CN Village Editing for Dummies

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby natman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am

For our new members, here are some instruction on how to edit posts here on the Christian Naturist Village (cnvillage.org) site.

The most frequently used function in editing a post is to insert a quote from a prior poster.

The easiest way to quote someone is to click on the word "quote" in the upper right corner of the post you wish to quote.

What that will do is automatically insert the proper BB code before and after the entire text of a post. Then you can simply delete everthing except the statement you want to quote. Try it and you will see the open-quote BB code such as [quote="codylechien"]... the text, ending with the close-quote code, [/quote].

Sometimes I find it necessary to break a post into multiple quotes. To do that, I just copy the open-quote code to the clipboard by highlighting it and pressing CTRL-C. Then I past it in front of whichever text I want quoted and follow it by typing in [/quote].


Examine the edit screen.

There is the Subject field where you can add a title for your post. This MUST be done for all NEW topics, but is option on all replies.

Then there are emodicons that can be assigned to the overall post. There are not displayed in the post, but are display in the index list of the post.

To the left of the message body are a group of emodicons that can be inserted into the text, and a link to even more emodicons for the same purpose.

Above the message body are several buttons (Rectangles with a letter or word in them). Unfortunately there are no hot-keys to activate these buttons, so you must click on them with your mouse. To use them, highlight the text you want to affect, then click the button.

  • Button "B" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text to bold.
  • Button "i" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text to italic.
  • Button "u" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text to underline.
  • Button "Quote" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text into a standard quote surrounded by a box.
  • Button "Code" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text into a text surrounded by a box, ignoring any BB or HTML Code
  • Button "List" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text into an indented, buttoned list (I used it for this section of this post.) Each button must be preceeded by [/*:m]
  • .
  • Button "List=" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text into an indented, numbered ([list=1])or alphabetized ([list=A])list. Again, each item in the list must be preceeded by [*].
  • Button "Img" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened url graphic image link into a the photo itself.
  • Button "Url" inserts the BB code to convert the highlightened text into a web link. If the text is an actual url address, it is typically unneccessary to use this button because the software automatically recognizes URLs. (Note: always leave a blank space after a URL)
  • Use the Font colour: drop down or the color bar to change highlighted text color.
  • Use Font size: dropdown to change highlighted text size.


Some additional tips:

Linking words or pictures to a url address is accomplished by typing in the following style of code...
[url=http://www.biblegateway.com]Click these words to link to Biblegateway[/url]
Produces the following linked text... Click these words to link to Biblegateway

[url=http://www.biblegateway.com][img]http://www.geocities.com/natural_man55/sign.jpg[/img][/url]
Produces the following linked image...

Click on the above image to link to Biblegateway


Sometimes a linked image is too large to properly display in a post (Maximum recommended width about 600 pixels). The image can be resized by using similar code to this, making sure to uncheck the "Disable HTML" button below the edit window...
Code: Select all
<img src="http://www.geocities.com/natural_man55/crowd_praise_cnv.jpg" width="400">

<img src="http://www.geocities.com/natural_man55/crowd_praise_cnv.jpg" width="400">

Code: Select all
<img src="http://www.geocities.com/natural_man55/crowd_praise_cnv.jpg" width="200">

<img src="http://www.geocities.com/natural_man55/crowd_praise_cnv.jpg" width="200">

I will copy this post into a new strip (threads are for textiles) called CN Village for Dummies under Questions about this site.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7300
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 am

It looks good, but the emoticons on the right don't all need to be shown, as it seems to just take up a lot of space. Is it possible to remove or move them?
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Sure, I can limit the ones shown on the right, but from the click counts most of them are used often. I guess I could see which ones aren't and remove them. I know the "Caution" one isn't used that much, so I can pull that one off right now.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Webmaster wrote:Sure, I can limit the ones shown on the right, but from the click counts most of them are used often. I guess I could see which ones aren't and remove them. I know the "Caution" one isn't used that much, so I can pull that one off right now.


OK. Alternatively, there is a big white space to the left of it. If you can figure out how to place the textarea there instead of below all of it, then that would work, too.
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:23 pm

i am java wrote:
Webmaster wrote:Sure, I can limit the ones shown on the right, but from the click counts most of them are used often. I guess I could see which ones aren't and remove them. I know the "Caution" one isn't used that much, so I can pull that one off right now.


OK. Alternatively, there is a big white space to the left of it. If you can figure out how to place the textarea there instead of below all of it, then that would work, too.



Let me guess, you're using FireFox for your browser, right? I have the same issue with FF and I've been trying to figure out how to fix that. If you don't want to see that then use Internet Explorer, that white space doesn't show up there.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Webmaster wrote:
i am java wrote:
Webmaster wrote:Sure, I can limit the ones shown on the right, but from the click counts most of them are used often. I guess I could see which ones aren't and remove them. I know the "Caution" one isn't used that much, so I can pull that one off right now.


OK. Alternatively, there is a big white space to the left of it. If you can figure out how to place the textarea there instead of below all of it, then that would work, too.



Let me guess, you're using FireFox for your browser, right? I have the same issue with FF and I've been trying to figure out how to fix that. If you don't want to see that then use Internet Explorer, that white space doesn't show up there.


Ew, never! IE sucks.. When I build a website, I never bother looking at it in Internet Explorer. It might have the largest portion of users, but it's extremely hard to design and build for... period. (That, and it has security holes up the ass.)
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 pm

i am java wrote:Ew, never! IE sucks.. When I build a website, I never bother looking at it in Internet Explorer. It might have the largest portion of users, but it's extremely hard to design and build for... period. (That, and it has security holes up the a**.)


Well, first of all please be careful with the words you use. :)

Secondly, any web designer worth his salt will check the site on all popular browsers to make sure they function properly. IE is actually the easiest of them all to design for, FireFox running a close second and Chrome now in 3rd place (I have no idea why, it cause my system to crash when I went online until I removed it.)

As for the security issues, you're right about that. That's the reason I only use it for testing, then after making sure my AntiVirus and firewalls are up to date.

So my guess is correct, you're using FireFox. I'm still working on the issue. The one thing I find funny is that it doesn't show up that way in the PM text box, only when posting in the forums. :?
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Webmaster wrote:Well, first of all please be careful with the words you use. :)


I thought there was a word filter. >_<

Webmaster wrote:Secondly, any web designer worth his salt will check the site on all popular browsers to make sure they function properly. IE is actually the easiest of them all to design for, FireFox running a close second and Chrome now in 3rd place (I have no idea why, it cause my system to crash when I went online until I removed it.)


Are you serious? For Naturist Teens, in order to get the images in the member gallery to resize right, I had to use a mixture of JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. For FireFox, all I had to do was use the following CSS:

.pic {
max-width:100px;
max-height:100px;
}

I think Internet Explorer is by far the hardest to code for. This chart shows almost every web designer's feelings:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... design.gif

Webmaster wrote:As for the security issues, you're right about that. That's the reason I only use it for testing, then after making sure my AntiVirus and firewalls are up to date.

So my guess is correct, you're using FireFox. I'm still working on the issue. The one thing I find funny is that it doesn't show up that way in the PM text box, only when posting in the forums. :?


Indeed. I noticed that when replying to your private message. :S
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Been a while since I did coding for IE. I'll go back and look over my notes, but there's a work around for auto resizing images in IE. If I find it I'll PM the coding to you.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Webmaster wrote:Been a while since I did coding for IE. I'll go back and look over my notes, but there's a work around for auto resizing images in IE. If I find it I'll PM the coding to you.


It's ok, I Googled it. It's stupid how much work goes into coding for IE. I can't tell you how many of my designs failed in IE, but worked perfectly in FireFox. (Example: I believe that the forum posts don't center align in IE: http://naturist-teens.com/forums?view=2,1,297)
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby natman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 pm

I also thought we enabled the word filter. (???)


As for the emodicons, I personally like having the extra ones and would love to have access to even more. However, it might be nice if we only saw the first 15 or 17 but had access to the rest by clicking on "View more smilies".



Also, I agree with WM about designing around IE, even though it is not the "best", most secure browser out there. Unfortunately, it is the most used browser and the one that most designers design around.





BTW, I noticed that the edit window is different for this post in that it did not have that huge blank space between the formatting links and the editing area. Did you change something?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7300
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:16 pm

The filter is turned on, but the "ass" is used to refer to a donkey so it's allowed.

I did try to fix a couple of things, but I'm still seeing the white space at the top.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby i am java » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Webmaster wrote:The filter is turned on, but the "ass" is used to refer to a donkey so it's allowed.

I did try to fix a couple of things, but I'm still seeing the white space at the top.


*Foul Language Used* is referred to as female dog, *Foul Language Used* is referred to as just feces, damn is referring to condemning someone or something.

Might as well just filter the word if it's offensive, 'ey?
i am java
Permanent Resident
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: CN Village Editing for Dummies

Postby Webmaster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:34 am

Sarcasm is duly noted.

*Foul Language Used* does refer to a female dog and is used in the bible in some translations.

The S word for fecal material isn't used in the bible and therefore should be caught by the filter. The bible uses the word "dung" when referring to fecal material.

Damn is used in the bible, however it is used more commonly as "Damned" than anything else. However blocking "Damn" would also block "Damned" and would make it more difficult to follow the comments somebody else is making.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
User avatar
Webmaster
Councillor
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm


Return to Questions about this website

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests