Praise and Worship

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Praise and Worship

Postby skidder86 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:45 pm

This is my delight as I belong to a group that is considered praises loudly in prayer meetings. God has been so good all my life and I want Him to know how I feel. I walk a lot and listen to Chris Tomlin and others with his genre of music. I have my head set on and sometimes walk with my hands in the air praising God. I also love Christian Metal and Rob Rock is one of my favs. I am a total rocker and of course this started back in 55 when it all started. We were told it was a fad and wouldnt last. Well, its still here.
skidder86
Resident

Re: Praise and Worship

Postby jochanaan » Thu May 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Nice! 8) I graduated from a very conservative Christian college in 1982 when some still considered rock music "the Devil's music". But one of my college roommates was heavily into Christian rock and introduced me to such groups as Daniel Amos, Petra and (one of my personal favorites) Resurrection Band.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 am

jochanaan wrote:Nice! 8) I graduated from a very conservative Christian college in 1982 when some still considered rock music "the Devil's music". But one of my college roommates was heavily into Christian rock and introduced me to such groups as Daniel Amos, Petra and (one of my personal favorites) Resurrection Band.

Add to that Sweet Comfort Band & Jerusalem (from Sweden).
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby skidder86 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

The priest at our church told me Christian Metal was bad when I told him I liked it. It might just be the metal part as it is loud and fast. Also, some dont listen to the words and judge it thinking of heavy metal. Thanks for the replies and I will check the bands you mentioned that I havent heard of.
skidder86
Resident

Postby Petros » Fri May 17, 2013 6:06 pm

I have known one who believed and preached rock and the like as devilish. Standard hymns witgh as cut off around 1930 were given a pass. Hard t know how he would have handled a challenge based on Psalm 150. Verse 5 is getting a bit further toward heavy metal than I would expect him to be comfortable with.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 pm

I call Psalm 150 "the Musicians' Psalm" because it lists every instrument they had back then. "Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD." (vs. 6) :D
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 am

It would be useful to put on a course for those who have problem with "devil music" demonstrating that [save for electronic signal manipulation] rock including heavy metal has nothing much that sets it off from the musics of other generations and locals.

In fact, someone brought up on Methodist, Baptist, Anglican or Lutheral hymns [not intended as an exhaustive list, I could go on but you may add your own] would likely find the church music of the Eastern church until today and the Western church until the 1500s highly disconcerting.

I think the fixing of the Western scale in Bach's day may be responsible for the phenomenon.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sat May 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Historically, all music is the devil's music until it has been around 100 or more years.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I am with you on the praise and worship aspect. I seldom listen to secular music any more. If you like something a little heavier you should try listening to Jake Hamilton.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:Historically, all music is the devil's music until it has been around 100 or more years.
Yes, and unless you are a music historian, you probably don't realize how true that is. If we were to sing (never mind playing!) only music developed specifically for church use, we'd still be doing Gregorian chants! (Don't get me wrong; I love chants--as one form among many.)

And never forget that if we keep our music too much in the past, we may lose our young people who love the new stuff. :?
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby ezduzit » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

jochanaan wrote:
New_Adventurer wrote:Historically, all music is the devil's music until it has been around 100 or more years.
Yes, and unless you are a music historian, you probably don't realize how true that is. If we were to sing (never mind playing!) only music developed specifically for church use, we'd still be doing Gregorian chants! (Don't get me wrong; I love chants--as one form among many.)

And never forget that if we keep our music too much in the past, we may lose our young people who love the new stuff. :?

I am neither a musician or music "expert" but I really do believe there is more to it ( the current form of music )than meets the eye. My question ....Does it please the Lord ?
Proven fact music does influence us for good or evil...................... this kind of sums up the facts behind the scenes does it not?
Ez

Getting High On Rock Music

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/ge ... music.html
ezduzit

Postby jochanaan » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 pm

ezduzit wrote:I am neither a musician or music "expert" but I really do believe there is more to it ( the current form of music )than meets the eye. My question ....Does it please the Lord ?
Proven fact music does influence us for good or evil...................... this kind of sums up the facts behind the scenes does it not?
Ez

Yet all that is said about rock has been said about nearly every previous music genre. There is a story about a "megachurch" that introduced a new form of music so hypnotic and powerful that some congregants fainted from the emotional overload. The time--12th century. The church--Notre Dame de Paris. The innovation? Harmony--two independent voices instead of just one! :shock:

Syncopation? Bach and Mozart used endless syncopations in much of their music. Low frequencies resonating in our body's core? A big pipe organ's pedal tones produce lower frequencies than any electric bass. High volume? Pipe organs have been measured to produce up to 130 decibels, definitely damaging from up close. I've probably lost some of my hearing just from years of playing in orchestras in front of the brass and percussion sections.

We can't get away from these "sensual" elements in music--so we might as well use them for God's glory. As Larry Norman sang, "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?" 8)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 pm

ezduzit wrote:I am neither a musician or music "expert" but I really do believe there is more to it ( the current form of music )than meets the eye. My question ....Does it please the Lord ?
Ez

You know, there is a name for this in the Churches today... It's called "Worship Wars" and tears apart the body of Christ.

I know, if everyone came around to what you think, that wouldn't be the case. I don't believe, however that that will happen.

I know this war first hand as I was on the front lines several times.

I was a classically trained (but not such a great performer) french horn player (1 semester music major). I also have played guitar and bass in church worship teams and various Christian bands (I was a "head banger").

I remember my first real exposure to this battle. I was attending a church that ministered to the local university. Many who were interested went to a Gothard Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts where, I felt most of his teaching was useful (that has also changed with me today). The one I argued with internally as well as externally the most was his session on the evils of "Rock and Roll".

In a church I attended many years later, I saw a group of the more elderly (and some were founders of the church), drafting a letter threatening the church if they continued to go in the direction they were going. That included a service with no preaching but with marvelous music.

What did the issue come down to with Gothard? Really preference. It was coated with a bunch of spiritual sounding sugar but in the end, the music he said was "holy" or "acceptable" heppened to be mostly traditional hymns and classical -- including music from composers who I knew didn't lead very Godly lives but because the "style was right" it was preferred.

What I read in the article was exactly the reason that I quit as a worship team member. It wasn't the style of music or whether it is hymns or praise songs (or for some churches, even heavy metal). The service was designed to build the emotions to "put you in touch with God", then lower them for the message then finally, smooth things out for the exit so that what was said may stick with the people for a little while longer.

The issue isn't the music style but the use of it for purposes of manipulation.

This is one of the areas where we need to extend grace. If we continue down a path of "My music is holy, your's is not" it becomes a divisive issue.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed May 22, 2013 7:44 am

Amen to that. It gets ridiculous = I was in a church of about a dozen including the littluns, with the "worship team" doing structured programs to whip up our spirituality.

Oy.

It is not the music - though there are musics I am better not hearing and others that melt me. It is the Spirit in the house. Visited a church once - greatest sermons I have eber heard, rfeally inspired preavher. And a choir [with congregational singing] that was the worst offkey missed note limping tempo rxcuse for music I have heard since a play put on by a school of challenged children.

But they were in it making a joyful noise.
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Praise