passover / Pascha are calculated from the lunar cycle, and at some point Christianity modified the rules - so some years the two fall together, but others they wind up apart. Details of the calculatins will be easily available.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:24 am

The Russian Orthodox church uses the Julian calendar to identify Easter.
For example, this year Easter falls on May 1st for them.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:40 pm

And the traditional Hebrew calendar is still used to calculate Passover and the other holy feasts. Yes, it can get confusing! :shock: :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 am

OK I am a purist.
There is no good reason to remove Good Friday and Easter from Passover. Christ is the true final Passover Lamb.
The only reason I can think of (not a good one), is someone(s) want to separate the Christ from the history of the Old Covenant.
I guess I have to go back to original question.
Who and why?

In Him
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 am

Churches are institutions. They are run by the kinds of people who run institutions. They operate in states run by the kinds of people who run states. Why do we as a nation not celebrate X's birthday ON X's birthday, but when it is convenient for government and business?

Say the Gothic church celebrates Easter tied to the traditional paschal moon. Say the emperor establishes a new calendar [which may happen again any time] or the astronomers correct the date [which has happened several times] or Bishop Ulfilas decides that the crucifixion took place last week of March and chooses to place Easter last week of March instead or worrying about the moon.

If any of those happens - you are free to join with like thinkers and set up a separatist church taking its cue from the Jewish calculations. But most won't. The idea is bigger for most than the precisely accurate day.

Meditate also on the substitution of willow withes and the like for palm branches.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Yeh, I understand, i just tend to be a purist sometimes. And a bit more so, when there is no good reason for change.

MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:26 pm

I do not think it as important WHEN we celebrate the death, burial, resurrection and ascension of our Lord as it is that we REMEMBER that it occurred and specifically WHY it occurred.

I prefer to refer to the celebration and remembrance as "Resurrection Sunday" rather than "Easter" since "Easter" harkens to the celebration of the Pagan goddess of fertility, "Ester" (Hence "Easter Eggs" and the "Easter Bunny").
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:55 pm

True. I normally verbally use that, but Easter is easer to type from a tablet 'keyboard'. :(

The reason I even brought this up to start with, is because of the historical Biblical relationship of the events. Like I said. Sometimes I tend to be a purist.

I guess if you are teaching a class on subject and that question of 'why are they not celebrated together', we just respond that somebody messed with the calendar.

In Him
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:Yeh, I understand, i just tend to be a purist sometimes. And a bit more so, when there is no good reason for change.

You can decide what to do... In fact you have 2 or 4 choices...

The following link has some interesting information on Easter. The first is from a Messianic Christian perspective. http://chosenpeople.com/main/index.php/holidays-and-festivals/236-frequently-asked-questions-about-passover

By the way, here are your choices on when to celebrate Resurrection Sunday.

Passover: April 21
Easter-Western: March 27
Easter-Orthodox: May 1
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 am

natman wrote:I do not think it as important WHEN we celebrate the death, burial, resurrection and ascension of our Lord as it is that we REMEMBER that it occurred and specifically WHY it occurred.

I prefer to refer to the celebration and remembrance as "Resurrection Sunday" rather than "Easter" since "Easter" harkens to the celebration of the Pagan goddess of fertility, "Ester" (Hence "Easter Eggs" and the "Easter Bunny").

While we are being purists and restoring the linked Jewish / Christian Passover and expunging the term Easter with its links to the pagan, allow a pedant to point out that SUNday, dies solis, Sontag is just that, the day once dedicated to the sun god as Monday to the moon. The Romance languages [dimanche, domingo] call it the Lord's day, though they keep most of the day names based on the old gods.

Syriac simply calls it "first of the week".

But we cannot consistently dump Easter and Yule and keep Resurrection Sunday and Good Friday.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:59 am

True. It is amazing how much of our everyday language is a reference to a pagan god.

Question from original part of this strip. If anybody knows. Is the date of Passover followed correctly or has it been manipulated too?

In Him
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 am

All I can say is that too the best of my knowledge it has been consistent for a long time. A tradition that counts the letters in each copy of each book of the Scriptures to ensure accuracy will not easily revise things. Nonetheless, the Samaritans and the Karaites, who split off later, have slightly different calendars so they are not synchronized. Same day of the same month - but the months are figured diffrently as by us.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Petros wrote:All I can say is that too the best of my knowledge it has been consistent for a long time. A tradition that counts the letters in each copy of each book of the Scriptures to ensure accuracy will not easily revise things. Nonetheless, the Samaritans and the Karaites, who split off later, have slightly different calendars so they are not synchronized. Same day of the same month - but the months are figured diffrently as by us.

You are correct. The days of the week are unvarying down through the millenia.
The lunar calendar is also not subject to fluctuation.
It is the solar calendars that gradually accumulate error because of failure to account for the fact that it takes 365 and 1/4 days rather than 365 days for the Earth to make a complete orbit around the sun.
The Julian calendar was reasonably accurate at first, but it grows progressively more out of sync with the true date.

However, after 1,461 years, we are back to an accurate Julian calendar. Most folks don't care to wait that long for the problem to fix itself.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:True. It is amazing how much of our everyday language is a reference to a pagan god.

Question from original part of this strip. If anybody knows. Is the date of Passover followed correctly or has it been manipulated too?

In Him
The Jews are meticulous record keepers, Ron. As far as I know, the timing procedures for the Jewish holidays have not changed in more than two millennia. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Next

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity