O Frabjous Day

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

O Frabjous Day

Postby Petros » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 am

Last night, two emails.

One from the Uni - telling me I WILL receive a very much needed refund of $1000 I thought I had likely lost. April and May have been VERY tight; this will help.

The other - more important. An old dear friend that I thought might have dumped me, because after a message in which I made mention of a difference in our political stances I heard nothing. Praise God, she is a lousy correspondent but remains a good friend. I need all of those I can get
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: O Frabjous Day

Postby jochanaan » Wed May 20, 2015 10:59 am

We all need friends! I am glad she remains yours. :D
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby nakedpreacher » Wed May 20, 2015 8:59 pm

I am assuming that "Frabjous" is either a literary reference (which I did not catch) or a coinage of your own. Could you shed some light? Glad to hear that your friend is still your friend. When people cut of communication with me it often takes me months to notice.
Naked Preacher

(maybe Louis Carol?)
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

The Phrase "Frabjous day", a "day for celebration" was a word coined by Lewis Carol under his doctrine of "Take care of the sounds and the sense will take care of itself!! (a takeoff on the proverb "Take care of the pounds and the pence will take care of itself". The word "Frabjous Day"It occurs in the poem Jabberwocky from which you might recgonize the opening lines

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

The word Frabjous occurs in stanza 6 of 7
The entire poem and its background plus illustrations may be seen at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky
The poem is presented there not only in English but 22 different translations of the first stanza are provided. (Surely a linguist's nightmare !!! :argh:

(I hope that does not disturb your sleep Petros :wink: It would make a real good question for a linguist PhD candidate's Oral Exams :lol: )
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 am

Thankee for sparing all of us my excursus on frabjous.

The thought of 22 translations of Jabberwocky - even if partial - bothers me only because I would be honor bound to annotate and grade each one. Given that the full meaning of 'Twas brillig ... is or was available only to the author, if even to him, which some of my Lit Crit colleagues might dispute [for some the author is the last person to know what his words mean, if meaning iis even on the table] that evaluation would be a chore indeed.

I love Jabberwocky, even more than the Snark, as an exprssion par excellence of the ennea5 spirit.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Praise