A lesson from the Ugly Duckling

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A lesson from the Ugly Duckling

Postby looking4light » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:01 pm

Yep - me again! This has been going through my head for the past two days, and when I told my husband about it, he said I should post it. So... It's pretty silly, I guess, but to me it was pretty profound.

The other day, I had been talking to a friend, and we were discussing how knowing the truth (Truth) sets us free. Later in the day, I was working in our office and the kids were watching a video. I wasn't paying any attention to it, except to note that they were watching The Ugly Duckling. It was background noise, until the time came for the ugly duckling to realize who/what he really was. He began shouting,"I'm a swan!" over and over. It about gave me goosebumps. Hearing the freedom and release in that little cartoon's voice when he recognized his true identity, it went straight to my heart. How long have I struggled through a lack of acceptance, by others and myself? I've been looking for realization and acceptance of an idea of who I should be, not who I really am. It's no wonder I made for a lousy duck - I'm a swan! Created in His image, as He'd have me be.

~L4L
looking4light
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Romans 8:16,17 says, "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirits, that we are the children of God. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may also be glorified together." So, we are joint heirs with Christ. We are children of God! How exciting is that?! It doesn't get any better than that!
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, L4L, it's a little hard to recognize our true beauty when the grocery-store aisles are full of standardized glamor, or to know our true worth when society defines worth by material goods. But, my dear sister in Jesus, you have already revealed your tremendous inner beauty by your words on these forums.

We were never meant to think of ourselves as dirty or ugly, but to rejoice in the beauty of God's created world, including humans, including our own humanness.

May God verify the truth of my words to your heart.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby LivingFree » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:23 am

I echo those very same sentiments. :)
LivingFree

Postby natman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:27 am

Well, they say "If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck, but looks like an ugly duck, it might just be a swan."

Thanks for the great post L4L
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Desert Hiker » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:02 am

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder--it is everywhere we care to look for it, and I am blessed that you are finally able to see and appreciate more of the beauty in yourself, and others as well. And to realize that it is not dependant on, or even fully appreciatted by worldly perspectives.

The world actually encourages us to try and pretend to be something we are not--to paint on a face, and put forth a false front. This only results in our true selves being obscured, and leaves us feeling inadequate, and unappreciated. It is true freedom to realize that people will still accept you--as the real you, and even appreciate you all the more.

To illustrate this; consider the wart hog--not a creature we tend to find very beautiful, because we are not a wart hog--but a female wart hog looks very beautiful to a male wart hog. It is truly all in the eye of the beholder--and with a little change of perspective, we can see allot more beauty, if we care--or dare to.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby natman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:14 am

The key as Christians is to remember who OUR beholder is... God Himself.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby looking4light » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:24 am

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and support! I feel like I say that every other post, but I mean it! :) It sure would be nice if once I realize a truth, it would all fall together for me ( like ducks in a row? :lol: ). I can't believe how hard it is to break free of my own thinking! I do catch myself a lot and try to adjust how I'm thinking, but it sure is a struggle! Logically, I agree with more than I ever thought possible! But I still battle the emotional response daily. A friend told me that I should go with my head and let my heart tag along. That's what I'm working on now. All of your in-put is a great help. :D

~L4L
looking4light
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:49 am

L4L, you remind me of a bumper sticker I saw more than once in Boulder, Colorado: "Don't believe everything you THINK." :lol:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby looking4light » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:23 am

LOVE IT! Where do I find these bumper stickers, and can I buy in bulk? My kitchen could do with new wallpaper! :lol:

~L4L
looking4light
Native Resident

Postby blue eyes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:40 am

Thats how I feel alot lately. Its Jesus that keeps me on the right track. And when I'm nude I feel alot closer to him.
blue eyes
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:54 pm

looking4light wrote:LOVE IT! Where do I find these bumper stickers, and can I buy in bulk? My kitchen could do with new wallpaper! :lol:

~L4L

Uh--Google? :? Or you might commission some custom wallpaper... :lol:
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Worship in Praise