Ranking Sin

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Ranking Sin

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am

"Ranking sin!" if one even brings up this topic, someone will jump in with a statement like "Sin is Sin! you must reject it all and repent of every bit of it!" one cannot rank sin!" And while there is truth in that statement, the statement is not precise enough.

Consider if Eva had asked Adolph if he ever had a thing for Gretta and to spare Eva's feelings Adolph had denied the fling he had with Gretta that would have been a lie, and hence a sin. However, such a sin, if committed in lying to his girlfriend, Eva Braun, pales in insignificance compared to the impact of Adolph Hitler did with his final solution for the Jews.

So my question to you is, Precisely, in what various ways should sin be ranked and in what ways should it not."

Consider that the sin of homosexuality is called an abomination and the punishment prescribed for that was a prompt unwavering execution. While for other sins, simply a beating is prescribed and in some cases the beating is to be many stripes and in other cases few stripes. For theft, a fourfold replacement of the stolen merchandise or its value is required.

For a sin to be forgiven, repentance is required, so in that sense, any sin that one refuses to repent of becomes an unpardonable sin.
1Sam 15: 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. .......
Exodus 22: 18 ¶Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Some sins seem to give a temporary but strong reward which tends to habituate the sinner and possibly even alter their mind so that they justify the sin and revel in it. Such a sin would certainly seem to be worse, more dangerous to the sinner, more important to avoid, than a simple misstep that the sinner immediately senses the distastefulness of.

So what say you? How would you clarify the matter of ranking of sin?
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Ranking Sin

Postby jimmy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am

Some sins are so bad they are called "an abomination!!" However, as you have already said any sin requires repentence and forgivness.

Jimmy
jimmy
Councillor

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 am

Brings to mind these scriptures
Ez

Matthew 10:15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Matthew 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
Matthew 11:24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.
Mark 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Luke 10:12 But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.
Luke 10:14 But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment, than for you.
ezduzit

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 am

Jesus Himself affirmed the concept of "ranking sin" when he answered the Pharisee's question, "Which is the greatest commandment?" (See Matthew 22:35-40) He also elsewhere spoke of the "greater matters" of the Law. or something like that. (Sorry, I don't quite have time to look that one up.) So according to Jesus, the greatest sin is not loving God or your fellowman--but of course, these two commandments sum up all sins.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 am

Then sin that condemns.......... unbelief , what does a person have to do to go to hell? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Ez

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
ezduzit

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm

But Scripture is clear that there are degrees of reward in Heaven and there also appears to be degrees of punishment in hell.

In Him
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Here is one speaking of the saints standing before the Judgement Seat of Christ.
For those not familiar with this area of Scripture. Believers go before the Judgement Seat of Christ to receive their rewards (jewels in crown so to speak) and then we will cast our crowns unto the Lamb for He is worthy.
The Great White Throne Judgement will be for the unbeliever - you don't want to be there.

2Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

This is a lot more and it will take me some time to make give you a really great answer.

In Jesus Christ our Lord and Soon Coming King
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 pm

This strip smells a lot like a discussion on "Sin Management".

I think it borders on "living in the flesh".
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

I've been holding off - said all I need to say on the topic under another head.

Whether or not God grades [on a curve?] I see no indication he wants us keeping score.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 am

bn2bnude wrote:This strip smells a lot like a discussion on "Sin Management".

I think it borders on "living in the flesh".

Very good article, but there is a sin, pride, that prevents one from admitting one's need to depend fully on Jesus. Then there is sin, one acknowledges it as a sin, but refuses to repent of it.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Return to Christianity and Ethics