Praise for a Glorious Time in the Lord!

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Praise for a Glorious Time in the Lord!

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am

Two Sundays ago I visited a small church. Since I've been in Florida I've searched and searched for a church that needs my singing ability. I've finally found one. My second Sunday there (March 30) I was asked to sing a solo in the morning service, and I did "How Great Thou Art." Sunday evening we had three churches combined for a great three hours (way too short a time) of great singing, praising, preaching, eating, and fellowship. I sang "He Touched Me" and led the congregational singing!

There was one trio there that was fantastic. They would rival many trios and quartets I've heard, and were better than some quartets I've heard. The woman in the trio had a very low-pitched beautiful voice and sang like an angel in my opinion. After doing a solo (or was it two?), she was joined by the pastor of her church and another man. They did four hand-clapping songs that really stirred me up. I think that's one reason I wrote the poem, "The Lamb of God."

What a glorious time in the Lord! I can't wait for the next one. The pastor said that once a month they meet in a different church and do that. I've finally found a church that needs my singing talent and my ability to lead the singing, and I will be joining there Sunday.

Yesterday, I helped to pass out food to needy people. They're a small church, but they're doing what God commanded and showing His love. The people who come for food first have to listen to a salvation message before they get the food to take home--wherever their home may be. May Jesus Christ be praised!
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Strandloper » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 pm

It’s wonderful that the Lord was able to use your gifts in that way, Jon-Marc.
I am happy that you have found a congregation you feel at home in.
I pray that its membership (and pastors) will be open to your nudism, and that nobody will attack you over it.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:46 pm

'Sounds WONDERFUL Jon-Marc. May the praise, worship and good works continue to rise up as a sweet aroma to the Lord. I also pray that this is a church that you can grow into and that can grow into you. No more wandering.

Grace and Peace.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:53 pm

That is wonderful. I love that hymn, "He Touched Me". Three hours would be unbearable with my church!
Maybe, Greg.
Live life in love, for to love is to live!
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Postby Alfie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Jon-marc that's really great to hear. We rejoice with you.
Don't be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind
Alfie
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Sounds as if, though small, they're mighty in the LORD. I'm so glad you found such a wonderful body of believers! :D
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Larryk1052 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:57 pm

jon-marc, any chance you could upload a recording of yourself singing?
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:26 am

Soapbox Preacher wrote:That is wonderful. I love that hymn, "He Touched Me". Three hours would be unbearable with my church!
Maybe, Greg.

Not when most of the time is taken up with music, eating and fellowship. The message was actually very short.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:48 am

Larryk1052 wrote:jon-marc, any chance you could upload a recording of yourself singing?

I would have absolutely no idea how to do that. My computer knowledge is very limited. If I did know how and could do it, it would be without music, and I dislike singing without music--unless it's with others doing four-part harmony. I usually sing bass in a choir (although I'm actually a baritone) and have sung without music, but I much prefer singing with music.

This church has a temporary piano player. The pastor told me that the man is a traveling "music evangelist". He goes from church to church that is in need of his services working in the music ministry of each church until the Lord sends a piano player there. Then he moves on to another small church. The man played for nearly 30 years with a professional quartet, although I can't remember the name of the quartet, and he is GOOD!. Sometimes he sings, but there's no one to play the piano when he does. I have no idea why he didn't use recorded music. He could have played it and recorded it, and then he and the other two who sang with him would have had music.

Anyway, I will be leading the singing (more or less) this Sunday. It's more like I'm following his rather than him following me. I have found that problem a lot with the really great piano players. They are so good that they get the idea that they don't need to follow and would rather lead. The pastor hasn't asked me to sing a solo Sunday. So either he has someone to sing, or he will ask me Sunday morning. I have a song in mind that I can do on the spur of the moment--
I'd Rather Have Jesus."
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Larryk1052 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:56 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:
Larryk1052 wrote:jon-marc, any chance you could upload a recording of yourself singing?

I would have absolutely no idea how to do that. My computer knowledge is very limited. If I did know how and could do it, it would be without music, and I dislike singing without music--unless it's with others doing four-part harmony. I usually sing bass in a choir (although I'm actually a baritone) and have sung without music, but I much prefer singing with music. "

Okay, for starters, Jon-Marc, you can make a recording of yourself singing at church. I know most churches have a means of doing this. Next, there has to be someone in your resort that would know how to get it into your computer and uploaded so we all can experience your heavenly voice. If there is no one at the resort I am sure there is someone here at the village that could help.
Larry in Kentucky

Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Well Larry, I'll ask about that the next time I sing at church, but I have no idea who here could upload it into my computer. I don't see how anyone from the Village could upload it into my computer by long distance. By the way, what's the difference between "uploading" and "downloading"?
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Larryk1052 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:Well Larry, I'll ask about that the next time I sing at church, but I have no idea who here could upload it into my computer. I don't see how anyone from the Village could upload it into my computer by long distance. By the way, what's the difference between "uploading" and "downloading"?

Well you uploaded your advatar picture and you download pictures or documents from the internet.

There is always some computer geek close by, just ask around, post a notice at the resort office or community bulletin board.

I am looking forward to hearing you sing soon.
Larry in Kentucky

Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:17 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:...I have no idea why he didn't use recorded music. He could have played it and recorded it, and then he and the other two who sang with him would have had music.

He may believe as I do, that playing a recording is no substitute for being there so you can respond to the Holy Spirit, and the spirit of the people. Recordings have an artificiality that tends to dampen real Spirit-involvement.
Jon-Marc wrote:It's more like I'm following his rather than him following me. I have found that problem a lot with the really great piano players. They are so good that they get the idea that they don't need to follow and would rather lead...

If he's that good, he should be able to follow you. Maybe all you need to do is to tell him how you want to sing in certain measures. After all, you're doing the singing. 8) If nothing else, you can insist on your own tempos.

If he really thinks he has to lead, he may have forgotten that the purpose of praise singing is to reveal the words' beauty in new ways, not to "clothe" them in pretty sounds. But really, the music is, or should be, like a transparent drape that may enhance a beautiful woman in a picture but does not conceal her form. I speak from experience; I've done a lot of playing as a woodwind player or pianist accompanying singers or spoken-word artists. It's not my job to insist on "my way;" it's my job to underline and enhance what the singer, poet, or speaker is doing. But some musicians forget this. Still, if your pianist is as good as you say, maybe just a word or two might help him remember what he's really supposed to be doing. "A word to the wise..."
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby valiant007 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 am

Awesome Jon-Marc,

I know what it's like to lead praise and worship. a responsibility yes, but an opportunity to use the talents He has given you.

Rejoicing with you, and may this just be the means of bringing the Gospel to many a needy heart and life.

Praising Him.

David :D :D
valiant007
Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Joch,

As a musician you know that the singer(s) sing the song the way they want it or feel it, and it's the musician's job to learn it their way and accompany them and not to just do his/her own thing and expect everyone to follow the musician. The music is there as a guide and can be changed to what the singer(s) want. This man has 28 experience playing for a professional singing quartet, and I can't help but wonder if he followed them or if they followed him.

When I mentioned to him that I might sing something a little different from the way it's written, he said "I'll just follow you." Well, on my solos he does that OK, but on the congregational songs he does his own thing, and I have to race to keep up with him.. I sometimes have difficulty following him because he plays so FAST. I can't move my arms that fast. :shock: I start out at the tempo I want and have to speed up to keep up with him, because he ignores me. Since he does know far more about music than I will ever know, I hesitate to say anything--not knowing how he will take it. I've had experience with people who don't take criticism or suggestions well; I'm one of them. :lol:
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Next

Return to Worship in Praise