College professor orders students to stomp on "Jesus"

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

College professor orders students to stomp on "Jesus"

Postby King_David » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 am

A professor at Florida Atlantic Univeristy ordered his class to write "Jesus" on a piece of paper and then stomp on it. :shock: The instructor, Deandre Poole, is "Professor of Intercultural Communications" (I am not making this up) and, coincidentally, the vice chairman of the Palm Beach Democratic Party. According to their website, Dr. Poole's program focuses on how "influential authorities dominate and oppress marginialized groups of people." He certainly did, Ollie, he most certainly did!

One (only one?) student refused to do so, and he was suspended by the university and ordered not to talk about it. However, Governor Rick Scott heard about it and all Hell broke loose. Governor Scott wrote to State University System Chancellor Frank Brogan demanding an explanation:

Dear Chancellor Brogan:

I am deeply disappointed in the recent actions of FAU faculty that raises significant questions over students' rights and the lessons that are being taught in our classrooms...As we enter the week memorializing the events of Christ's passion, this incident gave me great concern over the lessons we are teaching our students. Initial news reports said Ryan Rotela, a student at the school, was suspended from class because he refused to participate in the activity...Whether the student was reprimanded or whether an apooigy was given is in many ways inconsequental to the larger issue of a professor's poor judgement. The professor's lesson was offensive and even intolerant, to Chrisitans and those of all faiths who deserve to be respected as Americans entitled to religious freedom...I am requesting a report of the incident, how it was handled and a statement of the university's policies to insure this type of "lesson" will not occur again.

Thank you, Governor Scott!

Since the incident became public, FAU has backpedaled furiously on their support of the professor and now claims the student was never suspended or gagged. Governor Scott spoke to Rotela personally yesterday, congratulating him "for having the courage to stand up for his faith," saying "It took great conviction and bravery to stand up and say what he was asked to do was wrong, and went against what he believed in."
King_David
Native Resident

Re: College professor orders students to stomp on "Jesus"

Postby Petros » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 am

so - who exactly is marginalized?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 am

I found it interesting that the student involved was Mormon.

In my personal opinion...
  • Thumbs up to the student
  • Were there no other Christians in the class?
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Petros wrote:so - who exactly is marginalized?

In this case, it was a matter of the professor marginalizing Christians. I think he got his point across, even though it was not the result he had anticipated... or maybe it was.

By standing up for his religious freedom, Ryan Rotela show the rest of the class, the university, the state of Florida and the nation how NOT to become "marginalized".

Kudos!!!
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 am

While certain ones doubtless believe it a highly moral act to show oppressors what it feels like,it might actually help if they opened their eyes to look at reality instead of thinking up neat symbolisms to act out. One thinks of Americans of darker kin who visited Kenya in the 70s, expecting a great Africa homeland of brotherhood and respect, only to find that thet looked down on the Kikuyu [as being far from with it by American standards, who looked down on the Luo [as being too black], who looked down on the American "brothers" as being naive and snooty ....

Fact of life - unredeemed humanity WILL find someone to treat as inferior. As Dean Swift pointed out,

"So Nat'ralists observe, a Flea
Hath smaller Fleas that on him prey,
And these have smaller Fleas to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum."

You will allow archaic Irish rhymes.

Mutual respect requires divine assistance.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby singal77 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 am

:) The student that did not stomp on Jesus Christ Face was a Latter Day Saint.
singal77
Permanent Resident

Postby jopartain » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:50 am

Too bad this professor is back in business. If you violate the rules, it's about time you get punishment.
jopartain
Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:20 am

So true - the issue however is whose rules rule whom?
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Christianity and Ethics