A good plan for better health,

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A good plan for better health,

Postby baresoul » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm

I thought I should share about this, as some will or already do suffer some conditions. I hope this will be looked at seriously. Thorough studies are behind it and this has helped many people, and it has saved lives. Any one of the many issues to health and well-being might be yours.

I learned first it is better for health going without meat.

When I found the information of Forks Over Knives, I realized I was seeing the absolutely most healthful way of eating shown from that. So I could eat this right way with which many health problems can be avoided.

There are other reasons that are important to give up animal products. But this much change may be intimidating to people, I see others, but not all, not being responsive to try coming to such change. But I make mention of the site for it, http://www.forksoverknives.com, though I found the book first, and saw the documentary film later, this site is extremely helpful with showing how to transition, with many delicious healthy recipes shown, and providing way to give time for such a transition. It is indeed lifesaving.

The studies for this are many, the China Study is the largest ever. Quoted here is text from The Forks Over Knives Plan, authored by doctors. There are many conclusive studies behind this, and lives have been saved with it.

Americans are sick, tired, and over-medicated. Every fifty-three seconds someone in the United States dies of heart disease, which, as the nation's number one killer, claims about 600,000 lives per year. Cancer, now the second leading cause of death, takes the lives of more than 1500 people per day. Meanwhile, nearly 10 percent of the population has diabetes; and our children are getting sicker, as indicated by the startling fact that obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past thirty years. We have turned to the medical system for help, and it has delivered medication in a big way: Nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug, more than 50 percent take two, and 20 percent are on five or more prescription drugs. Despite the billions of dollars being spent on pharmaceuticals, the needle almost never moves downward on the rates of chronic disease, and the people still feel lousy and sick.

Health statistics aren't just about numbers on a page or data on a statistician's ledger. These are our mothers, fathers, siblings, and children. These are our friends. The health crisis is taking a real toll on our daily lives, profoundly affecting the personal happiness and productivity of millions of us every single day.

There is good news, though. Research is revealing with greater certainty that we understand the main cause of this epidemic: an American diet that derives more than 90 percent of what we eat from animal-based and processed foods. Understanding the cause means there's hope! The research tells us that if we change to an entirely different way of eating, we can dramatically alter our health destiny.

Modern pioneers like T. Colin Cambell, PhD; Caldwell Esselstyn, MD; Dean Ornish, MD; John McDougall, MD; Neal Barnard, MD; and others are leading the charge. Thanks to these doctors and researchers, along with an emerging body of scientific evidence from all corners, we now know that a whole-food, plant-based diet is more powerful at preventing and treating chronic diseases than any medication or procedure. We are so convinced by the evidence that we believe if this diet came in a pill, it would be heralded on the front pages of newspapers and magazines around the world for its effectiveness.

There is a movement under way as hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, are trying the whole-food, plant-based lifestyle for themselves and finding great success. We have personally seen remarkable results in our own medical practice, not to mention experienced it in our own lives. Here are just a few of the significant life-changing results you may expect:

Prevent and reverse the leading chronic ailments. A whole-food, plant-based diet can prevent, halt, and even reverse heart disease and diabetes. Other diseases that are also positively impacted by this type of diet include: high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, and overall mortality. Cancer is also significantly affected by this diet. In fact, the foods that make up this diet are the exact same foods that were recommended in the first "surviving cancer" dietary recommendations. There is also evidence that a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of diverticular disease, gallstones, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and kidney disease. Furthermore, after switching to a plant-based diet, people routinely report experiencing or seeing in others improvements in a range of ailments, including osteoporosis, arthritis, headaches, acne, asthma, sexual dysfunction, reflux, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, dementia, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, infertility, insomnia, and sleep apnea. They even find themselves experiencing fewer or less intense colds, viruses, and allergies.

Reach your ideal weight. Our friend Doug Lisle likes to point out that humans and their domesticated pets are the only earthly creatures that suffer from being overweight and obese ... in spite of the fact that we're also the only creatures who practice portion control! Why is this the case? It's simple. All the other animals on earth are eating foods that are appropriate for their species. If we also eat foods that are appropriate for our species -- whole, plant-based foods -- then we, too, will be able to eat without portion control and will naturally reach a comfortable weight.

Improve mental clarity Eating a whole-food, plant-based diet improves cognitive function and protects against dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Most people experience greater clarity of thought, improved ability to concentrate, and better memory.

Experience only positive effects, not "side effects". Perhaps you would choose to transition to a plant-based diet to reverse heart disease or reduce your diabetes medications, but now you could see that you would welcome into your life an abundance of positive effects. These can include better mood, sounder sleep, improved bowel function, and more vibrant skin. You will have more energy to do the things you love, like playing with your children or grandchildren, biking, gardening, walking, swimming. You may even want to exercise more. By contrast, as we'll discuss more, medical procedures and medications can have all sorts of major unintended negative consequences.

Have a sense of well-being and empowerment. You are in control of your health. You do not have to settle for compromised health or believe that you are destined to succumb to chronic disease. You can live with less fear that a heart attack can happen at any time or that you will be struck by the same chronic ailment from which other members of your family have suffered.

Save time and money. Whether you have health insurance or not, you will likely have to pay out of pocket for at least some of your health care expenses if you are sick. Fewer trips to the doctor and fewer procedures and pills equal more time and money you can spend in other areas of your life.

The Forks Over Knives Plan, pages 15-18.
baresoul
Native Resident

Re: A good plan for better health,

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:22 am

I agree whole heartedly with everything you wrote. There is one thing that always amuses me: Proccessed Foods.

Frequently used and seldom defined as to what exactly is processing. Is it is anything more than picking it from the tree and eating it? A raw apple or peach is not proccessed, but what about a cooked peach? I like my Brussels sprouts cut in half, cooked in a microwave for three minutes, and only lightly buttered and salted. Is that pure enough? Go back to that apple; pick it, dice it, add cinnamon, add vegetable oil, add ground up wheat, cook it, and serve it. Is that proccessed too much? if it is in my kitchen people usually say it is fine, but if it is in a big kitchen with thousands of apples people say it is proccessed. What is the difference?

Sugar and sodium nitrite cured pork belly,sliced, and fried is generallly called bacon and is also called proccessed by most everyone, but when did it cross the line? Where is the line? The sugar? The nitrite? The frying?

Like most issues, there is a high level of emotions and a low level of precise terms. I do fine it rather amusing to hear all the emotions associated with food, health, weight gain and loss, comfort level, and so on.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 am

Yes, "processed food" is poorly defined. I get wheat off the combine, clean it up a bit and put it through a hammer mill, mix it with eggs, milk, and a little salt and leavening, fry it on a pan, and have pancakes. That's processing, but less than having all the bran and wheat germ removed, having it bleached and more chemicals added, mixed with many other ingredients, and coming in a box or carton.

When the factory does the processing there tends to be lower nutrients and more unwanted ingredients than if we do it ourselves at home.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:I agree whole heartedly with everything you wrote. There is one thing that always amuses me: Proccessed Foods.

Frequently used and seldom defined as to what exactly is processing. Is it is anything more than picking it from the tree and eating it? A raw apple or peach is not proccessed, but what about a cooked peach? I like my Brussels sprouts cut in half, cooked in a microwave for three minutes, and only lightly buttered and salted. Is that pure enough? Go back to that apple; pick it, dice it, add cinnamon, add vegetable oil, add ground up wheat, cook it, and serve it. Is that proccessed too much? if it is in my kitchen people usually say it is fine, but if it is in a big kitchen with thousands of apples people say it is proccessed. What is the difference?

Sugar and sodium nitrite cured pork belly,sliced, and fried is generallly called bacon and is also called proccessed by most everyone, but when did it cross the line? Where is the line? The sugar? The nitrite? The frying?

Like most issues, there is a high level of emotions and a low level of precise terms. I do fine it rather amusing to hear all the emotions associated with food, health, weight gain and loss, comfort level, and so on.

Jim wrote:Yes, "processed food" is poorly defined. I get wheat off the combine, clean it up a bit and put it through a hammer mill, mix it with eggs, milk, and a little salt and leavening, fry it on a pan, and have pancakes. That's processing, but less than having all the bran and wheat germ removed, having it bleached and more chemicals added, mixed with many other ingredients, and coming in a box or carton.

When the factory does the processing there tends to be lower nutrients and more unwanted ingredients than if we do it ourselves at home.

It is the way doctors use the term, and when there is no equivocating the site I mentioned, http://www.forksoverknives.com, uses the meaning in the precise way. Breads are processed if they do not have whole grain and ingredients from recognized food that isn't processed. Some things we buy are prepared and have distinct ingredients already, these have to be checked to start with for that. Produce we get would always be whole food. Whole grain flour would be. Fruits will be. It is a great change that can be intimidating for those who have yet to do it and will, but it isn't rocket science. It is the healthy way they are talking about with which doctors save their patients lives, and in at least one case, their own lives. If there is confusion on what to avoid and what to use that is healthier, for goodness sake look at the site, which really is extremely helpful for this, if not the book, or even the documentary, for the information that is certainly there, for better health, avoiding things as were listed: heart attacks and strokes, diabetes, cancers, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, higher overall mortality, diverticular disease, gallstones, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and kidney disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, headaches, acne, asthma, sexual dysfunction, reflux, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, dementia, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, infertility, insomnia, and sleep apnea. The studies are really behind it. No emotional response was invoked to share this. I still see some complain about poor health or issues they suffer, that made me think with this change it wouldn't have had to be.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for sharing, baresoul. I'm blessed that my mom understood the value of eating whole, unprocessed foods (including and especially the "superfoods") and always did her best to prepare healthy meals for us.

I think I can count the "processed" foods I eat on one hand:
- Creme cookies (healthier version of Oreos)
- Ice cream
- Whole wheat or almond flour crackers
- Root vegetable chips

Yeah, there you go, four things. I guess if you wanted to get really picky, I could count things like applesauce, canned vegetables, nut butters...

After eating healthy for so long, there's no way I'll ever stop. Plus, I enjoy preparing my own food more than I do going out to eat someone else's (that costs more and takes longer—but I guess the trade-off is the "experience" :) ).
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:28 am

Another factor for store-bought food is the list of ingredients. If you cannot pronounce them you probably do not want to eat them. But then I do get a kick out of teasing the purist about not consuming too mucn dihydrogen monoxide. It can kill you in excess quantities.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:07 am

Not only that, but you can get high on it, and it erodes metals.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 am

New_Adventurer wrote:Another factor for store-bought food is the list of ingredients. If you cannot pronounce them you probably do not want to eat them. But then I do get a kick out of teasing the purist about not consuming too much dihydrogen monoxide. It can kill you in excess quantities.

It's also in all sorts of foods without even being put on the ingredients list. Nefarious, I say!
Jim
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Indeed it is undesirable to be drowning in that stuff. As far as lists of ingredients, it is healthy if the ingredients are what you could get for food yourself. But we like many things in combination, and some combinations are involving so much to do we would rather get it with someone else doing the work. So I get bread already made, though I could make bread myself. But it is involving to find desirable bread that is whole grain, and not with milk, or honey, as I observe to live a vegan way, with all the issues in the world I see.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 am

baresoul wrote: But it is involving to find desirable bread that is whole grain, and not with milk, or honey, as I observe to live a vegan way, with all the issues in the world I see.

The Bible speaks of milk and honey as very positive products. I understand too much milk-fat can be unhealthy, but why would you avoid local honey?
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 am

I have never understood where the vegan way came from, nor where they got such an unreasoning name - but I do not generally argue with them or Jehovah's witnesses. I could point out to the one errors in their Bible version, to the other that (shades of the giant bedbug story) we are constantly being nibbled by various levels of carnivore while every plant dines ultimately on animal flesh.

But - I have made up my mind, do not confuse me with facts - applies to all oof us. I do not necessarily exclude myself.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby OzTech » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 am

I suspect that dihydrogen monoxide is better termed Hydrogen Hydroxide i.e. a Hydrogen atom linked to an hydroxide molecule... but then... it's been decades since I studied Chemistry at a tertiary level.
If all else fails.... read the instructions
OzTech
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 am

The real question is - is it an acid or a base?
Petros
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Jim wrote:
baresoul wrote: But it is involving to find desirable bread that is whole grain, and not with milk, or honey, as I observe to live a vegan way, with all the issues in the world I see.

The Bible speaks of milk and honey as very positive products. I understand too much milk-fat can be unhealthy, but why would you avoid local honey?

With veganism, it is not desirable to take lives of those that want to live. Animals do want to live, and bees are animals. The industry of beekeeping is killing bees, that really happens. Bees do not need us. But the bee population is dying out, and beekeeping is not a way that helps against that, besides the fact that it was through beekeeping that it was noticed the bee population is going down quickly. Eliminating use of pesticides and providing places with flowers desirable to bees, and water, helps bees to continue. Each bee works very hard for what is a tiny amount of honey to us, and they make it for their young, not people, who steal the honey from them. If you want to help bees continue in this world, getting honey should be avoided, while you could provide for them, with places with desirable flowers and water.

Milk and honey is a very symbolic reference to abundant provision, it should be taken with that meaning. Indeed a place where bees make honey, with people not even using it, but it providing for offspring of bees, and milk produced, with people not even using it, but going to the calves it was meant for, is really a place with abundant provision, that is where abundant produce can grow.

Petros wrote:...we are constantly being nibbled by various levels of carnivore while every plant dines ultimately on animal flesh.
But - I have made up my mind, do not confuse me with facts.

I do understand and could explain where veganism comes from, if I wanted to. It doesn't seem called for and I won't bother with it now, it is involving.

But if there are real pests to us (they bite us), we are justified to destroy them. Actually plants consume from the air, almost all the mass of plants comes from that, and almost all the rest of the mass of plants comes from water. Soil permits certain needed minerals to be available. Dead things, mostly previous vegetation, contributes to that. It is like plants could keep growing even without animals around. Animals do help though, as bees and other pollinators keep flowering plants continually reproducing.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:34 am

About 18 months ago I had a debate with a die-hard nutritionist about the merits of certain foods. She was adamant that rolled oats (as in Quaker Oats) were bad because they had been processed. She continued that whole or steel-cut oat were perfectly fine. I pressed her as to why. What did a mechanical process do to affect their nutritional qualities. She didn’t really have a good reason other than rolled oats are processed whereas cut oats are fine. Sounded like it was more prejudicial than factual. At this point all I can say for certain is that rolled oats cook a lot faster than cut or whole oats.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nudism and Health Issues