My Christian Journey

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

My Christian Journey

Postby Gary » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:40 am

So, here I am. My third intro.

I am a passionate and committed Christian.

I was brought up in a family of quite traditional baptists, going to a range of churches in my childhood that ranged from ‘reformed’ church to ‘evangelical’ anglican style to pseudo-charismatic baptist style. What unified my early Christian upbringing was the hymns and king james bible devotions and hymn singing at home led by my father, something I’ve come to love and carry with me into my adult life to the present day.

I was saved when I was 16, I’d say. The difference was wanting to go to church and learn about God instead of just being obligated to as a child under the rule of your parents. The difference was asking questions, and being curious and zealous about everything theological, instead of being asked them and reluctantly answering. It was a rich time of growth and although it can be hard to pinpoint a time in a Christian family upbringing like this, I’d say it was this difference that can define my conversion for me.

10 years on, I still consider myself a young Christian. I’ve experienced a lot, had a lot of euphoric experiences in Christ as well as a lot of darkness; experienced wonderful fellowship and blessing as well as other times of loneliness and even despair - with God bringing me back to the fold every time; but I do consider there a lot more out there for me to learn and grow in, and it’s something I mightily look forward to in the future.

I enjoy puritan books and Spurgeon sermons, just reading the bible, singing hymns, and growing in the things of the Lord - and the journey goes ever on :)…..until that endless day.

My single greatest spiritual strength - and weakness at the same time - is that the way my make-up is, what makes me tick as a person, is the emotions / the feelings - and not the will of the head. My passions and motivations (for anything), always run deep and operate on an emotional, fundamental ‘fibre of your being’ type level. This gives me deep genuineness in my Christianity in general - but it means I have issues with ‘consistency’ or ‘following through’ when the times come that the heart is not responding, and the head is called upon to forge on in pure discipline and will, despite the heart being cold that day. It’s a blessing for the times I am feeling for Christ, and yet a curse for the times I am not; it’s the single biggest issue in my Christian walk, and something I really need to continue working on. So the ‘fibre of my being’ is an imperfect human faculty, but it does give me great fellowship and communion when it’s firing on all cylinders, hence the positive things I mention two paragraphs ago. So ‘passionate’ indeed - and committed long-term - but not without issues - and it needs prayer :/.

It seems chalk and cheese, my 'reformed baptist’ Christianity, and my new naturist life - and this is why I have come to this site, to try to reckon what I see as genuinely practicable if people only take it at face value for a second (real, pure naturism), with the principles of Jesus Christ and the bible.

Thank you for reading my intros and, I hope, the future wisdom, discussion and even fellowship that will take place on this forum in future <3.

In God’s grace...
Gary
Gary
New Comer

Re: My Christian Journey

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:05 am

Gary, thank you for telling your story. I'm sure others will soon respond with their own comments. Again, it's great to have you join us here and to share your stories of how you arrived where you are now.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Losgatos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Thank you, Gary for being patient with us and sharing the information that you have. I would be described as reformed or Calvinist too and have an eight volume set of Spurgeon sermons that I enjoy reading. The thing to remember is that it is not what some person, denomination or theologian thinks but it is what the Lord says and that is found in the Bible! Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit as you read it. I too, much prefer the KJV. Reformed churches to which I have gone are using the ESV and it's probably a passable second choice.

You may be familiar with www.figleafforum.com and if not, you may want to have a look at it. There is a lot of reading there.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Hebrews 4:13
Losgatos
Native Resident

Postby pipermac » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:17 am

I grew up in Reformed and Orthodox Presbyterian churches, and yes, I am still reformed and a sorta-Presbyterian. I actually consider myself more "reformed", now that I live a lifestyle that I believe is more in keeping with the truth of Scripture. Being faithful to the truth of Scripture, not a particular system of doctrine, is what truly defines being "reformed". Somewhere along the way I left most of my dogma at the pound, because I have come to understand that there are few doctrinal hills worth dying on, and most aren't even worth fighting for. I pretty much cut my teeth on the New American Standard Bible. It lacks some of the elegance of the KJV, but it is what I carry for church. My study bible is a New KJV, New Geneva, which retains the elegance of the KJV without most of the archaic language. While I am interested in the study notes, I am also constantly on the lookout for where the commentators either have an axe to grind, or outright forgot to read the text before they wrote their commentary.

I will probably still have more questions about the Bible than I have found answers for when I get to heaven, because I certainly DON'T have all the answers. The first thousand or so years in heaven will hopefully be spent picking the brains of the Patriarchs and the Apostles. King David is at the top of my list, as is the Apostle Paul, followed by Peter, because they are the ones I most relate to.

I am naked and unashamed in Christ!

Steve :cross:
1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1, 1:14
pipermac
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:56 am

It's different emphases that make horse races. Me, the people I look up are likely to be the equivalent of the Desert Fathers Arsenius and John the Dwarf, plus Charles de Foucauld. But I would be as well checking out how certain extinct languages ACTUALLY worked.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Welcome to a community of the imperfect! :) Just remember, without darkness, we hardly know what light is. God is not absent in our darknesses. So "be of good cheer," for He is always there.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 am

jochanaan wrote:Welcome to a community of the imperfect! :)

How true. Of course, if we WERE "perfect", then we would have no need for Christ. We would not need salvation or we could save ourselves.

Someday (soon?) we WILL be "perfect", not because of what we have or can do, but because of what Christ has already done... AMEN.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Kiltedhiker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am

natman wrote:
Someday (soon?) we WILL be "perfect", not because of what we have or can do, but because of what Christ has already done... AMEN.

AMEN!!
Kiltedhiker
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey