Tanning in the Winter Sun

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Tanning in the Winter Sun

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Well if you separate the seasons with the equinoxes and solstices, then we still have about a month of Winter to go. But here in Missouri the weather has done a flip-flop, being subzero about a 2 weeks ago and now it hit 80 in the sun today and has been similarly warm and sunny the last 5 days. With weather like that I was out enjoying my woodland trails au naturale. I even saw a spider scurry out of my way into the leaves. (I sure hope the ticks will hold off a while though).

It was so beautiful out there that starting last sunday I was out enjoying the sun and the trails when I realized that I had been out there for about an hour. My tan from last year had faded and I was getting sun not only directly from the clear sky but also reflected off the snow which still covered the ground, (see my gallery). Oh No! I was starting on my tan with a one hour exposure in full sun! I was wondering if I was going to burn. But no burn and not even a significant pinking of the skin. Apparently the long angle of the winter sun made the exposure rather mild. I have been out for around an hour +/- for 4 of the last 5 days, and still no burn. (I was getting a root canal that other day or it would have been 5 of 5).

It seems to me if we went naked outdoors as often as possible in our home latitude we would perhaps not burn, but gently tan as the winter wears off into spring. The industrial western lifestyle of being cooped up and covered most of the time seems like it might be the culprit in sun burns since it keeps us out of the sun until we get some vacation time and then we get our pale bodies fried by a sudden exposure to a sun that has gotten fairly intense while we have been hiding.

Of course I have not been an active naturist all that long so if some of you have different experience to offer please advise.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Tanning in the Winter Sun

Postby natman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Well, some of the worst sun burns I have ever gotten have been during the winter on the ski slopes, warm enough to ski in shorts and a t-shirt or no shirt at all. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm

natman wrote:Well, some of the worst sun burns ... winter on the ski slopes, ... :(

Yes, that is what concerned me the first day when there was all the snow shown in my gallery pictures, I was concerned that I was going to get a double whammy, But I was able to keep getting sun fairly late last year so between that and the long angle of the sun I seemed to have escaped a burn. I have to say seemed to because my wife pointed out to me that on the balding area on top of my head, I have started to pink up, but I don't think it yet counts as a burn, but I will probably wear a hat next time.

As to your skiing sun burn, how long had you been without significant sun exposure and how long were you out in it. If I have no existing tan, I usually have to start out at 5 minutes on a side and work my way up over about 2 or 3 weeks. That is why I was concerned about a burn the first day with an hour exposure. So far I have gotten about 4 hours in 5 days, and all I have is a little pinking on top.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:35 am

Bare_Truth wrote:...As to your skiing sun burn, how long had you been without significant sun exposure and how long were you out in it...

No, the first concern is altitude! Even at 6000 feet there's 11% less atmosphere between us and the sun than at sea level, and at 9000 feet or so, the altitude of most Colorado ski slopes, it's more like 25% less--easily enough to allow for burns even for those folks who may be tanned for lower elevations. :oops:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Nudism and Health Issues