A language without numbers

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A language without numbers

Postby Maverick » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:21 pm

I can't post in the "Other Studies of Interest" section so I'll just drop this here.

In my localization/translation class today we discussed the Pirahã people, who have no words for numbers but just words for certain quantities (e.g. "a few" or "a lot"). I suppose in a culture that has no real need for mathematics, numbers really aren't necessary.

In the YouTube video we watched there are naked kids, male and female. I was first pleased that our professor had no qualms about showing the video because of this, and second because no one in the class (including some Muslims) overtly objected to it. It makes me wonder how old a child has to be before it's no longer okay to show nudity.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDM8G5tuHF8
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: A language without numbers

Postby Petros » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:41 pm

WEIRD coincidence. Not the no numerals - it is notorious that numbers in Bushman [spare you the footnote] languages fo 1 2 3 lots.

But only Monday I got a message from a friend of mine - mentioning, in a different context, the Piraha language! Great synchronicity.

As for the nudity - I think it is not only age. Same age children in New York there might be problems. We do not apply the same rules to "savages".
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 pm

We do not apply the same rules to "savages".

Good, but unfortunate, point Petros. And I'm glad to be numbered among some of those "savages."

Happy birthday, Maverick!
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 am

It's Maverick's birthday?? (or just was?) Happy birthday, Maverick!

Wow... a language and culture without numbers. Imagine applying that to our beloved CNV website. "You have posted... not enough... posts...... quite a bit of posts.... a whole mess of posts..."

And about the footage... I'm glad you heard no objections from your fellow students over the nude children. I'm sure it would be a different reaction though, if you tried it yourself the next time class meets...

Warren
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:21 am

Mavcerick, let me also extend what must surely by now be a belated happy burthday wish to you as well.

In the early 60s my family and I spent summer in Puerto Rico where it was common practice to see young boys only wearing t-shirts only. I believe the age limit was 5 years old.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:15 pm

naturaldon wrote:Happy birthday, Maverick!

nudie66 wrote:It's Maverick's birthday?? (or just was?) Happy birthday, Maverick!

JimShedd112 wrote:Mavcerick, let me also extend what must surely by now be a belated happy burthday wish to you as well.

Y'all are too kind, thank you! I'm 21 and now have more legal rights than I did two days ago! I told my mother, "The best thing about being 21 is not being able to legally drink, but being able to legally enter every sweepstakes or raffle that stipulates it." The second best thing will be my being able to carry concealed once I get my LTC. (And I don't plan on drinking anyway.)

nudie66 wrote:I'm sure it would be a different reaction though, if you tried it yourself the next time class meets...

At the risk of taking this strip more off-topic, have I posted this video here before?

French with English subtitles (make sure to turn them on): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23gmcy_point-de-fuite-vanishing-point-1987-eng-sub_shortfilms
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:30 am

Hey Maverick,
Where do you come up with these interesting videos? I'm old enough to have experienced viewing similar videos (like the FIRST one you posted here :lol: ) in classes in public school. No one thought anything about the incidental nudity. Of course, those were the days when we didn't hesitate to use the gang showers in PE (or even run around the locker room towel snapping and playing tag naked), skinny dip at the lake, or other such clean and wholesome activities.

We'll have to start a new strip somewhere about LTC, CCW, or whatever it is called in each state (Missouri calls it CCW), so I won't add anything to that here.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:06 pm

A small nagging question:

WHERE / HOW does the naturist who is packing CONCEAL?

LTC is fine for us,of course.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 am

naturaldon wrote:Hey Maverick,
Where do you come up with these interesting videos?

Most of them I just stumble upon from time to time. I remember Miriam posting a still from this film on Naturist-Christians way back when and I eventually found the full video.

Petros wrote:A small nagging question:

Well, the naked body doesn't really lend itself well to concealing anything, so I don't know. I've read that some special forces operatives are trained to carry small, tubular survival kits in the rectum (yes, sorry, I know that's a painful image). I suppose one could design some kind of firearm that could be "concealed" in the same way, although it wouldn't be the easiest to draw!
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:11 am

Smitty ducked into the WC. Some minutes later, after a loud running of water was heard, he came out, pointing his BM-42 at the ringleader's head.

"Drop your weapons, I have Ginski covered."

"Fool," snarled Ginski, "How can you be haffing me covered? I nude so like you!"

Smitty fell into convulsive laughter. The others, seizing their opportunity, sprang.

------------

I think this is a problematic technology.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 am

Texas is an open carry state so LTC is a license to carry open or concealed.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Well, since many naturist carry a towel (or other convenient cloth) and wear sandals (or flops), maybe one of us should invent a piece of cloth with a hidden pocket or naturist footwear with a weapon reminiscent of Agent 86's lethal shoes. But the cloth thing would not always be concealed upon us (or IN us, as Maverick so uncomfortably described). :dizzy:
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Our best choice of weapons is probably our bare hands. Karate, judo, kung-fu, anyone?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Or modify the flute to shoot poison darts.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:19 pm

naturaldon wrote:

Well, since many naturist carry a towel (or other convenient cloth) and wear sandals (or flops), maybe one of us should invent a piece of cloth with a hidden pocket or naturist footwear with a weapon reminiscent of Agent 86's lethal shoes. But the cloth thing would not always be concealed upon us (or IN us, as Maverick so uncomfortably described). :dizzy:

Yes, again, sorry! :bow:

jochanaan wrote:Our best choice of weapons is probably our bare hands. Karate, judo, kung-fu, anyone?

Krav Maga!

Or, we could always ask Don Knotts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo10xdN2Rds
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Next

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism