Who Are We - Education

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

How far have you gone through school?

Elementary
No votes
High School
11%
Tech School
9%
College - Associates
11%
College - Bachelors
36%
University - Masters
29%
University - Doctorate
4%

Total votes : 98

Re: Who Are We - Education

Postby Petros » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:40 am

Actually, going by my brother, even Electrical Engineers can be civil if they choose...
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:30 am

Petros wrote:Actually, going by my brother, even Electrical Engineers can be civil if they choose...
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Coastie » Tue May 31, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm a retired Coast Guard, VA disability which is why I'm retired. Was also a Civil Engineer.
Coastie
New Comer

Postby Thomas54 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:01 pm

I jumped around a bit, got an AAS in machine tool, BS in vocational teaching, MA in industrial management. Did spend some time as a manufacturing engineer, was usually a fairly civil engineer except where the assistant plant manager was involed. Now an instructor in industry.
Thomas54
New Comer

Postby DaveT » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:19 pm

The amount of schooling does not always reflect the amount of education. I just didn't happen to decide to go the college route. Grade school was home school. My mother was a good teacher, but it was unstructured. (She would have been a chemist if she'd continued college herself) A library visit once a month, lots of reading, I chose technical books. I sort of finished 9th and then got into chasing after natural healing info. Took the GED at 18 and got a very high grade on it. Ever since I've pursued one area of learning after another, not going far enough to make any one into a paying business. As in mechanical stuff, electric motor technology, radio electronics, horse training, high brix fertility management. Working timber and run a sawmill, both bandmill and circular, has been my income mostly. I ended up starting a small trucking company with my brother, but prefer agriculture. But I also have collected and built enough equipment to do small scale foundry, and machining. People claim I can fix anything but I keep telling them not to claim that, there are plenty of things i can't fix. Modern automobiles for one thing, don't like working on them, but I get forced to occasionally. I have everything needed to manufacture old style machines, as steam engines or whatever. Plan on doing more of that later. This spring other than plant garden I rebuilt an Isuzu pickup, engine first, then cut the frame in half and put a different less rested out frame on it. Now I'm reworking my log splitter, the metal lathe and milling machine come in real handy making custom parts for things. Making biochar out of firewood will be a long term anytime I can find time for it job, and using it to improve soil conditions, planting all manner of food producing plants. My study in natural healing and fertility meshes together and makes me understand that heath begins with healthy soil. And eating what grows without processing the nutrients out of it. Life is much too interesting to let it pass away any sooner than necessary. I want super health and long life. Nutrient dense fertility and a natural raw plant based diet is where maximum longevity is found.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 am

I cheated a little bit on my answer. I was in a Ph.D. program but dropped out after two years. An M.S. was incidental to the program and as I hadn't completed a thesis, I did not get it; some other schools would have granted me a masters based on course work completed.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:04 am

"The amount of schooling does not always reflect the amount of education."

You can say that again - only next time leave out "always"

--
"I cheated a little bit on my answer. I was in a Ph.D. program but dropped out after two years. An M.S. was incidental to the program and as I hadn't completed a thesis, I did not get it; some other schools would have granted me a masters based on course work completed."

UCLA told me I had to retake the exam for entry to the PhD program,. but gave me a master's anyway - consolation prize? I traded iot in for a PhD elsewhere, hated the place.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Will have my BS this December. That's Bachelor of Science, not something else! Although, some of the classes I've had to take towards this degree have been that something else...

I'm holding off on voting until December. 8)
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 am

I have long wondered why BS has not be changed after all these years of bad jokes and disrespectful thoughts. It would take little energy and imagiation. If BAZ can be AB and PhD DPhil, the other track could easily be an innocuous SB.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Quitosam » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Would be nice to see a similar bar graph of the general population for comparison. That might be informative.
Quitosam
Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am

I thought I cast my vote but missed this one. I'm in (masters+).

Edit to clarify... I'm in the category of masters+, not currently in any program. I finished schoolin' a long time ago. :D
Last edited by naturaldon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:39 pm

This is an old thread, but I have new information about myself and family. About thirty years ago we were having a dinner table discussion about college with my son, he was about fifteen at the time. I said that sitting around this table were five college degrees and a teaching degree; AA in Industrial Arts and BS in Electronic Engineering for me and AS in something I forgot, BA in Spanish, and an elementary school credential for my wife. Our recommendation to him was start at the local college and get an AA or an AS first, then a BA or BS, then a MS if he was still willing to keep going, and a Ph.D. if he is really into school. He got his AS, BS in Biology, and then started working for a doctor in Oakland proofreading medical record transcriptions and later promoted to the doctor’s assistant. Subsequent to that discussion, I got a MS in Software Engineering at the age of forty-four, and retired three years ago.

My daughter dropped out of high school, took the challenge test, and got a high school diploma from the California State Department of Education, which is much better than the traditional G.E.D. most dropouts eventually get. She then went on to get an AA and AS at the same time, a BS in Math, and a MS in Civil Engineering. She is now working for an engineering company designing traffic systems.

The other interesting story is my son’s wife, who just happened to be my daughter’s best friend, and who lived in our house because she was afraid to live in her mother’s house because of her aunt. When she graduated with her AA she was the first member of her family to graduate college. She continued with a BS and MS in Early Childhood Development, an elementary school credential, and now has her own classroom for Special Education Needs children.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 pm

All of this reminds me of a guy I once worked with who was in his mid-forties at the time and appeared to be the perpetual student.

He had a cheer he would do that went:

I got my AA
I got my BA
I got my PHD
I got everything
... Except a JOB
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Englishman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:25 am

Having been educated in the UK, I'm not too sure what the various levels of Overpond education are. I left school at 18, having chosen to sample the real world of work before carrying on studying & I never really left. There's a wide ranging list of vocational qualifications plus the odd thing I studied for the fun of it, Counselling, for example. When I was in my mid 30's I did do an IQ test & am pleased to say I have one!

The picking up of qualifications can be fun but does not, I feel, cover the whole of what education is. School of Hard Knocks & the University of Life are all real & I wonder if a degree actually helps a lot when dealing with some of life's crunchy issues. Then again, I haven't got one, so how would I know?
Graham
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:55 am

natman wrote:All of this reminds me of a guy I once worked with who was in his mid-forties at the time and appeared to be the perpetual student.

He had a cheer he would do that went:

I got my AA
I got my BA
I got my PHD
I got everything
... Except a JOB

I have a friend with a PhD. His "chant" is something to the effect of "I have a PhD, LD, and an EdD. Altogether it's not worth a fiddle-deedee." And he really does have those degrees, although I think he made up the LD (or tweaked it) so the line would work.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Please Introduce Yourself