Homesick for Heaven

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Homesick for Heaven

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 am

What I'm wondering is how can we be homesick for a place we've never been and haven't seen? Is it because we know that all our trials and tribulations will be over? Is it because we know that our sin nature will finally be eradicated? When I was stationed in England in the Air Force for two years, I was homesick for my own country. However, there is nothing here that compares with heaven. The thing is we really have NO idea what IS awaiting us in heaven, and yet we are homesick. Well, at least I am.

Yes, I've got loved here on earth, but I can't afford to go and visit them way up north. I miss them and want to see them. However, what I feel when I think of a place I've never seen is a hunger far greater than any desire to see my loved ones here. I can't explain it. When I hear songs about heaven and especially that talk about being homesick, the tears start flowing, and a lump forms in my throat. Actually, I DO think it's because ALL our troubles will be over, and after 60 years of troubles (and how many more will there be?) I am ready to go home. "This world is not my home. I'm just passing through." There's a song titled, "I've Never Been This Homesick Before." I can't listen to it without longing to see Jesus and my new home.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby LivingFree » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:44 pm

As far back as I can remember, my father kept saying, "We are just pilgrims here on earth. Our real home is in heaven." He is 94 years of age, and he keeps saying in every letter to me, "I'm still waiting for the trumpet to sound." We are too far away to go visit, but I have two brothers closer to him that can visit him and he enjoys that very much. But I do write every week, and often call him also. I think the question of homesickness comes in that we expect something so much better, that we long for it every day. It's so much better that way than having no hope of a future after death. I know there are some people who believe that when we die that's it, there's no "tomorrow." I couldn't live that way. I'm glad I have a future hope with Jesus.
LivingFree

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:45 pm

I believe the reason we have so many suicides is because people have no hope. No hope for this life, and no hope for the next. Believing that this is all there is causes despair. They don't believe it can or will get any better so why go on? They figure they might as well "put themselves out of their misery" not realizing that there is a judgement, and that there is misery awaiting them that is far worse than anything they suffered here if they die without knowing the Saviour. They don't know or believe there is anything after this life, but there are two places where people go after death. Where they go depends on their relationship with Christ--or lack thereof.

The only thing that keeps me going each day is knowing that there is Someone in control other than me Who has it all worked out to my good. The end result will be greater than I can ever imagine. He tells us in John 14:2,3, "In my father's house are many mansions: if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you. I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." What a glorious hope! Why fear the future when you can trust in the Lord. He holds the future! I know I've written about my inability to trust, if not here then elsewhere. It's not easy for me, but it's not impossible either. With God ALL things are possible. He can change even my way of thinking and cause me to trust in Him, because there is NO hope outside of Him.

Yes, I am homesick for a place I've never seen, but I will go on here until He calls me home. Hopefully that will be before I become too old and feeble to be of any use to myself or anyone else. I don't want to become one of the many old people whose minds and bodies are useless, and they're just waiting to die. Of course, I've already got the "waiting to die" part down pretty well. :lol:
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Crafty Mom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

YEP! I'm tired of the un-Godly goings on in this world & homesick for Heaven too!
HUGS & GOD BLESS!
Crafty Mom
Coordinator of Women's & Teen's Forums
Crafty Mom
Women's and Teens' Coordinator

Return to Worship in Praise