Praise for a Glorious Time in the Lord!

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby jochanaan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:35 pm

It sounds like this guy's okay, J-M. You may just need to say, "Could you take the hymns a little slower?" Or, if you know how to direct with your hands, do so.

And I suspect his quartet would never have allowed him to lead them. After all, they're trained pros too. :shock: 8)

What I've found in my musical experience is that it's the second-tier players and singers who don't take criticism well; they see it as a denial of their real abilities. The really great ones are so comfortable in their abilities that they see suggestions about music as just that, not as put-downs. Especially if you put it as a request: "Could you do me a favor and..." That puts your relationship on a cooperative basis; it makes you two a community of musicians, not adversaries. :) There are exceptions, but not many. 8)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 am

I do use my hands, Joch but he plays at the speed he wants, and I can't keep up. I've never been one who knows how to properly give criticism any more than I can take it. I'll have to give it a try anyway. As it is I think I offended someone. Up until now they have had a couple who stand up there but don't use their hands to lead. When the pastor asked me Sunday if I wanted to lead by myself or have them up there with me--I said that I prefer to lead alone. When you have a qualified song leader, why is it necessary to have others up there? I'm not what could be called a "music director" since my knowledge of music is limited, but I can lead congregational singing and use both hands to do it. The couple just stand there and sing, and not very loudly; I sing LOUD when I'm leading so that they can hear me. I've found that the congregation won't sing any louder than I do--so I give it all I've got. If they can hear themselves, then they feel that others can also and usually don't want to be heard.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Praise