So what do you think so far?

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

The upgraded site is

Wonderful!
44%
Very good
36%
Good, but will take some getting used to
21%
Ok, but I like the old site better
No votes
It's horrible! Change it back
No votes

Total votes : 39

So what do you think so far?

Postby Webmaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Your comments about the upgrade are welcome, if you want to put them in, positive or negative.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
Webmaster
Councillor

Re: So what do you think so far?

Postby Webmaster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am

bump
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
Webmaster
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 am

The biggest thing I am getting used to is the pages so far right of the strip title. I'll get there!
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby scurtis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:48 am

Over all, I like it just fine. At times I have trouble reading it with the shaded background. That could be caused by my tented glasses. But without them, I can't read it at all. It is just something I will get used to.

I also miss the spell check. Now I must find my dictionary. Hmmmmm, those pages are tented too. or is that just yellow with age.
Sam (the 2nd one)

God must have a sense of humor, He made me.
scurtis
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 am

scurtis wrote:I also miss the spell check. Now I must find my dictionary. Hmmmmm, those pages are tented too. or is that just yellow with age.

There are a couple of options on the spelling (not in order of preference).

1) Switch browsers. Firefox and others have spell checkers built in. Internet Explorer does not.
2) Get IESpell for Internet Explorer. It is a plugin for the browser.
3) I learned from Natman (elsewhere) that Google's toolbar has a spellchecker as well. They also have quite a few other good features so...
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Webmaster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 am

scurtis wrote:Over all, I like it just fine. At times I have trouble reading it with the shaded background. That could be caused by my tented glasses. But without them, I can't read it at all. It is just something I will get used to.

I also miss the spell check. Now I must find my dictionary. Hmmmmm, those pages are tented too. or is that just yellow with age.

One option that this software has is a text resize for people that have problems reading the posts. I'm not sure if it needs to be done each time you log in or not, though.

You'll find a little button at the top of the page right above where the log out link is.

Click that button once or twice to make the text larger. A third click will return everything to regular sizes.

Give that a try and see if it works for you.
Webmaster
Councillor

Postby firefighter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm

I like it, the more I use it the more I like it. My only compliant is when I open a forum it goes to the first page rather than the latest post. Keep up the great! work.

Jim

Opps I just figured it out. :duh:
firefighter
Native Resident

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Webmaster wrote:One option that this software has is a text resize for people that have problems reading the posts. I'm not sure if it needs to be done each time you log in or not, though.

In case you didn't know it all of the modern browsers support this function for ANY web page. Ctrl-+ increases the font size and Ctrl-- decreases the size (that's control key and the + key or - key). Ctrl-0 (zero) returns the page to normal.

In Christ,
Dave
Dave
Councillor

Postby Myllanac » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm

I like the new look!
Myllanac
Resident

Postby stillseeking » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Dave wrote:In case you didn't know it all of the modern browsers support this function for ANY web page. Ctrl-+ increases the font size and Ctrl-- decreases the size (that's control key and the + key or - key). Ctrl-0 (zero) returns the page to normal.

Oh, awesome! Maybe now I don't need my glasses when I am reading online!! :lol: .....It's tough gettin' old! ;)
~Wendy~
stillseeking
Native Resident

Postby Ckin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:52 am

Fabulous job, Webmaster. I know what you went through to get this site upgraded, that is, without losing the existing data, and you are to be commended. I've handled CMSes and other software upgrades that were very tricky. Then there's the complaints to deal with.

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

-Ckin
Ckin
Native Resident

Postby brumnude » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Been quite awhile since i visited and the upgrade is most welcome. The old interface was slow and clunky and this one is I think the latest phpBB. well done!
brumnude
Resident

Postby dby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Webmaster wrote:Your comments about the upgrade are welcome, if you want to put them in, positive or negative.

It would be nice if links given in messages would not open in the same window on the browser. If I recall correctly, on the old software clicked links would open in a new window (or tab depending on your browser.) Is there a way we could do that? So often the link goes somewhere interesting and I lose my place and don't find my way back here......
:roll:
dby
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 pm

dby wrote:
Webmaster wrote:Your comments about the upgrade are welcome, if you want to put them in, positive or negative.

It would be nice if links given in messages would not open in the same window on the browser. If I recall correctly, on the old software clicked links would open in a new window (or tab depending on your browser.) Is there a way we could do that? So often the link goes somewhere interesting and I lose my place and don't find my way back here......

I've learned to right-click on the links and select "Open in new tab." 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Webmaster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:41 am

dby wrote:

Part of that is how the person posts the link. Most people don't know how to do this, so I would simply do what John suggests: RIGHT click on the link then select "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab."
Webmaster
Councillor

Next

Return to Questions about this website