My Faith

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

My Faith

Postby AuricQ » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 am

I was brought up in the Methodist tradition. Growing up, we were regular church-goers, so I sometimes find it difficult to describe the "Journey" aspect of my faith. It wasn't so much about being "saved" as such - although there was certainly a moment where I said, "Yeah, this is what I believe" rather than "This is what I have been taught." I have always had a mathematical kind of mind - the kind to question and seek proof. I guess the "Journey" for me has been mostly a deepening awareness, a desire to study and to know. I believe God honors an honest questioning of His Creation if one is simply open to accepting His answers - to honestly admit when we don't understand but continue seeking His Truth.
AQ
AuricQ
Resident

Re: My Faith

Postby natman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 am

AuricQ,

I think we are very much alike in this area (although I was raised Roman Catholic). I had rejected God and the whole "creation" concept while in high school and through my first two years of college. But during my second year of college biology, I realized the vast intricacies of even the simplest genome and determined that there was far too much evidence of purposeful information for simple evolution to have been the cause of life as we know it. It caused an awakening and a reexamination of the universe and all I thought I understood, and a reconnection with the God I now love with all my heart. However, my scientific, mathematical and logical mind never stopped asking questions and ultimately is one of the reasons I came to, co-founded and now host this site.

I too believe that God honors and even blesses honest questions because it is a sign that we are seeking to understand Him more.... and more.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 am

Welcome to the village, AQ. I hope you'll learn from and contribute much to this forum and others here.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby AuricQ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:45 am

Yep. Evolution can explain how one form can change via mutation and natural selection into another form, but it can't explain where the first form came from. The original religious furor was (at least partially) over the idea that the creatures we see today could be the result of mutation. Since "God saw that it (creation) was good" therefore mutation = corruption of what was "good" not a means to arrive at something else that is also "good" (i.e. better suited to the environment.)

One thing I've never seen "Creation via Evolution" proponents explain is how you get an endocrine system from mutation and natural selection. Since, in order to function and produce a competitive advantage that can be selected naturally, each hormone (randomly mutated) produced in an endocrine gland must have appropriate receptors elsewhere in the body (also randomly - and independently - mutated.) Whichever mutation - hormone or receptor - appears first would have to spread through succeeding generations while conferring no benefit until the other matching mutation randomly appears within the same sub-population.

An even better one is the case of the ribosome. The ribosome is the molecular machine that "reads" messenger-RNA and provides the structure on which transfer-RNA brings amino acids to be joined into a protein. However, the ribosome is itself a protein who's blueprint is coded in DNA and requires another ribosome to build it. So where did the first one come from? There is a specific transfer-RNA molecule for each amino acid. One end of the tRNA has a specific binding site for exactly one amino acid and the other end will only link up with the ribosome when it is actually bound to the amino acid and the ribosome is positioned at the matching 3-letter coded section of mRNA. So for each amino acid added to the construction, the whole mechanism only works when five mutually interlocking molecules come together just right - the ribosome, mRNA chain, tRNA, amino acid and the already constructed part of the protein. Not to mention the other molecules that assist in folding the constructed protein AFTER it's built so that it doesn't crash into the "construction zone" before it's done. And all of these molecules just HAPPENED to randomly generate themselves so that they interlock so perfectly? Kind of like saying that all the parts of a jet engine not only happened to exist spontaneously within exacting tolerances (and in large numbers) but also just happened to attract each other so that they fall into the right positions to self-replicate thousands upon thousands of working jet engines without any intelligent guidance whatsoever.
AQ
AuricQ
Resident

Postby Barefoot-Steel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:03 am

Back in school, what seems a geological age ago, I had a science teacher who tried to teach us evolution over creation and I think he sort of hated me ... he'd go through his big spill and then I'd ask, "so, where did the first one come from?" and he'd cringe every time. He'd tell me that I asked too many questions that shouldn't be asked.
"This is the day that the Lord hath made ... I will rejoice and be glad in it."
"How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace..." Romans 10:15
Sincerely, Jim (Barefoot-Steel) :-)
Barefoot-Steel
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:30 am

That, of course, is the joy of faceted / fragmented science. At a certain point, the scholar in American History can put the burden of explication on the European Historians, who can hand off to the archaeologists, who appeal to the paleontologists, who point to the chemists, who tell us to ask the physicists, who say, well, we can't see beyond the Big Bang.

This is of course a vile slander and a gross oversimplification, but effectively the savants short circuit the why daddy / chicken or egg / who's on first questions - helped by the principle that it is unprofessional / unscientific to ask a question for which we do not have an answer.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey