Nude Swim at School and YMCA - Yesteryear

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Nude Swim at School and YMCA - Yesteryear

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

When I was in Public High School in Missouri (1960s) the swim classes were in the nude. Not co-ed.
Also the YMCA swim classes were in the nude. In fact general swimming at the Y was clothing optional.
This ended in the mid 1960s.
America was much more of a moral country then.
So I have to question is there a link in acceptance of nudity vs morality of a country.
If you look at America, then and now, it would appear that acceptance of nudity and the morality of a nation are opposites.
Or maybe I need to reword that to say casual social nudity and the morality of a nation are opposites.

Your thoughts
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Re: Nude Swim at School and YMCA - Yesteryear

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 pm

We didn't have an indoor pool or, for that matter, a YMCA close enough for this.

My father who was in college in the late 40s, however, had a similar experience.

Two years before I joined my college marching band, it was all men (there was a different marching group for the women). I heard from my band teacher in high school who graduated from this college that their pre-game antics led them to drop trousers as a joke.. Maybe even mooning the instructor... Nobody took offense.

Streaking? 2 of my High School teachers were "streaker hunters" when spring hit... It was better than the anti-vietnam riots the year before... Few were offended. A classmate streaked main street -- she got a reputation but wasn't arrested.

For some reason, people have gotten more sensitive towards nudity in general... I still tend to think it's because I tend to think my right to do whatever supersedes your right to do something else.

For instance, my right to not be offended precludes your right to walk around without clothes on. Where do you draw that line.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Losgatos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:48 pm

My nude swimming days date from the 50's and I think that your generalization is correct at least in the USA during the time period to which you refer.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Hebrews 4:13
Losgatos
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 am

It still seems funny to me.
Today is a less moral society.
But when you talk to non-nudists it is a moral issue.
So more morals says nudity ok.
Less morals says nudity is bad.
But nudity is a moral issue.

I am confused.
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 am

I`m thinking the continuous barrage of "sex sells everything" has turned nudity into something frowned upon by society. Morals in the US are at an all time low, thus the link between nudity and sex are strengthened.
Ez
ezduzit

Postby Larryk1052 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 am

When I was in high school the boys swam nude in gym class. We also were required to take nude showers following gym class. It was just normal to strip off sweaty gym clothes walk to the showers nude shower get dressed and go onto the next class.
I think over the years the culture has over reacted and reacted incorrectly to sexual perversion. Since nudity is mostly seen in sexual situations people have been conditioned to associate the two together to the point that nonsexual is not even considered possible.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:38 am

I hadn't even thought of showers in gym class.
I assumed still do that today.
Like said - go to class sweaty and stinky!?!?!?!?

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 pm

You got me.
That is what I get for making a message too short.
Let me restate - a little more verbose.
Yes we also took showers at end of gym class too.
The way things are today with the false modestyk do they shower after gym class today?
Or do they even have gym class today?

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Losgatos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Many of the adults at my health club do not shower or even enter the locker room. They must not be teaching that in school nowadays.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Hebrews 4:13
Losgatos
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't even want to get started - too many stories.

School in the 5os, aware of Y pool nudity - never experienced. Aware of shower and locker room, all yes, more than I am prepared to say.

Note that for teen and preteen in my experience this was occasion for nudge wink leering talk and behavior, NOT natural and accepted.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:35 am

I think nude swim lessons should have gone co-ed by this point, some 50 years after the boys nude swims described in the previous posts.

Around here, it was unheard of for schools to have a pool. I don't know of any to this day. After gym class some of the boys would take showers, should would not, but wearing street clothes to gym class was forbidden. You had to change, into school-approved gym shorts and tee shirts and sneakers, sweats if you were involved in outdoor training in winter.

My introduction to locker and shower nudity came from scouts and church camp.
At age 11, we played naked in the showers without a care in the world.
As early teens, we went through a self-conscious period.
By our late teens, nudity was no longer a problem. We regained our confidence.
Being naked with your friends from these groups was not the end of the world.
We got over it.
In my situation, it was not about sex, but lack of confidence in our bodies (temporarily).
On church trips to the beach, the girls would wear bikinis. That first day was a bit distracting, but we got used to their mostly bare bodies too. (their beauty still appreciated, but on a more manageable level).

So it seems to me that our kids would get used to nudity if we asked it of them starting early enough and continuing it faithfully on through to adulthood.
My experiences in nudist culture have only confirmed my hunch.

Far too many parents don't practice "tough love", saying that they would never ask their child to do something he or she is uncomfortable with. I thank God every day that my parents lovingly but firmly encouraged me to do a lot of things that I first said "No!" to.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 am

My experience parallels Petros' and Ramblinman's. My high school had no indoor pool and thus could not have us swim nude the few times we used the town pool, but we showered after gym, in a "gang" shower without individual stalls. And yes, there was lots of teasing and horseplay, some of it relating to our bodies, but (this was the mid '70s in rural Nebraska) we had never heard of pedophilia or molestation, and had only the vaguest idea what "homosexuality" was.

On the other hand, it was a big deal if you saw a woman in underwear on television! :shock: And once when my church youth group went on a ministry trip and stopped at a lake to swim, our leaders insisted that we swim in ALL our clothes. :roll:

In short: Same-sex nudity was no big deal at all; but mixed nudity was a big no-no.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 am

At my Public High School - the high school was co-ed but the gym and swim classes were not.
There was a door from one of the main halls directly to the pool. Some guy (I suspect) used a small pocket knife and bored a small hole in the door.
Occasionally you might see someone trying to see something through the hole, but it was too small.
And yes, both the boys and the girls had swim classes in the nude. Just not together.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Ron, physical education taught not just sports or strength training, but self-assurance and peace with one's own body. The next lesson would have naturally been acceptance and respect for the opposite sex. These classes were under strict supervision, what a perfect vehicle it would have been for teaching what we call naturist values!

I am afraid that our society tries so hard to avoid bringing boys and girls together in their natural state of nudity that it teaches a lot of unintended lessons. No need to carve peep holes in the wall, if you are swimming together every day! And the coaches would be on hand to punish or prevent any naughty behavior.

It is a wonder anyone these days becomes a nudist or naturist.
I think that one advantage for nudity is that it really is the natural human condition no matter how hard people try to say it isn't. And then there's the grace of God that has led so many of us to a better way.

Jochanaan, as awesome as our bikini-clad teens and college girls were back in the day, you can't remain awestruck forever. Even when we snuck off for skinny dipping. The shock wears off and it is just Sally, Ann, Mary, Ginger, Denise, the same old girls we grew up with and we know their brothers and parents. They are people a lot more like us than they are different. Our churches meant well, but we know a better way now.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:19 pm

jochanaan; " (this was the mid '70s in rural Nebraska) we had never heard of pedophilia or molestation, and had only the vaguest idea what "homosexuality" was."

Them was the days. POSSIBLY a little too little awareness. By me it is late 50s in Connecticut and Texas.

In CT - I was approached in the woods once, got out FAST - weird experience, I did not need a detailed blueprint. My sister had some kind of approach - details notr available to me.

In TX, a coach type insisted on pulling me out of class and showering with me. Had one known then what one later learned, he would have been deep in the heap.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism