Top 7 Health Benefits of Being Naked

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Top 7 Health Benefits of Being Naked

Postby natman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Top 7 health benefits of being naked
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life ... 013780.cms
Renita Tisha Pinto, Health Me Up | Oct 25, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

The moment you enter home your fist thought is to get rid of your clothes and head to the shower.
The thought of being naked with no layers of clothing on, relieves you, especially in the summer.
Guess what? Stripping down to your birthday suit is actually helpful and full of health benefits. If being naked is a problem, then hop into minimalistic or loose clothing. Here's why!

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 1: Loads you up with vitamin D

We always slather ourselves with sunscreen, fearing damage the sun will do to our skin. Sun can cause damage only if you stay under it for a long time, says Dr Satish Bhatia, Dermatologist, Mumbai. Soak yourself in the early morning rays for about 10-15 minutes. This session will help in boosting the production of vitamin D and will also help boost your mood.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 2: Gives a healthy skin

Our skin needs air to breathe. Covering yourself in tight clothing can weaken your skin, because your skin reabsorbs the toxins, which come out when you sweat, says Dr Satish. Being naked will help your skin to respire, by eliminating the toxins from your body.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 3: No 'Red' marks

Being free from your clothing will help you prevent those red pressure marks left by your too tight bra or panty elastic band. Also, shedding your clothes for a while will help improve blood circulation throughout the body.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 4: Healthy brain

According to a study - barefoot running helps to lower the risk of Alzheimer's in adults. Barefoot walking or running helps in vital stimulation of our brain. Dr Sunesara, General Physician, Mumbai says, the stimulation, which is created in the sole of the foot encourages our brain to boost more neuron connections. Besides, it also helps to increase brain flexibility.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 5: Relaxes you

Nakedness is a sort of therapeutic massage for depression, low-self esteem and other mental problems. Lying naked helps to improve your blood flow, detoxifies your system, and thus provides you warmth and freedom.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 6: Lowers risk of infection

When clothes are soaked with sweat, they can be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause various infections. Nudity lowers your risk to these harmful fungi and bacteria and maintains personal hygiene.

Health Benefit of Being Naked # 7: Improves fertility

Wearing tight elastic underwear can restrict the blood flow to the penis and genital area. Tight underwear or low waist jeans directly press onto your penis, which further slowly kills nerve receptors in the surrounding area and lowers sperm count.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Top 7 Health Benefits of Being Naked

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I noticed that this post came from India, much of which is at low latitude.
Your latitude and the time of year will determine whether morning or midday is the best time for making vitamin D when the UV B rays are available to trigger the production of this hormone by our bodies.
Quoting Dr. Mercola:
"The first step is to determine the latitude and longitude of your location. You can easily do this on Google Earth, or if you are in the U.S. you can use the TravelMath Latitude Longitude Calculator to find your latitude and longitude
i
. Once you have obtained that you can go to the U.S. Navy site to calculate a table to determine the times and days of the year that the sun is above 50 degrees from the horizon..."
For instance at the latitude of Chicago, there is no UVB to be had between September 16th and March 25th.
In Central Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Apollo Beach) you can make vitamin D as early as February and as late as October 23rd.

The URL for the US Naval Observatory Azimuth table is:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 pm

With regard to #7, it is not just consriction . I was once told by a holistic medico that shading the skin affects hormone balances - if I remember right reducing both fertility and libido.
\
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Petros wrote:With regard to #7, it is not just consriction . I was once told by a holistic medico that shading the skin affects hormone balances - if I remember right reducing both fertility and libido.
\

I would like to see things like this quantified:
What degree of opacity is detrimental? Heavy demin? Nearly transparent silk?

How many minutes of sun is needed on your skin?
I guess you need a light meter or at least a rough estimate of footcandles for your latitude and time of year.

I wonder if there is some confusion about the pineal gland, which in humans receives input from the eye in regulating sleep/wake cycles by secreting melatonin in the absence of light.
A lot of people confuse melatonin with melanin. Not the same!

I am not aware of any link between photons striking the dermis and the pineal gland or sex hormones for that matter.

The hormone we call vitamin D is produced as an effect of UVB on the skin and Vitamin D affects the immune system.

I do know that high levels of melatonin in children may delay the onset of puberty. As we mature, those levels drop.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
Petros wrote:With regard to #7, it is not just consriction . I was once told by a holistic medico that shading the skin affects hormone balances - if I remember right reducing both fertility and libido.
\

I would like to see things like this quantified:
What degree of opacity is detrimental? Heavy demin? Nearly transparent silk?

I would think that ANY fabric would diminish the amount of sunlight that strikes the skin. Even clear plastic or glass will filter out certain wavelengths of light.

Ramblinman wrote:How many minutes of sun is needed on your skin?
I guess you need a light meter or at least a rough estimate of footcandles for your latitude and time of year.

There are so many factors that would affect the precise number of minutes, including latitude, altitude, smog or ozone levels, air vapor content, skin tone, diet etc. I would think that the only way to know if you are getting enough is to have regular blood serum tests done. What I know for sure is that the average person does not get anywhere near enough sun on their bodies and that one way of knowing that we've gotten too much sun is when we have a sun burn sufficient enough to peel, meaning that we have destroyed the outer layers of skin.

Ramblinman wrote:I am not aware of any link between photons striking the dermis and the pineal gland or sex hormones for that matter.

There may not be a DIRECT link, but rather a link associated with either Vitamin D or Vitamin E levels in the body as a result of increased light exposure.

Ramblinman wrote:The hormone we call vitamin D is produced as an effect of UVB on the skin and Vitamin D affects the immune system.

It affects far more than the immune system. Vitamin D is necessary for the proper processing of a host of mineral, particularly calcium, as well as in the strengthening and development of the nervous system.

Ramblinman wrote:I do know that high levels of melatonin in children may delay the onset of puberty. As we mature, those levels drop.

I think you are confusing melatonin (the hormone that makes us sleepy, as I recall, produced in the pituitary gland and diminishing with age) with melanin (the hormone that causes our skin to darken and aids in production of Vitamin D). However, I have read that the beneficial affects of sun-generated Vitamin-D diminish with age.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:37 pm

natman wrote:I would think that ANY fabric would diminish the amount of sunlight that strikes the skin. Even clear plastic or glass will filter out certain wavelengths of light.

Yes, UVB doesn't pass through glass at all. But let's say you are in the tropics and of fair complexion, maybe you want some slight diminution of light, either from a gossamer fabric or vegetation overhead, maybe a trellis planted with vines.

One other way: most of my ancestors come from 47 degrees north latitude in central Europe. If I seek shade when the sun is higher than it would be in the land of my ancestry, In theory I remain within the limits of what my body can bear. People with ancestors from the cloudy coastline, say 50 or 52 degrees north traditionally got less sun in summer than people living inland, in sunnier climates at the same latitude.

Rickets or cancer let us know that we didn't get enough sun. Tough way to find out! An autumn blood test might let us know with precision long before trouble begins.

natman wrote:I think you are confusing melatonin (the hormone that makes us sleepy, as I recall, produced in the pituitary gland and diminishing with age) with melanin (the hormone that causes our skin to darken and aids in production of Vitamin D). However, I have read that the beneficial affects of sun-generated Vitamin-D diminish with age.

Nathan, do a quick lookup on the pineal gland and you'll see that it secretes melatonin.

Melanin actually reduces the production of vitamin D precursor, but it serves to balance our exposure with our needs, "nature's brakes". It serves to protect the cell nucleus damage from UV radiation.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
natman wrote:I think you are confusing melatonin (the hormone that makes us sleepy, as I recall, produced in the pituitary gland and diminishing with age) with melanin (the hormone that causes our skin to darken and aids in production of Vitamin D). However, I have read that the beneficial affects of sun-generated Vitamin-D diminish with age.

Nathan, do a quick lookup on the pineal gland and you'll see that it secretes melatonin.

Melanin actually reduces the production of vitamin D precursor, but it serves to balance our exposure with our needs, "nature's brakes". It serves to protect the cell nucleus damage from UV radiation.

Exactly. That is why I was wondering why you were mentioning melatonin.

I also agree that melanin is the agent in our skin that darkens and actually limits that amount of Vitamin-D our bodies produce. That is another example that we are fearfully and wonderfully made by God and that natural sunlight is the BEST way for us get the right amounts of Vitamin-D. Taken orally, we can usually not consume enough through diet alone nor supplements as our digestive system destroys Vitamin-D before most of it can be absorbed. But our skin produces ample amounts and is self-regulated if we have the proper amounts of melanin, which, apart for albinos, builds up the more we are exposed to sunlight.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Albinos - interesting question. Anybody looked into incidence of albinism?

Most of the albino humans [cats and white rats are anotherquestion] that I have seen depicted were tropical from high melanin gene pools. That could be just those are the ones most stand out for the photographer.

If nobody has it on the tip of the tongue or looksit up I will likely sometime.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am

I could not resist - my most powerful addiction.

Claim:

"Prevalence of the different forms of albinism varies considerably by population, and is highest overall in people of sub-Saharan African descent."

"Why" is up for grabs. I tend not to go there.
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues