Barefooting: De Agony of De-Feet

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Barefooting: De Agony of De-Feet

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Well I am now inspired to offer a progress report on trying to adapt to going barefoot. I have been making a goodly bit of progress and am able to work around the yard without much of a problem though I have to be careful when I attempt to cross our gravel driveway. I think my feet are toughening up a bit.

However I have experienced a bit of a set back. Judging by the distinctive reaction and the distinct way it feels, I believe that my feet have encountered that Devil Weed, otherwise known as Poison Ivy.

I first felt it between the index and middle toes and then on the tops of the toes at the hair follicles and then on the tops of my feet that started to get small itchy red spots.

But at least it seems to be responding to my usual regimen:
a. -- using multiple facial tissues so as not to spread it, apply deodorized 100% mineral spirits to the tissues and cleanse the skin. (It is a common if not primary ingredient in anti poison ivy treatments and for the price of one bottle of one of those patent medicine treatments you can buy a whole gallon of the stuff at the paint store/department)
b. -- With a soft brush and a gentle detergent scrub the skin, (removes the mineral spirits and the dissolved poison with it) and rinse in plenty of water (This is most easily done sitting on the edge of the bath tub. letting the rinse go straight down the drain) If the itching is already severe continue to rinse with hot water as this suppresses the itch, (Just don't scald the skin).
c.-- Apply a spray of "Bactine", (contains lidocane) to suppress itch and it is an antiseptic to prevent bacterial complication.
d.-- Be alert, If further outbreak occurs, It likely was there all along and had not yet worked down to the live skin cells. Treat any new extension of the reaction in the same manner as above. Be cautions about any additional treatment other than the Bactine or hot water as too much treatment may not be good for sensitive skin.

If you contracted the poison ivy in an area you regularly frequent, go get the herbicide and go hunting for the poison ivy (while wearing shoes) and take revenge. ..... with prejudice!!

OK you advocates of barefooting How often do you get problems with poison ivy?

By the way, I just encountered a few days ago, a medical report claim that going barefoot has an anti Alzheimers effect. Has anybody heard that claim, and is there anything to it? At the very least the increased emphasis on not stepping on something uncomfortable (or smelly) would seem to exercise the parts of the brain relevant to attentiveness at some primal level :lol:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:25 am

Here is a link to many articles.
http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=barefoot

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:26 pm

jochanaan wrote:...When you can comfortably walk on outdoor concrete or asphalt, you may consider your feet as having "arrived." 8) ...
Well, that statement was a little over-optimistic! I am now comfortable going barefoot on Denver's city streets unless the surface temperature is too hot; but on my recent trip to Valley View Hot Springs, "de feet" were still not tough enough for extended barefooting on gravel paths! :shock: :oops: Well, more toughening shall be in the works. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:...By the way, I just encountered a few days ago, a medical report claim that going barefoot has an anti Alzheimers effect. Has anybody heard that claim, and is there anything to it? At the very least the increased emphasis on not stepping on something uncomfortable (or smelly) would seem to exercise the parts of the brain relevant to attentiveness at some primal level :lol:
I've read that; and it seems to make sense. Keeping one's hands and mind active staves off Alzheimer's, so it would seem that the tactile stimulation would have a similar effect. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:43 am

jochanaan wrote:...When you can comfortably walk on outdoor concrete or asphalt, you may consider your feet as having "arrived." 8) ............. but on my recent trip to Valley View Hot Springs, "de feet" were still not tough enough for extended barefooting on gravel paths! :shock: :oops: Well, more toughening shall be in the works. 8)

Concrete is still a bit scary for me. Long Long Ago and Far Far away, when my age could be measured with a single digit, My brother and I went to stay with my Grandmother for a few days in the big city of Chicago at the address of 1360 Greenleaf avenue. Which was a mere 3 or so blocks from the beach at Lake Michigan. With the exuberance and lack of wisdom that accompanies that age I was running along the sidewalk toward the beach and sort of tripped on an uneven joint. I did not fall but rather my toes were curled under and one toe was violent abraded ripping off the toenail. Even the thought of that still gives me chills. and that was more than 60 years ago :roll: .

However I will not believe I have arrived until I can walk on at least 1/2 inch crushed rock and cross a gravel road without greatly flinching in pain. The worst is the bits of gravel strewn atop the packed clay of such a road. :argh:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:27 am

Maybe it gets easier nude?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:04 pm

After the first time across perhaps there are no nerve endings left.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 am

Petros wrote:
Maybe it gets easier nude?

In this case, it might be SAFER as well.

Can you imagine what would happen to this guy if one of those embers landed on his shirt or pants? Whereas, if he were nude, the same ember would likely just bounce off or be easily brushed off. :shock:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am

Indeed; that had occurred to me. Of course, they might be flame retardant. But - polyester shorts on a firewalk?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Nudism and Health Issues