Nude Swim at School and YMCA - Yesteryear

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Nude Swim at School and YMCA - Yesteryear

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am

By the way, there is a series of articles, including photos on the odd period in history when boys swam totally naked, while girls were covered head to toe, often in plain view of one another.
https://sites.google.com/site/historica ... mming/home

Prior to this, working class folk and rural folk of any age and sex swam naked in the summer with no hint of impropriety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... ial_nudity
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:40 pm

That history of male nude swimming site is a treasure trove of information. Hard to imagine less than 100 years ago skinny dipping was so common - and the pictures of children playing in city fountains! Amazing how times have changed.

And peasants and farm folk of generations past swam and bathed nude in the summer. It was not sexual, even when men and women shared the waters.

I've never bought this line that mixed nudity is not sexual. Men enjoy (sexually) looking at women. Women enjoy being looked at. And women enjoy (sexually) looking at men, and men like women admiring them. This is so in textile society: Women wear short skirts and show cleavage, men shave their chests, etc.

There is a socially accepted level of sexuality. We teach children acceptable behaviors, how to deal with the sexual stimulation. Men see women in bikinis and may enjoy (sexually) the view, but through repeated exposure and conditioning we learn to accept that bikinis are appropriate attire and what the appropriate reaction is. For whatever reasons, many societies have decided that full nudity crosses that line. In Europe, in many places, women baring their breasts is perfectly acceptable.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:24 am

Jasenj1 said: "I've never bought this line that mixed nudity is not sexual. Men enjoy (sexually) looking at women. Women enjoy being looked at. And women enjoy (sexually) looking at men, and men like women admiring them. This is so in textile society: Women wear short skirts and show cleavage, men shave their chests, etc."

Very true, Jasen. But to utter the statement it's about sexual attraction would feed into the textilist viewpoint nudism is all about sexual orgies and debauchery. Thus, it's necessary to describe nudism as non-sexual.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 am

Jasen,
I don't mean that physical attraction doesn't exist when men and women are nude in a social setting.
But, as you suggested, in general, the attraction of youthful nude beauty becomes manageable as we grow accustomed to it.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but in a previous post I mentioned a church youth group trip to the beach.
As a teenage boy, I was awestruck seeing so many lovely teenage girls in very brief bikinis.
But there was always a certain degree of awe when they were clothed head to toe. These were really cute girls!
I turned a few female heads myself, being fit and young at the time.
I am glad our church leaders didn't get preachy or judgmental about us being so nearly bare at the beach and pool.
After the initial "Wow!" We went about the business of swimming, volleyball, horseplay, and other beach sports.
We were friends, had grown up together, there was way more than a physical attraction going on.

For me, the sight of total nudity is easier to adjust to than bikinis, but I adjusted well enough to both, as do most folks when they give it a chance instead of endless speculation.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:56 am

jasenj1 wrote:That history of male nude swimming site is a treasure trove of information. Hard to imagine less than 100 years ago skinny dipping was so common - and the pictures of children playing in city fountains! Amazing how times have changed.

If you have ever read the novel "1984", it warned us of a society that thoroughly reinvented the past, so that even recent history was lost in a flood of propaganda.
This novel was fiction, but based on real tendencies in many societies.

The tales of male nudity a mere generation or two ago are not urban legend. But we need to do our part to help preserve the truth.
Many find it nearly impossible to believe when we try to share how life was for men.
And although women were raised with irrational shame over their own nudity, I was surprised to learn how many women saw male nudity as part of life.
They might have been charmed and even titillated by it a bit, but it was the world they lived in.

Again, I imagine an alternate path we could have taken where women could have taken their place among men in enjoying nude recreation.
Naturists took that path of course, but mainstream society went down a dark road since my grandfather's time.
Forcing everyone to cover up in a perverse blend of prudishness and prurient lewd fascination with the bodies God gave us.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:30 pm

For me, the sight of total nudity is easier to adjust to than bikinis, but I adjusted well enough to both, as do most folks when they give it a chance instead of endless speculation.

Absolutely. When we're all nude, parts is parts. I see yours, you see mine, and we move on.
But with swimsuits/clothing we've been conditioned that the more skin is shown the more sexually active/exciting/enticing a person is (women especially; I'm not sure the same rule applies for men, but anyway). When a woman is wearing a bikini, part of the male brain is always on the lookout for a glimpse of forbidden flesh.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Fraid it applies to men as well, but only because it's grown substantially with the growth of open homosexuality. Sin has caused all of our problems.

I wonder if a possible reason for naked reluctance in women has been the fact that men are the ones who force inappropriate sexual activity on women, for it to go the other way is exceedingly rare. Therefore the feeling of wanting to hide themselves from men.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:17 pm

DaveT wrote:Fraid it applies to men as well, but only because it's grown substantially with the growth of open homosexuality. Sin has caused all of our problems.

I wonder if a possible reason for naked reluctance in women has been the fact that men are the ones who force inappropriate sexual activity on women, for it to go the other way is exceedingly rare. Therefore the feeling of wanting to hide themselves from men.

I have seen large numbers of nearly naked women at textile beaches.
In this context: public beach with other women for support, many women are confident in their barely-there bikinis.

Yet, the beach fashion in recent years for men was to wear board shorts that reach the knees, even when they have no intention of surfing.
Who are the bashful ones now?

People often ask like sheep. Most will only bare as much as the alpha male or female in their flock.

I realize that far more cultural baggage is attached to female nipples and external genitalia of either sex. Baring those last few square inches of skin takes more confidence than baring the less "controversial" parts of the body. But even these barriers can be crossed in an environment where people (particularly women) feel safe.
In European beaches, tops are often set aside once the ladies reach the beach and bottoms frequently don't cover much at all.
It does require a society where women are respected.
If society at large cannot be trusted, naturist society must create the protective subculture.

I was totally comfortable nude in the gang showers at church camp or scouts.
These guys were longtime friends and like brothers to me. School, not as much.
Funny thing was: we did NOT swim nude, but always showered nude together afterward without a worry.

We boys had the pool to ourselves in scouts, so Logic would have said, "Why bother wearing suits in the pool if you are naked in the shower with the same people?"

I guess the notion of boys and girls swimming naked together was too much for our church leaders to embrace.
But I have seen that very thing at nudist camp and the world didn't come to an end. It was actually quite wholesome!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism