Another one on NC .. the KJV

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Another one on NC .. the KJV

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 am

Well AN interesting discussion coming up on NC. The view that the KJV is the ONLY valid translation / Version of the Bible.
jay_p
Native Resident

Re: Another one on NC .. the KJV

Postby naturaldon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 am

Hey Jay, what was the basic sentiment in their strip - KJV only or other V's okay or any agreeable conclusions (so far)? I'll try to get there and read it when I can.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 am

The assertion is that the KJV is the only Valid version. Any other translation is "a perversion." and IF you are going to translate the bible into NON-English Versions they must be translated from the KJV to the other language. Not translated directly from original sources. Yeah... If I understand the argument by the original poster the KJV is superior to the source greek and Hebrew texts. I admit I might be wrong about that.
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 am

jay_p wrote:The assertion is that the KJV is the only Valid version. Any other translation is "a perversion." and IF you are going to translate the bible into NON-English Versions they must be translated from the KJV to the other language. Not translated directly from original sources. Yeah... If I understand the argument by the original poster the KJV is superior to the source greek and Hebrew texts. I admit I might be wrong about that.

Um, does this guy know that there is more than one version of the King James Bible?
Most of the KJV-only people at least accept the Septuagint from which it was translated. (at least as far as the Old Testament).
Even Jack Chick never went this far.
I think you may be dealing with a troll over there.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 am

Part of me hopes so. Thus far he has not responded in a remotely satisfactory way to my points
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am

jay_p wrote:Part of me hopes so. Thus far he has not responded in a remotely satisfactory way to my points

That is an understatement.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am

Add in the user who is saying that all sources not used by the KJV (modern translation sources) are Gnostic heresies. It is a interesting discussion. That particular person I happen to know is a Flat-earther. In all seriousness.
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

The discussion has now been closed. :(
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

Well that is that.
The thread has been locked for being to divisive.
I erred in calling him out on his stance on Biblical errancy and he brought it up first interjecting it into the conversation. I was trying to keep the debate on topic and engage on the merits of the argument.
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Hoo boy... some discussions are best left un-discussed. :roll:

This may have already been mentioned in the strip on NC, but did/does the OP know about Erasmus's shoddy job as a translator? https://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

Second, the Greek text which stands behind the King James Bible is demonstrably inferior in certain places. The man who edited the text was a Roman Catholic priest and humanist named Erasmus. He was under pressure to get it to the press as soon as possible since (a) no edition of the Greek New Testament had yet been published, and (b) he had heard that Cardinal Ximenes and his associates were just about to publish an edition of the Greek New Testament and he was in a race to beat them. Consequently, his edition has been called the most poorly edited volume in all of literature! It is filled with hundreds of typographical errors which even Erasmus would acknowledge.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:35 pm

I was just starting to read up on some of that.
But the discussion is shutdown now
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm

jay_p, I checked the strip, saw your well-reasoned remarks among others... and the Babylon Bee article you shared. I thought you might like this one too, if you haven't seen it already: http://babylonbee.com/news/bee-explains-main-differences-popular-bible-translations/

They call the KJV the Knoweth Jesus Version, and the NKJV the Not Knoweth Jesus Version. :lol:

I personally like my Elect Standard Version (though no tobacco-scented pages). :mrgreen:

Also, what are the odds that I found a series of blog posts that provides some good reasons to reference the KJV in regards to nudity in the Bible? I don't know, but here it is: http://thebiblicalnaturist.blogspot.com/2012/01/squeamish-translating-introduction.html
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Maybe you should PM the original poster and invite him here.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Maverick wrote:I personally like my Elect Standard Version (though no tobacco-scented pages). :mrgreen:

Har! Har!
But really, folks. I didn't get a chance to read the strip over there (I'm on the road) but now that it is locked and unavailable (I assume), it's just another reason I'm here... with my NKJV. :mrgreen:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 pm

I saw the translation article.. I found it hilarious.. As far as I know the thread is still there just locked. I would like to know if at any point I stepped out of propriety or was uncivil. I feel like I was firm and polite about keeping the thread on topic not being personal. I almost wish I could appeal the lock.
I have.. Err crossed swords with wmartin before.
jay_p
Native Resident

Next

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity