Remarkable Answers to Prayer!

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Remarkable Answers to Prayer!

Postby MatthewNeal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm

We all know that God answers prayer. He answers little prayers every day along the way, some which are only passing whispers to the almighty for little things (like a green light at the next intersection!). Some are little answers to prayers that we never did even pray (like a near miss where God spared us in the moment from an unforeseen danger). These can make for interesting stories, but in this strip, I'd like to ask you all to share a different kind of answer to prayer.

There are times when we pray earnestly and persistently for something, perhaps for many years, and at last we see God move in and miraculously answer our prayers!

Other times, we find ourselves in a desperate situation where disaster or travesty is bearing down upon us (sickness, death, danger, loss, etc.) so we cry out to God for mercy and intervention... and God moves heaven and earth to come to our aid in a way that leaves us breathless and awestruck.

I would like to invite you to post your stories of
Remarkable Answers to Prayer here in this Strip.

NOTE: Let's allow this strip to be simply a collection of the stories... Responses to or comments about the stories can be posted as new strips in the "Worship in Praise" forum.

Thanks! I can't wait to read the stories!

Matt
MatthewNeal
Councillor

Answers to Prayers

Postby Merwin Van Doornik » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:35 pm

And, Matt, what about the times we cried out to God for mercy and intervention - and the answer was "No?" Remember Paul & his thorn in the flesh. Remember Christ: "If possible, let this cup pass...." But we know the answers to both of these. And I will be so immodest as to add as an example my late wife's prayers (& mine & the intense prayers of others) for healing but the answer was "No" and she died 6 weeks after being diagnosed with multiple internal cancers.

I rejoice with those who do get "Yes" answers to their prayers - and I've gotten quite a few myself - but let us never give the impression that if we pray hard enough or long enough or enlist a pile of other pray-ers that we can get any "mercy and intervention" we want. I know, Matt, that you didn't say such in your post but it would be easy to draw that conclusion from it.
And sometimes a "No" answer (because it produces a greater good - again, remember the Cross) can leave us even more "breathless & awestruck" than a "Yes" one.
Loving Christ above all; loving people & naturism a close second!
Merwin Van Doornik
Native Resident

Postby nytro » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 am

My wife and I work with the teens at our church. We have roughly 45 teens come out for our mid week service, and we have gotten to large to fit in any of the current rooms in our existing building. We were in need to expand, but really didn't have much room to expand any more on our current property.

Our church had the opportunity to purchase the building and property next door to our church property, a store that was going out of business, and we had just under 3 months to come up with $100,000 for a down payment. We didn't want to take any money from other accounts to pay for this building, but rather we wanted to trust God on this. If God was really providing this building to our church, he would provide the money to buy it!

We aren't a real large church, we have some where around 250 members, and roughly 230-250 in attendance on a typical Sunday. We placed the down payment amount a little on the high side, taking a step of faith. With 2 days left before the property was to close, we still needed roughly $37,000 for the down payment. The day prior to closing the church received $37,080 in the mail! The following Sunday even more money came in, which was enough to cover the closing costs.

God is truly faithful, and awesome!

We had our first meeting in the new building last night for our Wednesday night service!
Rob
<n><
nytro
Native Resident

Postby LivingFree » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Rob,

That is wonderful! God comes through for us in big ways, and also in little ways. For us it's usually in little, daily ways. Just guiding our feet, our hearts, our minds, our emotions. Helping us be faithful. Today I spent some time wrapping gifts for family members away from here, and was able to think about them and pray for them. That was good, and a blessing.
LivingFree

Postby Epaphras » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:55 pm

God is faithful. In our deepest times of need, He brings healing and encouragement into our lives in the most inconspicuous forms. It's always amazing to me what a small word of encouragement from a friend or a beautiful sunset can do to lift my spirit from the pit.
Epaphras
Permanent Resident

Remarkable Answers to Prayer

Postby jimmy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:36 pm

It was 43 years ago when I was in the Navy stationed on a nuclear submarine. My mother had gone to bed, but wasn't unable to fall asleep, and as was her custom she decided to pray for those she knew were in need. She prayed for this person and that and finally prayed for me and my shipmates safety. She was immediately able to fall asleep and did so. Later, when I was home on leave, she asked me if I and my shipmates were in any danger on my last voyage. At first I answered no but then remembered the following incident:

