Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Maverick » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 pm

I asked Jesus to become my Lord and Savior when I was six or seven years old--I can't remember exactly. My brother and I both prayed the Sinner's Prayer together while sitting on the edge of his bed, my mother reading the words for us from an InTouch magazine (by Charles Stanley). Once I finished the prayer, I didn't feel much different but I was crying and I wasn't really sure why. I believe that at that moment, I became a follower of Jesus.

I was born and raised in the Baptist church and happily went to Sunday School every week. I was very knowledgeable about the Bible for my age and could easily memorize Scripture for candy and other treats. In sixth grade, I read through the entire Bible in a year for the first time, which I consider to be a turning point in my relationship with Christ. I realized that the Bible was more than just a book of amazing stories. It was a book of wisdom, understanding, and (perhaps most importantly) unconditional love.

The thing I've struggled with most as a Christian is lust. My father gave me "the talk" sometime in eighth grade, but by that point I'd already figured out how sex worked from my peers. I'd never seen a naked woman, and with hormones raging, I turned to the Internet and began a long, dark journey that lasted all through high school. I struggled a lot with lust, some porn, and sexual objectification of women. I knew what I was thinking and doing was wrong, and I would tell God I was sorry, that I wouldn't do it again, that I wanted to change...and then a few months later I was back where I started. The cycle continued.

Praise God that I'm not that young man anymore. I finally decided that enough was enough and that the only way to break my chains of bondage to sin was through complete commitment to Christ. I can't name a specific day or time when I decided to let Jesus take complete control and give me a much-needed u-turn, but I haven't turned back since, and I'm so much better off for it.

Every cloud has a silver lining, and mine was no different. As I surfed the web to satisfy my lust, I would occasionally see photos of people, naked, and smiling like nothing was out of the ordinary. This surprised me. There was no sex involved. They weren't even looking lustfully at each other. I found out that there are actually people who like to be naked, who live naked as a way of life. Naturists!

I determined that I liked being naked, but wasn't so sure that I could be a Christian and a naturist, especially with my previous lustful history behind me. I prayed and prayed about it, and looked to Scripture to read what God has to say about nudity. I read Christian commentaries, both for and against. I decided that the arguments for Christian naturism were much stronger than those against. I joined Naturist-Christians.org to learn more about being a naturist and hopefully meet some new friends (I have!), and now I'm here.

Not too many people know about my struggles with lust, mostly because I'm still a bit hesitant to talk about that period in my life, but I am thankful for all that because now I am who I am today. I no longer look at women as objects of desire, but as fearfully and wonderfully created by the Creator. I believe naturism is one of the ways God revealed that truth to me.

Needless to say, I've learned to search the Scriptures thoroughly for answers when I doubt something. I'm a much stronger Christian because of it. I want to learn more about God and His ways every day. As the title implies, my daily prayer is this: "God, help me be with You more than I can be on my own. Use me how You will today. Lead me along the path of righteousness for Your Name's sake."

I hope this makes sense and doesn't bore anybody. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. Just thought I'd share my faith story with y'all. :D
In nuditate veritas.
User avatar
Maverick
Native Resident
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby naturaldon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Maverick,
Love hearing this story. You're an inspiration to a lot of young men (more than you may know, and some I know you know!). You're not just a survivor, you're a conqueror in Christ. Glad to have a young brother like you. ἀνδρίζομαι

God bless,
Don
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
User avatar
naturaldon
Native Resident
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:03 am
Location: NW MO

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby jasenj1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 am

Thank you for the great testimony of Christ's power in your life.
jasenj1
Native Resident
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby natman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Maverick,

Your story is the same as many of us here. unfortunately, many parents are uncomfortable discussing simple body functions with their children and so tend to hide and avoid them.

For me, although my dad was raised along with seven brothers and sisters in a one-room house with NO privacy and a remote, two or three-hole outhouse, somewhere in his military career, he became somewhat of a prude, so I never got "the talk" from him. However, while he was in the military, often away from home for months and years at a time, my mother, who was raised in not so severe, but similar circumstances required me to help with the care of my younger siblings, including bathing and prepping for breastfeeding. She would fill a tub with water, strip down and climb in. Then I would undress my siblings and hand them to her one at a time for her to wash them and hand them back for me to dry off and dress for bed. At an early age, I knew that girls were different from boys and what breasts were ACTUALLY used for. So it was not really necessary for dad to give me "the talk".

I feel that I have been blessed not to have ever view women as "objects".

I raised my two children from my first marriage to have similar ideals and understandings about the human body and, as far as I know, neither of them have had any draw toward pornography.

However, after going through a divorce, I married a woman who had three children, two boys who were 10 and 13, and a girl who was 8 at the time. From the time we were married, my wife (their mom) and I slept nude and often walked around the house nude and had an "open door" policy. The 13 year-old had already gotten involved with friends who exposed him to pornography before I came into the picture and he still struggles with it today. The younger boy and girl have not had the attraction toward porn.

The bottom line for me is that if we train our children to see their bodies as being made in the "Image and Likeness of God" and "For His Glory and His Glory alone" and to respect the way they are made and how intricately they are made, then they will likely not be drawn to porn or immoral sex.

For those who are already in porn's clutches, I have a friend who has a website called www.mychainsaregone.org, which has many great tools for breaking the chains of porn addiction.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7300
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Maverick » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:17 pm

naturaldon wrote:Maverick,
Love hearing this story. You're an inspiration to a lot of young men (more than you may know, and some I know you know!). You're not just a survivor, you're a conqueror in Christ. Glad to have a young brother like you. ἀνδρίζομαι

God bless,
Don


Thanks Don. That means a lot. I still struggle from time to time with images from the past, but I simply ask Jesus to take those thoughts away and then redirect my attention to something else. Thankfully, this happens less and less.

jasenj1 wrote:Thank you for the great testimony of Christ's power in your life.


Thanks Jasen. Christ still works His power in my life, so the testimony isn't finished! "It goes on and on and on and on..." (Journey, anyone?)

natman wrote:Maverick,

Your story is the same as many of us here. unfortunately, many parents are uncomfortable discussing simple body functions with their children and so tend to hide and avoid them.

For me, although my dad was raised along with seven brothers and sisters in a one-room house with NO privacy and a remote, two or three-hole outhouse, somewhere in his military career, he became somewhat of a prude, so I never got "the talk" from him. However, while he was in the military, often away from home for months and years at a time, my mother, who was raised in not so severe, but similar circumstances required me to help with the care of my younger siblings, including bathing and prepping for breastfeeding. She would fill a tub with water, strip down and climb in. Then I would undress my siblings and hand them to her one at a time for her to wash them and hand them back for me to dry off and dress for bed. At an early age, I knew that girls were different from boys and what breasts were ACTUALLY used for. So it was not really necessary for dad to give me "the talk".

I feel that I have been blessed not to have ever view women as "objects".

I raised my two children from my first marriage to have similar ideals and understandings about the human body and, as far as I know, neither of them have had any draw toward pornography.

However, after going through a divorce, I married a woman who had three children, two boys who were 10 and 13, and a girl who was 8 at the time. From the time we were married, my wife (their mom) and I slept nude and often walked around the house nude and had an "open door" policy. The 13 year-old had already gotten involved with friends who exposed him to pornography before I came into the picture and he still struggles with it today. The younger boy and girl have not had the attraction toward porn.

The bottom line for me is that if we train our children to see their bodies as being made in the "Image and Likeness of God" and "For His Glory and His Glory alone" and to respect the way they are made and how intricately they are made, then they will likely not be drawn to porn or immoral sex.

For those who are already in porn's clutches, I have a friend who has a website called http://www.mychainsaregone.org, which has many great tools for breaking the chains of porn addiction.


Wow, thanks for sharing your story too, Nathan. I hope to marry a wonderful, God-fearing (naturist!) Christian woman who will help me raise my future kids exactly as you described. I wish I'd known about MyChainsAreGone.org long ago, because I feel that it would have saved me a lot of heartache. Thanks for linking that too, because I know a few people who could probably benefit from checking that out.
In nuditate veritas.
User avatar
Maverick
Native Resident
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby jochanaan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:42 am

Maverick wrote:...I wish I'd known about MyChainsAreGone.org long ago, because I feel that it would have saved me a lot of heartache....
I know what you mean. In my experience, though, God uses even heartache. Now you know what to avoid, more than someone who has never felt such temptation. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Petros » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 am

" God uses even heartache."

Amen - I will not now detail - but my story confirms.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
User avatar
Petros
Native Resident
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby christianhopeful » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Thank you for your testimony. Yes, it is similar to mines. Of course I can't say that my dealing with my weakness is the same as yours. I still struggle with lust and admit to still watching porn occasionally. But as compared to how I was years ago, with my Lord's help & guidance, I am much improved in that I hardly purchase them with as much frequency as I did when I had it worse than this. The only thing that matters to me now is totally devoting my body in service to God in any way, shape I can and to continually dedicate my body to him as his temple for his glory. He has also revealed to me that my wife will become a practicing nudist with me, so I am determined to stay within the prescience of God to see this promise materialise!! Please pray for me that God's promise will happen like he said it would and that I can stay the course of this Christian journey.
christianhopeful
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby naturist » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:24 am

mychainsaregone.org is a great website. I highly recommend it. And also read the book "Meeting at the River" by David Hatton, who also contributes to that website.
User avatar
naturist
Native Resident
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 am
Location: Washington

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Maverick » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:12 am

christianhopeful wrote:He has also revealed to me that my wife will become a practicing nudist with me, so I am determined to stay within the prescience of God to see this promise materialise!! Please pray for me that God's promise will happen like he said it would and that I can stay the course of this Christian journey.


I will definitely pray for you and your wife, Greville. I can still honestly say that I have no desire to view pornography anymore, but I do occasionally lust even when I know I shouldn't. I've found that starting each day off with prayer and Bible reading helps a lot because it sets my heart and mind on God and His will for my life. I seek Him instead of His creation. I also like to read from great Christian thinkers as I try to learn more about God and deepen my relationship with Him. C.S. Lewis and John Piper are two of my favorites right now. Ultimately, I take everything I read back to the Word and try to examine it objectively to determine if it is true. I've found that doing all of this is so much more fulfilling than lusting after girls ever will be. And when I do feel enticed to lust, I try to remember to pray and ask God to give me His eyes so I can see people how He sees them.

naturist wrote:And also read the book "Meeting at the River" by David Hatton, who also contributes to that website.


That looks like a really great book. Thanks for the recommendation! Here it is on Amazon for anyone interested: https://www.amazon.com/Meeting-River-Tale-Naked-Truth/dp/1490386653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477145438&sr=8-1&keywords=meeting+at+the+river
In nuditate veritas.
User avatar
Maverick
Native Resident
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:35 am

With respect to viewing porn and then rejecting it. Perhaps one of the most useful tools is to realize that Porn is not real! It is fantasy and fiction acted out by paid performers, or even in cartoons such as Hentai etc. Real people to not have "real relationships" like that except for acting out fantasies which have been invented for them by others or by self delusion. Such acted out fantasies are not any sort of the joining of two persons but at most the joining of a person to an object that they have made out of someone else or an object that someone else has made of themself, (e.g. as in the case of a person who makes themself a "sex worker"). Indeed, the men of some cultures have made women essentially into objects as slaves that they own in the same way as they own cattle and sheep and it is no wonder that such cultures have toleratee using real livestock for sexual objects.

The bond and commitment that God intended for such a "one flesh" relationship is debauched and sullied when reduced to simple animal lust for an "object". Understanding that there is so much more available when the fantasy of porn is rejected and a real bond is forged is a useful and beneficial concept.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
User avatar
Bare_Truth
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: Ozark Plateau, Southwest Missouri

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Maverick » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:With respect to viewing porn and then rejecting it. Perhaps one of the most useful tools is to realize that Porn is not real! It is fantasy and fiction acted out by paid performers, or even in cartoons such as Hentai etc.


Indeed! I don't think I completely realized this until I was free of its grasp but that thought process was forming all throughout my struggle.

Bare_Truth wrote:The bond and commitment that God intended for such a "one flesh" relationship is debauched and sullied when reduced to simple animal lust for an "object". Understanding that there is so much more available when the fantasy of porn is rejected and a real bond is forged is a useful and beneficial concept.


Amen to that.

On a related note, I read in a book recently that, while a man can't always control what he sees, porn is always a willing choice.
Example, and this happened to me recently: I'm surfing the web, reading a news site, when one of those "clickbait" ads pops up with a picture of a naked woman. Some of these ads will feature sensual photos of women in sexy poses or clothes to generate clicks but I'd never seen one with frontal nudity. While that may have been too much for some men who still live under the nudity=sex mentality, I actually thought it was an artistic photo. The woman was reclining against the back-end of an old VW Beetle, turned toward the photographer, and holding a camera in front of her face as if she were taking a picture right back. I digress; the main point is that I didn't choose to see this photo.
I think that's partly what Jesus meant when he said that it's not what goes into you that makes you impure; it's what comes out. (Matthew 15:10-18, Mark 7:14-23)

Yet:
James 1:13-15 wrote:"13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."
In nuditate veritas.
User avatar
Maverick
Native Resident
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby jochanaan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Maverick wrote:...On a related note, I read in a book recently that, while a man can't always control what he sees, porn is always a willing choice.
Example, and this happened to me recently: I'm surfing the web, reading a news site, when one of those "clickbait" ads pops up with a picture of a naked woman. Some of these ads will feature sensual photos of women in sexy poses or clothes to generate clicks but I'd never seen one with frontal nudity. While that may have been too much for some men who still live under the nudity=sex mentality, I actually thought it was an artistic photo. The woman was reclining against the back-end of an old VW Beetle, turned toward the photographer, and holding a camera in front of her face as if she were taking a picture right back....
That doesn't sound like pornography, my friend; your description sounds more like a kind of "anti-porn" in which the fantasy is turned right back on the viewer. :lol: What was the link about?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Maverick » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm

jochanaan wrote:
Maverick wrote:...On a related note, I read in a book recently that, while a man can't always control what he sees, porn is always a willing choice.
Example, and this happened to me recently: I'm surfing the web, reading a news site, when one of those "clickbait" ads pops up with a picture of a naked woman. Some of these ads will feature sensual photos of women in sexy poses or clothes to generate clicks but I'd never seen one with frontal nudity. While that may have been too much for some men who still live under the nudity=sex mentality, I actually thought it was an artistic photo. The woman was reclining against the back-end of an old VW Beetle, turned toward the photographer, and holding a camera in front of her face as if she were taking a picture right back....
That doesn't sound like pornography, my friend; your description sounds more like a kind of "anti-porn" in which the fantasy is turned right back on the viewer. :lol: What was the link about?


That's one way to look at it! I think it was something like "You'll Never Believe These Unseen Photos from Woodstock 1969!", though I'm certain that the pic of the woman against the VW was taken much more recently judging by the color quality. (It looked digital.)
In nuditate veritas.
User avatar
Maverick
Native Resident
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Help me be with You more than I can be on my own

Postby Charley » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:45 am

Maverick,

Thank you for your honesty in your testimony and for sharing your journey. It has definitely touched the lives of many as the conversation has continued for many months. God is using you and is going to use you to touch the lives of many as you continue moving forward with Him. I look forward to hearing about it as the story unfolds.

Blessings to you my Brother!

Charley
Charley
Resident
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Next

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest