Barefooting: De Agony of De-Feet

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Barefooting: De Agony of De-Feet

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

When engaging in an activity, I like to throw myself into it fully, But with Naturism, I experience one particular impediment. It seems that I have always suffered from one particular problem. I was born with very sensitive tender feet. That has proven to be a problem with being barefoot.

As a child I observed that to walk on law grass the points of the grass blades were painful. To attempt to walk across gravel or asphalt pavement exposed to the sun was excruciating beyond considering. To step upon a single stone or perhaps a stick or any other hard object was awful. I always left my clothes close to the shore when going swimming. Even if pavement was available I had to walk carefully (no running) because I would otherwise bruise my feet. The thought of walking on hard pavement and stepping on a pebble, makes my blood run cold to this day--- almost! (Let's not even think of a piece of gravel shoving up between my toes :?: :shock: )

I say almost because as I approach 70 orbits of the sun, I have developed a degree of neuropathy in my feet. The biggest downside of that is my sense of balance is slightly impaired becasue I do not get as much feedback from my foot sensations to warn me of imbalance (no roadside sobriety tests for me please). However there is an upside, it now seems that with reduced sensitivity, I can walk barefoot outdoors without guaranteed pain/discomfort. Well, at least if I choose my surfaces and walk with a modicum of care. Plausibly I am now able to think about think about the plausibility of working on toughening my feet so I can walk barefoot more readily.

So I would encourage those of you whose feet are of a more leather like nature or who are working toward that to share your experiences.

E.G.:
Once when a small child, I was walking on the concrete sidewalk to the beach a few blocks away. Somehow my pinkey toe curled under and was abraded so badly that I lost the toe nail and turned the toe into a bloody ragged mess. That 65 year old memory still gives me chills !
OR.
I still remember going to a local lake where my friend's mother parked the car on one side of the highway and we had to cross the sun heated asphalt followed by a gravel parking lot and then walkon a wooden planked pedestrian bridge to the island and there were pebbles strewn on some of the planking that would hurt terribly if stepped on. My friend could easily walk and run on such surfaces.
AND
As an intermediate step, once took up naturism, I decided to try wearing sandals and caught poison ivy of the toes from a few scattered sprigs on my woodland path.

All entertaining anecdotes as well as suggested cautions or advice for my foot toughening regimen gratefully considered:

Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Barefooting: De Agony of De-Feet

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Some feet are simply more sensitive than others. My own feet are very tough, and in the last year or so I have decided to increase my barefoot time even more. City sidewalks are excellent for toughening up feet, and mine are almost tough enough that I can actually enjoy walking on concrete. The last time I was at http://www.olt.org , in mid-March of this year, I went barefoot much of the time I was there. 8)

My first reaction was to say that, if your feet are less sensitive due to neuropathy--my lady suffered from it, and it can be really horrible!--it is not the best time to start barefooting! :shock: But if you are very determined, the thing to do is to start easy and work up. Indoors, of course, if you're not doing so already. Then level, firm, friendly surfaces such as smooth wood, flagstone or brick, graduating to concrete only after some preparation. When you can comfortably walk on outdoor concrete or asphalt, you may consider your feet as having "arrived." 8)

For more information and stories, there is the Society for Barefoot Living (http://www.barefooters.org/ ). They also have a Facebook group, of which I'm a member.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Ah, little brother - I have a couple more cycles than you - I know your feet well. I missed out on your abraded toe - but maybe you did not have the toe slammed in the car door with subsequent loss of nail and the joys of the sticky nailbed till it grew back - never quite right.

I too have of late developed pedal insensitivities [or different sensitivities]. Alas, my soles are as tender as ever - I cannot feel my toes right, although the toe TIPS are sensitive enough to make getting up off the floor [which I had to do a couple times today repairing a landing in the kitchen] an agony.

At the beach I was usually all right IN the water [though some bottoms I would really have appreciated wet shoes]. But the trip over hot and randomly pebbled sand [with occasional sharp shells] from the family blanket spread in the shade to the water's edge - ach!

BUT - these days, with my less consistent foot enervation, I can [in socks] walk over lawn grass to the compost repository at almost normal walking speed.

It seems that this is one sensory feature we share; I would love to walk a few yards in your feet to see if your septagenarian feet feel at all close to mine.

jochanaan - sidewalks are'nt BAD, but they get HOT, which does not encourage my feet.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

Hyper responsiveness of sensory nerves associated with aspiness may be a significant factor. :wink:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:01 am

Desert Hiker? -- Our own "Mayor," Desert Hiker, is one of those serious barefooters who never wears shoes unless he's absolutely forced to...
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:37 am

There are only two places where I'm barefoot--in the pool and in my RV. I won't walk on the gravel in bare feet. My feet are very tender, and I refuse to cause myself pain while trying to toughen up my feet; I don't like pain and suffer enough of it as it is. :dislike: .
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:35 am

What I fear is stepping on a pebble with my heal, already sensitive due to heal pain, which is a falling arch problem.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:18 am

jochanaan wrote:Desert Hiker? -- Our own "Mayor," Desert Hiker, is one of those serious barefooters who never wears shoes unless he's absolutely forced to...

Sam (Desert Hiker) hasn't been around for a LOOOOONNNNGGG time. :(

Since his wife passed away and he and his daughters have moved into a nudist resort full-time, he no longer has a need to fellowship with us "less-fortunate" home naturists. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 pm

natman wrote:Sam (Desert Hiker) hasn't been around for a LOOOOONNNNGGG time. :(
agree with your emoticon!

natman wrote:he and his daughters have moved into a nudist resort full-time, he no longer has a need to fellowship with us "less-fortunate" home naturists. :(
I agree with your emoticon again!

So how about we send him a friendship e-mail :areyouthere?: and invite him back and tell him we miss him and want to hear all about his adventures and how things are going with him. It could not hurt to get a revisit from a mayor emeritus could it?

Hey maybe we could get all three of them back! (ok I only guessed there are two daughters maybe there are 5 of them and we could get 6 more members on the site)
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am

s like a good idea Bare_Truth. Do you have any idea what his email address is? I do believe he's in the same resort as Jon_Marc, am I correct?

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I have his email address, and I suppose Natman does too. Yeah, I miss his wisdom too. :(
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:34 am

Bare_Truth wrote:So how about we send him a friendship e-mail :areyouthere?: and invite him back and tell him we miss him and want to hear all about his adventures and how things are going with him. It could not hurt to get a revisit from a mayor emeritus could it?

I'm not sure that the email address I have is accurate anymore. However, I know that he is quite active on Facebook.

As I do not prefer to post someone's email address or Facebook account in the forums, just know that you will probably find a link if you do a search for "Dessert Hiker".

Perhaps if we all message him, he'll come back.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby prairieboy » Fri May 01, 2015 12:36 am

My feet used to be quite sensitive, and I seldom went barefoot. When I shed my clothes it seemed the most natural thing to go barefoot, and it seemed much less painful. I am still careful where I step, but I can tolerate much more than I used to, although walking any distance on snow or ice brings discomfort. I can only do that if the sand in between is warm enough to warm my feet fairly quickly. The last couple of years we were at the beach with very pleasant temperatures, but there were still remnants of snowdrifts that had to be crossed.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 pm

prairieboy wrote:The last couple of years we were at the beach with very pleasant temperatures, but there were still remnants of snowdrifts that had to be crossed.

A beach with SNOW???

'Doesn't sound like a beach I would want to frequent. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

natman wrote:
prairieboy wrote:The last couple of years we were at the beach with very pleasant temperatures, but there were still remnants of snowdrifts that had to be crossed.

A beach with SNOW???

'Doesn't sound like a beach I would want to frequent. :(

Well after all, prairieboy is from Manitoba...... :D

I lived a hundred or so miles south of the border and have seen more than a foot of snow along the river banks around Fargo North Dakota in June where it had drifted much deeper during the winter in the brushy areas around the river banks. and have seen it almost that late in the shelter belts.

In 1997 In Grand Forks (the year of the 500 yr flood), in mid May it snowed an inch or so on all the flood damaged stuff we took out of the basement. Between the soggy mud in spring, the mosquitos on summer evenings and the cold in winter, as they say in those regions, ..... "It keeps the riff-raff out."
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nudism and Health Issues