My job was running the electronic counter measures equipment (ECM). The routine at sea was 4 hours on watch, 4 hours on work detail, 4 hours off duty, and so on. This incident happened during one of my sleep cycles. When I woke up I returned to watch duty and found the control room in a greatly excited state. During the past 6 hours we had been detected by enemy aircraft. The drill goes like this. The ECM operator says "Con ECM lock on lock on!" This means a radar has locked onto one or more of our masts we had up just above the surface. The office of the watch respondes "CON Aye. Take her deep, set your depth at xxxx, steer course 000, flank speed!" The Chief of the Watch repeats the commands which instructs the helmsman, bow & stern plainsmen to execute the course and depth orders and Engineering responds with the speed change. We were near the ice pack, the ocean was less that 1000 feet deep so our only hope was to slip under the ice pack to avoid being forced to the surface. The surface vessels were almost on top of us and knew right where we were. Their sonar pings were so loud it was a wonder I didn't wake up. All of a sudden the surface vessels started going in circles, a maneuver used when contact has been lost, we continued at flank speed and escaped under the ice pack.

When my mother and I compared date and time of her prays we were astonished to realize the timing of her pray for our safety didn't just match the date but matched the time of day, and not just the time but the very minute contact was lost!! The prayers of a Godly mother avails much!!!

Praise the Lord !!

Jimmy

PS I didn't have to learn to speak Russian
jimmy
Councillor

Re: Remarkable Answers to Prayer!

Postby forsaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

PTL!!
forsaken
Resident

Postby Merwin Van Doornik » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

"The most important thing that one person can do for another is to pray. It is not the only thing we can do or must do but it is still the most important thing." (S. D. Gordon, USA devotional writer of a century ago)...Amen!
Merwin Van Doornik
Native Resident

Postby Sunhappy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:44 am

I don't have any certain single life-altering event to report, except that something very interesting happened to me several months ago. I am in a business that has really been slammed hard by the housing recession and we've been living off savings for more than 2 years. Our account is dwindling badly. In my desparation I turned my prayful attitude from one of hopeless begging to one of confident belief that God would lift us up. In other words, I prayed BELIEVING that our Lord would provide in some way. Within a week a new company contacted me and wanted to give me work. At that point I was grateful for anything, but I never dreamed what a bounty would come forth. For the next 2 and a half months I got so much work from this company I could barely keep up. At last we could pay our monthly bills and even catch up on old arrears. I praised God every day because I KNEW it was He that threw us a life jacket. The work has since tapered off and now I am praying about getting into a new career. I no longer have ANY doubt that we will be fine, as long as we pray BELIEVING in the mercy and goodness of God.
Sunhappy
Resident

Postby natman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:30 am

Prelude:

When I was in high school, studying physics and biology in preparation for med-school, I had come to the conclusion that there was no need of God, that all life sprung up from the "primordial" slime and that the "Church", particularly the Roman Catholic Church, was just a corrupt organization created and led by men to control power and wealth of the people. While in college, I met and started dating a young woman who pretty much felt the same way. As time went on the relationship became physical and she became pregnant, twice. The first time, she listened to some of her friends and decided to get an abortion, which I helped her do. We continued our relationship for a while, but at one point, she decided she wanted to move on and date other guys, so she broke up.

The break up coincided with my second year of college biology, when I was able to study the intricate mechanics and vast information cache of the DNA and RNA molecules. It was at that time that I realized that I was wrong about God; that there was no way that life could have emerged from the "primordial" slime as depicted in earlier classes. At the same time, I had some friends at work who had been asking me to go to church with them. Since I was now "single", I figured, "Why not". What I experienced was vastly different from the Roman Catholic "church" I grew up in. For the first time, I experienced a one-on-one relationship with God the Father, and so came to accept Christ as my Lord and Savior.

About a month later, my ex-girlfriend came to me in the middle of a chemistry lab and told me that despite using birth-control pills (supplied by Planned Un-Parenthood) AND condoms, she was pregnant... again. Initially, she said she wanted another abortion, but either fear from recollections of her first experience or the proddings of God changed her mind. Her parents told her that if she did not abort the child, they would throw her out on the street, so we decided that the best thing to do was to get married and I agreed, especially since my view of human life had been altered by my salvation and because it was my fault she was pregnant in the first place.

Unfortunately, her attitude about God had not changed. This meant that we were now unequally yoked. Although we led a fairly happy life, raising two children, the tension between us was always great, with me trying to pull the family toward God and she trying to pull them away from God.

I got a degree, not in medicine but in Physical Science and worked my way up in a company as a design engineer, engineering manager and eventually the head of design, manufacture and test of electronics. I worked hard and spent my money trying to show my wife that I loved her by giving her the things that she wanted; new cars, new houses, horses, jewelery etc., often working 60 to 90 hours a week.

The Prayer:

After 24 years of marriage and tension, my wife told me she wanted a divorce. That evening, I got on my knees and pleaded with God to change my life, expecting that He would bring harmony to our home. Three months later, our son went off to the military, leaving us empty-nesters. One week later, I was laid off from the job I had for 25 years. Two weeks later, my wife told me that she had filed for divorce.

I continued to pray and had all of my friends praying for reconciliation of my marriage. My wife's father was diagnosed with liver cancer and required help around the house and with meals. I thought this was to show my wife how much I loved her. It caused her to delay the divorce process so that I could care for her dad. Then her dad died, and she started the process again. Then her mother was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer, which required that I help her with care and meals. Again, I saw this as a way to show my wife how much I loved her. Again, she delayed the divorce process. However, when her mother died, she immediately restarted the process and then took a one month sabbatical to visit family out of state.

I was CRUSHED! In her absence I cried out to God day and night for three days. I even considered suicide. We had been given her dad's gun and I searched all over the house to find it, but could not. Finally, one night, while crying out to God in anger that despite my continual prayers and the prayers of all of my friends He had not repaired our relationship, I heard a voice as clear as if someone was standing right behind me say, "LET HER GOD!". At first that only made me more angry and I cried out "NO!!!!!!". I did not think that the God who hates divorce would EVER tell me something like that.

Then, during one of my Bible studies, the teacher, who had prayed for seven years with me over my marriage, closed the study in a prayer and asked God that if He was not going to heal my marriage, to bring me a NEW wife who would love Him as much as I did. I was LIVID! How could a Bible-believing, Bible-teaching man ask God to bring me ANOTHER wife when I was STILL married??? I could barely speak to him for a while.

I talked to two of my pastor friends and they both told me that what I heard was the voice of God and that, perhaps, I should listen to Him. When I decided to take their advice, it was as if a TON of lead had been lifted off of my shoulders.

When my wife came back from her sabbatical, I asked her where she had put her father's gun. She said it was under the bed where it had always been. I looked under the bed and sure enough, it was right there, in the same place I had looked repeatedly when I was contemplating suicide. For some reason, I could not see it.

Coincidental Prayer:

About this time, there was a woman at our church that was going through a similar situation but in reverse. Her husband of 22 years had had an affair and decided he wanted to marry another woman. He abruptly left her and her three children, divorced her and got re-married. Devastated, she began to pray for God to bring her another husband to love her and care for her and her children and gave Him a list of attributes that she desired. Some of her closest friends prayed the same thing. The day that she announced in her Sunday school class that her husband had left her, she literally ran into me, sobbing, as she ran from her class. A friend told me what had happened and I had JUST finished doing a study on the statistical results of divorce. I told her that I would print out a copy of the 300-page report to give to her husband in the hopes that it would change his mind. When she gave the report to her husband, he abruptly threw it in the trash saying, "My kids will be fine!".

After our respective divorces, we began to date. Eventually, we realized that we were the types of spouses we had wanted all along and decided to get married, which we did a year and a half later.

Answered Prayers:

While I personally NEVER prayed for a NEW wife, my friends had. God answered THEIR prayers. My prayer was merely that my wife be a godly woman. God answered my prayers. My wife gave me the list she compiled to give to God and said that I satisfied every single item on her list. God answered her and her friends prayers.

As far as I know, we are the HAPPIEST married couple we know. We have friends and even strangers come up to us all the time to tell us how much they appreciate the obvious love that we have between us, no matter what we are doing.

God DOES answer prayers, just sometimes, not in the way we presuppose He should.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Merwin Van Doornik » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for sharing so freely, Nathan. I'm typing with a lump in my throat & a tear in my eye...but also with a prayer of thanks to the God who (as Fanny Crosby wrote) "doeth all things well....whate'er befall me..."
Merwin Van Doornik
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Praise