Barefooting, Beachwalking ?=? Bungalow Legs

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Barefooting, Beachwalking ?=? Bungalow Legs

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 am

I probably need to start off with a definition of a term unfamiliar to most:
Bungalow Legs:
An affliction common to foreigners visiting England, especially visitors from the U.S.
This malady results from the sprawling, one-story homes common in the U.S. due to the extravagant use of land area to place the home on a large lot, unlike the UK where the availability of large lots for housing is exorbitantly expensive, and three story homes on a small lot are quite common.

Several years ago I visited friends in England and vacationed there for about 2 weeks staying in their home and in a condo both of which were 3 story. This entailed much running up and down stairs that were rather steep to save on floor space. Within days my legs, particularly my calves were very sore. To make a stairway compact they are made steep by using a high riser and a short tread which forces one to go up the stairs primarily on one's toes.

I am currently experiencing similar discomfort, which I suspect is a result of recently committing to develop an ability to go barefoot when nude outdoors. I find that to protect my feet it is far better to set down the ball of my foot well before the heel reaches the ground. It is easier to avoid putting full weight atop things like rocks or "hickory nuts in the grass" and it also reduces ground impact that occurs as when walking in heel impact mode as is common with shoes or boots.

I am now however experiencing a great deal of fatigue and cramping in the calves of my legs. This may have also been aggravated by beach walking in Florida last week where we stayed in a condo a block from the beach and I went barefoot to and from and along the beach.

Alas my vacation was marred by a serious urinary infection But walking did help with that so I tried to walk a lot. The beach walking also introduces it own characteristics as the surface allows the foot to sink in yet is a very firm surface once the foot print is made, (unlike soft soil or mud which are also compliant surfaces but not firm).

So the question marks in the title are because I am wondering if this sort of fatigue/aching/cramping is the result of how I have been using my feet versus some side effect of my recent malady or the medications I have taken for that. So if any other Barefooters out there who made the transition from always shod to natural walking have experienced similar transitional problems I would appreciate commentary.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Barefooting, Beachwalking ?=? Bungalow Legs

Postby jasenj1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:47 pm

If you are taking antibiotics for your infection, some are known to affect the achilles tendon & calf muscles.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:07 pm

jasenj1 wrote:If you are taking antibiotics for your infection, some are known to affect the achilles tendon & calf muscles.

You are quite correct. Ciprofloxacin is one known to present such a risk and also affect the peripheral nervous systems of the hands and feet with numbness and tingling. I got some of the peripheral symptoms and stopped taking it immediately and was switched to a different antibiotic However I have been having some of the crampy achy feeling prior to that. My inquiry in this case is to see if other people taking up barefooting have experienced the same. as there is no numbness or tingling now I am not prone to presume damage from the drug, but would like to know if others have experienced the aching when adapting to barefooting.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:20 pm

I have lived in London - 3rd storey Anglice = 4th for Amerikaner plus much stair work at the School.

And in the States much multistorey stair work on the job.

I cannot say that the symptoms described are familiar. But then I was younger then.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Petros wrote:.... I cannot say that the symptoms described are familiar. But then I was younger then.
Seeing as how I was about 64 at the time, That is probably why you missed it and I did not.

My British hosts did seem to have a bit of sympathetic amusement at my developing the malady. My Wife did not seem to have the difficulty but given that she weighs half as much and has much smaller feet (less leverage from the ball of the foot to the ankle) That probably contributed to her being spared.

Those who have taken up with "Barefooting" later in life as I have done might be those with the most authoraitive experience relevant to my query.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:27 pm

Not I, then - the later it gets n my innings the more sensitive my feet.

What I get - not traceable to stairs or walking or biking that i can tell - is a kind of cramp like sensation in the rear of my upper thighs, aetiology unclear.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I took up barefooting seriously only about two years ago. However, I've been a serious bicycle rider for many years, pedaling with the ball of my foot, so my calf muscles were already pretty strong. I never noticed "bungalow foot," and would not have expected to, even if I'd known about it.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby jjsledge » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:03 am

Did a 5k Saturday using 'barefoot' running shoes, which allow you to run and walk barefoot style. My calves are a little sore.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:55 am

Beach sands differ in texture from beach to beach and wet sand at the water's edge behaves differently than wet sand a little higher up and different yet again from dry sand. Slope of the sand varies too. I found it a bit tedious walking at Apollo Beach since the beach plunges at a sharp angle into the water.
Still, it was nude walking on a public beach and I relished the freedom.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:18 am

Going from hiking boots in winter, to sandals for summer, has a similar affect on my legs. Going from sandals to barefoot on the beach does not cause any real soreness, but barefooting on hard surfaces requires a different way of walking which does strain the leg muscles differently.

Wreck Beach is a whole different story. Not the beach itself, but the approximately 500 wooden steps to climb back up to one's vehicle. Next time I go I will definitely take my time going up. My legs were way beyond sore after that.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:39 am

I tend to wear sox around the house, so I can claim semi-barefoot walking. Never noticed any calf issues but until I started wearing Sheer Energy pantyhose I had painful leg cramps, mostly in the hamstrings and mostly at night. I also suffered from heal pain in the past but no reoccurrences in the past five years.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues