Who We Are - Religious Background

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What is your religious background?

Roman Catholic/Orthodox Catholic
10
8%
Methodist
9
8%
Lutheran
4
3%
Presbyterian
5
4%
Episcopal/Church of England
4
3%
Baptist
30
25%
Pentecostal
11
9%
Non-denominational Christian/Other
40
34%
Latter Day Saints
1
1%
Non-Christian
4
3%
 
Total votes : 118

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm

KCLIM wrote:i am a free thinker.
If by that you mean that you are open to consider ideas that you don't currently hold, that bodes well. but if it merely means that you don't think out of the box but merely in a different box, that would not be so good.

KCLIM wrote: good to hear around!
Could you please explan this phrase, I really cannot make sense of it. as it appears to be some sort of statment in English words but not of a coherent sentence by any English syntax that I am familiar with.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
User avatar
Bare_Truth
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: Ozark Plateau, Southwest Missouri

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby skinnydip » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Methodist now. (recovering Baptist)
If I was born this way it can't be wrong.
God doesn't make junk.
skinnydip
Resident
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby satexsun » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Count me as one of the Methodists (formerly Roman Cathollic).
De Colores!! Sometimes He calms the storm, other times He calms the child.
satexsun
Native Resident
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Northern Georgia

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby christian84 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm a pentecostal church.
christian84
Resident
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:59 pm
Location: Romania

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby nakedpreacher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:29 am

I'm Pentecostal but Trinitarian. I often shrink from the term Pentecostal because so many Pentecostal denominations/fellowships/independent congregations identify themselves as oneness that the terms have almost become synonymous. I have nothing against those people and would like to discuss trinitarianism and oneness with them it love, however it has often caused misunderstanding with those who are not Pentecostals who have made assumptions about me because of that label. I believe everything in the apostles creed, and in addition I believe in the perpetuity of those spiritual gifts which scripture mentions. I would love to discuss any of these beliefs with any of you in a spirit of Love
In essentials unity
in non essentials liberty
in all things charity
St. Augustine (I think, correct me if I am wrong)
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Lexington, South Carolina, USA

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby jasenj1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:30 am

nakedpreacher wrote:I'm Pentecostal but Trinitarian. I often shrink from the term Pentecostal because so many Pentecostal denominations/fellowships/independent congregations identify themselves as oneness that the terms have almost become synonymous.


I currently attend a Southern Baptist church. But in the past I've attended a "Conservative Baptist" church, a non-denominational church, and an ARC (non-denominational, baptism of the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues practicing) church (we had a woman pastor of education, too - but not the head pastor). While I tried the baptism of the Holy Spirit thing, the speaking in tongues never kicked in and I don't feel particularly cheated.

I've always been leery of those who strongly condemn the Pentecostal wing of Christianity - like John MacArthur and his Strange Fire organization. Yes, there are abuses and whackos in the charismatic movement. But there are abuses on the other side, too.
jasenj1
Native Resident
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby nytro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:28 pm

I am a member of an "General Association of Regular Baptists" church. We are an independent, autonomous regular Baptist church. We are a bible teaching and preaching church. We take God's word as literal. Having said this, there are still many in our membership that feel that "God is against nudity of any kind outside of marriage". As a result, I am cautious with who I tell about my nudist life. I will however never hide from it, and if someone from my church were to find this site, and see my posts, and "confront" me about me being a nudist, I would feel that it was time to help a weaker brother learn exactly what God says about nudity, and would point to Isaiah 20:2 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+20%3A2&version=ESV.
Rob
<n><
User avatar
nytro
Native Resident
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Broadview Heights, Ohio

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:08 pm

nytro wrote:...there are still many in our membership that feel that "God is against nudity of any kind outside of marriage"...

Funny, it is very unbiblical to base a doctrine upon how one feels about something.
Baptists are supposed to be biblical...
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Petros » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Ever measure the average distance bewteen "supposed to be" and "is"?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
User avatar
Petros
Native Resident
 
Posts: 5434
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Sorry, Nytro, I just can't help making the observation that you among the ungarbed in GARB. and do not wish to be "unGARBed" :P

You say
.....if someone from my church were to find this site, and see my posts, and "confront" me about me being a nudist.....
You will be lucky to have a Matthew 15:18 sort of brother. The problems come crashing in, when instead of approaching you "one on one," they immediately launch into a "talk about it with others" mode before they have the facts, and the thing gets out of control.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
User avatar
Bare_Truth
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: Ozark Plateau, Southwest Missouri

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby nakedpreacher » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm

the Pentecostal movement growing out of the holiness movement, many in My denomination are very stuck in late 19th early 20th century "morality". this means that drinking alchohol, tobacco use, and many other such issues are said to be sinful. (this is all background). When accepting the Pastorate at one of my churches, the retiring pastor lamented the fact that the church had so many smokers in it. I told him that, "I would rather have 100 smokers than 1 gossip." He never brought up the subject again.
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Lexington, South Carolina, USA

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby jochanaan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:the Pentecostal movement growing out of the holiness movement, many in My denomination are very stuck in late 19th early 20th century "morality". this means that drinking alchohol, tobacco use, and many other such issues are said to be sinful. (this is all background). When accepting the Pastorate at one of my churches, the retiring pastor lamented the fact that the church had so many smokers in it. I told him that, "I would rather have 100 smokers than 1 gossip." He never brought up the subject again.
Naked Preacher

:like:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Coastie » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 pm

I'm a Conservative Baptist.
Coastie
New Comer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:44 pm
Location: Portland / Vancouver Metro area

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby servant » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm

I am Catholic, raised in Catholic school (Sacred Heart), was away for years, which is when I discovered naturism, but now back to Church since I am married and have kids in Catholic schools too. I have no idea how my naturist/nudist feelings may be conjugated with my religious beliefs , so living in a dichotomy of sorts atm...

GBY
User avatar
servant
New Comer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:07 am
Location: Argentina

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby DaveT » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:57 pm

A lot of pagan traditions were introduced into Christianity over several hundred years after Christ's time. One at a time those traditions were recognized and corrected by reformers. Sometimes at the cost of their lives as traditionalists resisted reform with violence. But as a result many protestant churches arose with many varied doctrinal differences. The Seventh Day Adventist church was the final step in that reform movement as the last of the non Biblical doctrines were discarded. A group of people got together and intentionally laid aside all previous ideas and studied the good book with intensity, lining up everything it said about each topic and taking analysis of it all, along with much prayer for guidance. Consequently we have a set of doctrines that is as close to biblically accurate as anyone can get. While there is always new truth to find here and there. The innocence of naked life is one I have found. The basic elements of God's word as figured out by the founders of the SDA church make more sense in all ways than any other church in current history ever professed.

While in my family I'm 5th generation in the SDA church, I was raised to think independently, don't just believe something because someone tells me, ask why, and search it out to find out exactly why I believe what I do. And don't stop there but look at it from all possible angles. The whole needs to be taken into account. Not isolating one or a few passages and building a doctrine on them, ignoring the rest. And the truth has never been popular, never will be. The devil will make sure of that. But regardless of doctrinal understanding, entrance to heaven hinges on our character. A Christlike character will enter heaven, that's our goal in this life. Many who have accurate doctrine will loose heaven because they failed to become like Christ. Many who believed errors all their life will enter heaven because they learned to love others as Christ did. There is none other name under heaven whereby we are saved. :cross:
User avatar
DaveT
Native Resident
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: TN

PreviousNext

Return to Please Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests