A tanning pecularity.

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A tanning pecularity.

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Am I weird? Wait, Wait, don't answer that one. :lol: Instead please answer my question about the peculiarity I am experiencing in tanning.

An chance confluence of events has brought a question about tanning to my attention.
a.-- I have recently embarked on a program to strengthen my feet and lower legs by going barefoot outdoors. and I have made considerable progress and am going barefoot extensively.
b.-- My son has put together a family reunion in Florida in September with accommodations for all in beach front condos at very inviting prices.

These two events have caused me to be concerned about getting sunburned feet because my feet tend toward being un tanned due to wearing shoes and socks while enjoying naturist activities. So when I decided to work on the barefoot thing I was pleased to think I might lower my risk of sunburned feet. Now after weeks of bare-footing and getting close to the reunion I am dismayed to look down and see my "Lilly White" feet. The tops of my feet have developed no tan at all even though my tan has gotten much deeper over the same time. While pondering this problem I happened to look at the back of my hands and see something that I had not considered.
The backs of my hands show a similar problem. My fingers all the way back to and including the knuckle where they join to the back of the hand are considerably lighter than the backs of my hands. I do wear leather gloves while doing outdoor labor such as
-- mowing
-- tractor driving
-- raking
-- digging
-- etc.
Basically any work that might blister my hands from chafing. And I do this whether nude or not for the most part.

The tops of my feet are always upward while I am bare-footing but my hands do not get such total exposure as they are usually positioned so that the thumbs are upward. Logically this should mean that tanning the tops of my feet should have readily caught up with my hands. The backs of my hands behind the knuckle where the finger start have a significant tan but no where near as developed on my legs arms and body.

So what gives here? Is there some natural melanin deficiency for hands and feet?
The distaff side members may be better able to advise me because, in my experience, obtaining a perfect even tan is more frequently a topic for them than men.

As we are now as close to the reunion as we are, I doubt I can adequately improve the tan on my feet in any practical way. I may have to obtain some of that colorful sun block to keep from getting a painful burn on my feet. (I was musing to my wife that I might want to get it in both green and red colors so that I can apply it in a maritime running lights theme (Green for starboard, Red for port) :lol: .

But really guys, is it hard to tan the tops & backs of feet & hands?
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: A tanning pecularity.

Postby prairieboy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:04 pm

I believe that it takes skin several seasons to develope the ability to take a tan. When I was a kid I tanned readily. After not tanning for many years, I had to work at it. My buttocks, etc. took even longer until they tan more or less the same as the rest of my body. You might have to visit one of these places where they do the spray tan.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

I've often observed that black folks aren't "black" on the palm side of their hands or the soles of their feet. I've also observed that my fingers and toes tan much less than the backs of my hands and feet. So lack of tanning there would seem to be a part of being human. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:59 pm

jochanaan wrote:....... I've also observed that my fingers and toes tan much less than the backs of my hands and feet. So lack of tanning there would seem to be a part of being human. 8)
Ahhh So then my true identity is not being given away by this........ I will have to include this in my next interplanetary progress report. Thank you :mrgreen: :lol:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Please ignore the previous post is was only intended for the eyes of the commander of the expiditonary groups. :mrgreen: :lol:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Please ignore the previous post is was only intended for the eyes of the commander of the expiditonary groups. :mrgreen: :lol:
What previous post? :mrgreen:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:51 am

And just when I though I was really weird and made my original post on the 22nd it is now the 26th a meer 4 days later and it has been almost entirely overcast and raining nearly every day. Yet, today I looked at my, feet and was shocked to see that they were about as tan as the average of the rest of me. I can offer no explanation! Can overcast and rain cause tanning??? I am certain that I did not walk through any chemical substance. I have no idea what I changed that might have caused the sudden (like 4 days sudden) change. I admit to being completely bumfuzzled as to how this came about. :shock: :? :duh:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:40 am

I am not a doctor, but I don't think direct exposure to strong sun on every square inch is required for tanning. But exposure to the air - not being covered/bound - helps a tan spread out across skin. So your legs might be tan, but not your feet because you wear socks all the time. If you start going barefoot then the tan will spread down to the uncovered parts - even if you don't spend much time in the direct sun.

That's my theory.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am

An interesting observation, however about 50 to 75 % of my waking time I am totally starkers these days. So my ability to be sock free is extensive. Only when I go shopping or to down for some reason am I likely to be socked and shod.

I am noticing that if I am under artificial light, (most of which is florescent or compact florescent), my feet appear darker than they do under natural light.

Because of small biting insects getting worse, I have for the last several week been having to spray my feet with repellent, DEET being the primary ingredient. I am uncertain as to what the insects in question are as the bites seem to be the result of "hit and run" attacks and not the "sit and suck" variety though seed and nymph ticks are so small that they apparently get their fill quickly and so engage in hit and run tactics. What part that plays in the scenario I do not know, but it correlates more with the foot tanning than the foot not tanning. Remembering however that correlation is not causation.

My hands show some improvement in tan but there it has always been mostly the backs of my fingers. I do often wear leather gloves as much of my outdoor time is doing work and my hands blister easily from chafing such as happent with raking hoeing and the like plus the gloves protect my hands from rough, and thorny things as my hands are not all that callused despite the work I use them for, (Neither are my fee for that matter) And of course there is always the possibility of a dietary factor and I had not been thinking of monitoring for that. My diet is undergoing a degree of seasonal change as the garden is now producing plenty of fresh vegetables so it is not at all impossible that a nutrient critical to tanning may now be available more abundantly or some such factor.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:43 pm

On a cloudy day, we still get a lot of UV through the clouds. I seem to recall that it's about 80%, compared to a clear day. But it's much more diffuse, resulting in a more even tan without (mostly) burning. 8)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:28 pm

Which is why in high altitudes even when it looks deadly dull and feels cool you can get nasty effects.

Teste my associate who skin cancered her nose on cloudy days in Nairobi.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues