They sold their souls for...

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

They sold their souls for...

Postby Maverick » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 am

In works from Goethe's Faust to Charlie Daniels's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", and musicians from 30's Delta blues guitarist Robert Johnson to innumerable pop and rap artists today, there's the common theme of selling one's soul to the devil. Just curious what the Village's thoughts are on this topic. I've not done a ton of research into it yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot recently.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: They sold their souls for...

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 am

I think it's a premise that makes an interesting story, but does not reflect spiritual reality.

We are saved from the evil one by the death of Jesus Christ, which overrules any such "sale" if such a sale were possible.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Being a fan of the blues, I have heard the story of Robbert Johnson, and have wondered about this. Seeing as this so called bargain is made with the “Father of Lies”, could it be just a ploy to make them think they are irredeemably lost and to keep them from seeking salvation
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:22 am

Who sups with the devil must have a long spoon.

I always valued The Devil and Daniel Webster, and no doubt there are those who give themselves to the devil because, as it was said, the alternative is unthinkable. But - who will - awake - exchange his large and productive farm for a half-eaten cheeseburger?

If it happens, it cannot be a simple transaction.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby varv » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Maverick wrote:In works from Goethe's Faust to Charlie Daniels's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", and musicians from 30's Delta blues guitarist Robert Johnson to innumerable pop and rap artists today, there's the common theme of selling one's soul to the devil. Just curious what the Village's thoughts are on this topic. I've not done a ton of research into it yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot recently.

You think because you doubt? I for one don't think. I just see it, and there's no doubt. They all made their choice. We, I hope, too.
varv
Resident

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I first look at things quite literally, but then start wondering what's behind it.

Could you be thinking about the evangelical church and Donald Trump? My previous answer still stands.

Jim wrote:We are saved from the evil one by the death of Jesus Christ, which overrules any such "sale" if such a sale were possible.

Of course, repentance is needed.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Jim wrote:I think it's a premise that makes an interesting story, but does not reflect spiritual reality.

We are saved from the evil one by the death of Jesus Christ, which overrules any such "sale" if such a sale were possible.

And I was wondering if there was any kind of "evil equivalent" to salvation, meaning just as we're saved by Christ (and can never be lost), so too could a lost soul be "saved" by the evil one and never be found by Christ.

Jim wrote:I first look at things quite literally, but then start wondering what's behind it.

Could you be thinking about the evangelical church and Donald Trump? My previous answer still stands.

Haha, nope! Far from it.

nakedpreacher wrote:Being a fan of the blues, I have heard the story of Robbert Johnson, and have wondered about this. Seeing as this so called bargain is made with the “Father of Lies”, could it be just a ploy to make them think they are irredeemably lost and to keep them from seeking salvation

Could be, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's thought about it. :)

At the end of the day, maybe it is just a myth, but I have to wonder where the myth originated from, and whether it has some basis in fact. Just thought it would be an interesting topic for the forum.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 am

Seeing as this so called bargain is made with the “Father of Lies”, could it be just a ploy to make them think they are irredeemably lost and to keep them from seeking salvation

Yes, a good point and something Lucifer would be likely to think of. There is also Tiolkien - an interesting theologian with whom I have a lt in common - and his take on the effect of the Ring - the Ringwraiths are essentially those who have made and embraced the bargain. I tend not to agree there, though.

I have recently encoumntered two literary references to the Wandering Jew - withn a week, what are the odds? I think he is part of the same folklore. The tales are not always wrong - nor always right.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 am

I have been involved in the lives of a few people who had been or, more usually, were taken into the stuff of the enemy. The best known story is 'From witchcraft to Christ' by Doreen Irvine which catalogues her journey via drugs and prostitution to becoming a fully fledged satanist. It also tells of how she met Jesus, got saved and got out. It's worth noting those who truly get into that life do not, unlike rappers, rockers, goths or whoever, talk about it because what they do is vile and wretched.

I've met a few folk who left and also, thankfully, got saved but the damage done to them is vast, deep rooted and awful. Can you sell your soul to the enemy? Yes you can but the price Jesus paid on the cross is far more than enough to redeem anyone, no matter what they"ve done and there is healing and hope for all of us.

I've seen the damage done to my friends and it is very real; they will probably spend the rest of their earthly lives dealing with it. I'm just glad they got out and are on their way to being healed. My heart weeps for those still entangled.

This is not an easy subject to discuss but as Christians we need to be aware the enemy is still at work and he will break anyone simply because we are all made in the image of God and are beloved of Him.

Not a very cheerful post this time alas but it is not a cheerful matter either.
Graham
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Englishman, I like your perspective. Two things you wrote really resonated with me:

Englishman wrote:It's worth noting those who truly get into that life do not, unlike rappers, rockers, goths or whoever, talk about it because what they do is vile and wretched.

And:

Englishman wrote:Can you sell your soul to the enemy? Yes you can but the price Jesus paid on the cross is far more than enough to redeem anyone, no matter what they"ve done and there is healing and hope for all of us.

Thanks for sharing.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 pm

I don't ever see anyone, in person, sell their soul to the devil. But I can believe that there are individuals who take what they think are great deals with selling their soul to the devil. I see it might be a possibility, and there is some sin that will never be forgiven. The man who would become Antichrist is such a one surely. Some may sell their soul to obtain the most unlikely thing to them, say to be president or something.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:40 pm

My understanding of The Unforgiveable Sin is that it is the attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the enemy. As when the pharisees declared that Jesus was casting out demons in the name of the Prince of demons. It would seem that even selling one's soul is something one can be forgiven for, which says a lot about the potentcy of the cross & the wonderful nature of God's grace.
Graham
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 pm

That is unforgivable. That does not mean that all others are forgiven all their sins. Many are not ever forgiven, they just don't ever turn to God in repentance. The way is narrow. So that does not seem to exclude any from selling their soul to the devil, to just get more here in this life, with hell ahead anyway. The only way out from that is having the real repentance, which is just not possible with the unforgivable sin.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Englishman wrote:Can you sell your soul to the enemy? Yes you can but the price Jesus paid on the cross is far more than enough to redeem anyone,

Thank you Englishman, this line brought to mind Paul’s writing (don’t know the reference) that we have all sold ourselves as slaves to sin, but are redeemed (a transaction) by the sacrifice of Christ for us
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity