Vitamin D Supplements Are NOT the Same as Sunlight

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby natman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:07 pm

Why Vitamin D Supplements Are NOT the Same as Sunlight
[LINK TO ARTICLE]

The assumption that vitamin D supplements will protect you against diseases associated with low vitamin D levels is incorrect, according to Australian researchers. The report found that vitamin D supplements are immunosuppressive and may actually make diseases worse.

Vitamin D Nuclear Receptor (VDR) influences the expression of over 1,000 genes, including those associated with diseases such as cancer and multiple sclerosis. According to the new study, supplemental vitamin D actually blocks VDR activation, which is the opposite effect to that of sunshine.

Instead of positively impacting gene expression, vitamin D supplements appear to suppress your immune system.

Vitamin D deficiency, the researchers pointed out, is likely not a cause of disease but rather is a result of the disease process. And increasing vitamin D intake may make the diseases worse.

The body regulates production of all the vitamin D it needs, the researchers said, and dysregulation of vitamin D by supplementation has been associated with many chronic diseases.

Sources:
Science Daily January 27, 2008
BioEssays January 2008, Volume 30, Issue 2, Pages 173-182

Dr. Mercola's Comments:
As with most nutrients and compounds, it is always best to get them from their natural sources, and vitamin D is no exception. In fact, according to these new results, it may be one of the most potent examples of what can go wrong if you veer too far from nature.

I have always found it peculiar that the only vitamin that is not in breast milk is vitamin D. To me that is a giant clue that we were NOT designed to swallow vitamin D. Newborn infants, just like you, were designed to get this from exposing their skin to natural sunlight.

Folks, without question, the best way to get the right amount of vitamin D is to spend some time in the sun.

You always want to avoid getting burned, but generally speaking you can safely spend anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours in the sun every day with beneficial effects. If you have dark-colored skin or live far from the equator, you will need to spend more time in the sun than someone who is light-skinned living close to the equator.

Of course, it’s the middle of February, and for people living in many areas this means it’s cold and dreary. In other words, sun exposure simply isn’t an option.

But you do have options to get the vitamin D your body needs: safe tanning beds that have harmful emissions shielded and high-quality vitamin D supplements.

All Vitamin D Supplements are Not the Same

I’m not certain what type of vitamin D was studied in the report above, however the abstract mentions the vitamin D that’s added to milk and cereals. Well, the vitamin D that’s added to milk is synthetic vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and is not something that you should be taking anyway.

Only vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), the type of vitamin D found naturally in foods like eggs, organ meats, animal fat, cod liver oil, and fish, is appropriate for supplementation. Do NOT use the highly inferior vitamin D2.

There have been no clinical trials to date demonstrating conclusively that D2 prevents fractures, yet every clinical trial of D3 has shown it does. Further, vitamin D2 has a shorter shelf life, and its metabolites bind with protein poorly, making it less effective.

Studies have even concluded that vitamin D2 should no longer be regarded as a nutrient appropriate for supplementation or fortification of foods (though it continues to be used).

So if you choose to use vitamin D supplements make sure it is in the form of vitamin D3. And remember that if you are relying on your “fortified” milk to supply you with vitamin D, it is NOT giving you the healthy type of vitamin D that has been associated with all the benefits that you read about on this site and in the media.

If you do choose to supplement with oral vitamin D you will need to carefully monitor your levels to avoid overdosing. The only time you don’t need to worry about whether or not you’re getting too much, or too little, vitamin D is when your body makes it naturally from the sun.

There is still massive confusion out there, even among health care professionals, about what’s healthy and what’s not when it comes to sunlight and vitamin D.

My new book, Dark Deception, is coming out in the spring and it will help to clear up the confusion once and for all.

In the meantime, you can find out the vital details you need to know to keep your vitamin D levels where they need to be throughout the year in my new Sunshine Special Report. I decided to make this report available to you now so you don't have to be at the mercy of my publisher and wait until later this year.

I am confident the information in this report can have a profound impact on your health and that of your family.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Very interesting. Out of curiosity, Natman, how much do you know about this Dr. Mercola and his alternative approach to wellness? Have his methods and studies ever been discredited? :?:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby dby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 pm

jochanaan wrote:Very interesting. Out of curiosity, Natman, how much do you know about this Dr. Mercola and his alternative approach to wellness? Have his methods and studies ever been discredited? :?:

Dr Mercola published one of the largest medical newsletters (which I often read). So he has a fairly large following of people who respect him. But he is controversial - even with the Alternative crowd. For example, soy is often towned as being a wonder cure with the alternative medical crowd - but Dr Mercola points out the dangers of non-fermented soy products.
dby
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 am

Well, it sounds to me like he is not all that interested in catering to the crowd, or going along blindly with long held assumptions. Much of the medical sciences today is strongly influenced by big pharmaceutical companies interested in making a pile of money pushing pills. As a result, many common and natural cures, and the like are overlooked--afterall, they can make a pile of money with vitamin D supplements, but they can NOT bottle up the sunshine and sell it to us. :lol:

Many ailments, and maladies over the centuries have been found to be the result of deficiencies in nutrition, or can be easily corrected with vitamins,and nutritional supplements--scurvy, and jaundice come to mind immediately to me.

Unless we can find something telling me he is strongly influenced by some other motive, or money, it sounds like he is a maverick looking for the real truth.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby natman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 am

He is just one of several doctors that are serious about holistic health. My wife's ex-in-laws are long-time practitioners of holistic health. At 82, her ex-father-in-law has never even been to a doctor until last week. He had a "minor" heart attack the week before and subsequent light stroke, but the doctor said he is the healthiest 82 year-old person he had EVER seen.

At 80, her ex-mother-in-law has never been to a doctor either and is still going strong. What they have learned through the years echos what Dr. Mercola and others are saying to a tee, and, for the most part, it all appears to be true.

Mercola appears to be a humble man of humble means. He does sell several products on his site but admits that most neutritional supplements are best when taken in their natural state, such as in fresh organic fruits and vegetables, so I'm not upset that he periodically give a plug for a product.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:49 pm

That's good to hear. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the quacks from the real healers.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby daveofnrr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Just visited www.mercola.com and watched a hilarious video parodie about pharmuecutical companies and our current health care situation. My wife found it too accurate to be funny. It is a must see for everybody.
Dr. Mercola's information is very similar to other holistic doctors. Alternative medicines [nutrition] are growing in popularity despite the efforts of the pharmuecutical lobbyists in Washington D.C.
Liquid is the best form to take any supplements and many manufacturers are now realizing this. We discovered [we felt it was an answer to prayer] a great product after my wife suffered a very serious head injury several years ago. She never could recover from her concussion symptoms and developed severe depression to the point she was having suicidal thoughts. For three years she suffered as the medical doctors and their drugs were of little if any help. Praise God for leading us to a product that changed our lives in just six weeks.
God created bodies that can heal themselves if given the proper nutrients!!!

Giving HIM thanks, Dave.
It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
daveofnrr
Permanent Resident

Postby jjsledge » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:09 am

Dave

My daughter has brain damage caused by a speeding dump truck totaling her car. The accident was just over 2 years ago. What is the product? Where can I find it? How much does it cost?

Jerry
jjsledge
Native Resident

Re: Vitamin D Supplements Are NOT the Same as Sunlight

Postby natman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 am

daveofnrr wrote:God created bodies that can heal themselves if given the proper nutrients!!!

Indeed. As the Psalmist wrote, we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Do you have a direct link to the video you mentioned?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Vitamin D Supplements Are Not the Same as Sunlight

Postby daveofnrr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:49 am

Being a newbie to computers, I'm unfamiliar with direct links so just gave his web site. You cant miss it.

Jerry, I left a personal message.
It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
daveofnrr
Permanent Resident

Postby natman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:50 pm

I found the video and the link...
http://www.mercola.com/townofallopath/index.htm

The Town of Allopath

[Click the image or click here]
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Vitamin D Supplements Are NOT the Same as Sunlight

Postby MoNatureMan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:46 am

I have a friend that has had cancer multiple times. Each time she goes through chemo and they give her massive amounts of vit-d, and of course order her to stay out of sunlight.
However she has been tested for vit-d levels and found that a little sunshine gives her a higher vit-d level than all the massive amounts of pills. They finally agreed for her to get some sunshine but limit to 10 min a day.

Makes sense to me. Stay out of the sun, or use sunscreen so you don't get vit-d. Then take pills that don't work, so you can be sick, and they can all make money.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues